2012-13 Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you have it yesterday? If not, you may want to let Jardy know. He tweeted you had it yesterday.

2. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    good, then he has no excuses next season, right?

3. LaddM

LaddM Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've actually heard otherwise about Duka. My understanding was the issue was with RW and has nothing to do with FO or the team. The players I have talked with really like Duka.

4. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marshall has zero trade value as far as I can tell. He's one of the highest paid defenders in the league, if not the highest. He's just come off 2 sub par seasons, post-season ankle surgery and has a history of concussion.

He needs to refocus and have a chance to turn things around. Doing so without the captains armband might be easier.

5. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cite the sources or move on.

6. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best sources on the internet are either "my waitperson (non-gender) at Applebees" or a drunken Crew player after yet another cluster******** by the coach". You pick.

7. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You don't say. Still doesn't mean we can't call people out on it.

8. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes, we might have reputable sources that we don't like to reveal for fear of not being able to get info from them anymore...

9. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hence the oft-quoted applebee's waitress....

10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duka is a douche. I heard that from an Applebee's waitress the day after she had a drunken cluster**** WITH a Crew player. Close enough?

11. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Color me unimpressed.

12. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    is that like color me badd?

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tick tock, ya don't stop

14. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm willing to bet you still have the concert tee

THOMA GOL repped this.
  15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's framed with candles surrounding it

THOMA GOL repped this.
  16. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you should trim your beard to give it that nasty early 90's suave look

17. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, just to play along, my guess is your problem with my post is the salary statement.

http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/October 1, 2012 Salary Information - By Club.pdf

From this document I took a glance through and of the players listed with position of D, Marshall at $341Kis the 4th highest paid defender in the league. He is behind DP Marquez at $4.6mil, TFC's stellar pairing of O'Dea $436K and Eckersley $390K (WHAT!) and Jay Demeritt at $350. Only one other defender in the league makes more than $300K and that is Heath Pearce at $301.

Other notables: Omar Gonzalez $257K, Collin $216K, Olave $250K, Ceasar $255K, Hurtado $161K, Califf $275K

The other statements were either confirmed elsewhere in this thread (ankle surgery) patently obvious (he was the captain and has had concussions) and anecdotal (he has had a couple of sub par years).

I stand by those statements.

These statements were in response to someone saying that we should trade Marshall. My reason for making the statements was to refute that. Trading him sends his contract along with him and I don't think there are many teams that would take that on or could afford to if they wanted him.

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  18. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stylin ...

[​IMG]

C-bus repped this.
  19. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you TrueCrew for the excellent analysis. Given Bliss's remarks it looks like the Crew will lose 6 to 9 players this year. This is my guess, not what I want, but what I am guessing. I think there are some "we keep this guy or that guy but not both" conversations happening.

1. Vargas, F, International, 170k/175k. Too expensive for production. I don't think his style of play works in RW-land, maybe even the MLS.
    2. Hesmer, GK, 170k/181k. Sure the Crew love him but still too expensive as a backup.
    3. Vukovic, D, International, 108k/125k. Not what the Crew want in a wing defender.
    4. Mendes, D, 103k/106k, From what I read he is out of contract. Good solid contributor but I think he up against James and Gehrig to stay and since he is out of contract, this will be easy call.
    5. Horton, F, 55k/75k, Homegrown. Public complaining is not tolerated even if you are the first Homegrown player.
    6a. Tchani, M, Green Card, 105k/209k.
    6b. Duka, M, 110k/243k. I think the Crew will try to trade one of these players or keep both and get rid of Mirosevic. Personally I think Duka/Grossman and Tchani/Balchan/George could be solid with proper coaching [cough].
    7. O'Rourke, M/D, 133k/146k. Also out of contract. Versatility and "hard work" helps but injury concerns put him on the bubble.
    8. Schoenfeld, F, 34k/34k. If Heinemann is back he will lose his target status but he is so cheap he might stay.
    9. Miranda, D, International, 135k/140k, Since I read he is out of contract do they let him go even though he has been solid for a fair price for 2 years. And without a clear backup.

With the first 6 out that would free up 2 international slots and $711k - 905k. If that went to all 9 it would be 3 international slots $1013k - $1225k. I am guessing the Crew will be looking at the 6 or 7 range.

20. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this except I would take Miranda off there and put on Renteria

21. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we'll keep both Miranda and Renteria.

There's no way we'd want to give up Miranda, there's a reason he's among the team leaders in minutes played. Unless he demands a giant raise to a DP salary, he's coming back.

I think we'll keep Renteria too. He's not super expensive, and even though Arrieta is now our first choice striker, Renteria still got called just about every game, even if it was as a sub. Check the season stats, only Gaven, Gruenebaum, Miranda, and Williams appeared in more games for us this season. That's a really impressive stat for someone who was relegated to the bench for the last half of the season.

22. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your list is pretty close. I've hear rumblings that Renteria's on the list. Your first five are pretty spot on in my mind. I would like to think that Vukovic is NOT on the list, but we all know better. O'Rourke probably comes back but at a much reduced salary given his injury history. I think Miranda stays too. And, I think Mirosevic stays.

23. Crew Cat

Crew Cat Member

May 28, 2008
    "Tchani has always been a favorite of mine, but my perception is that he and Duka are part of the "me" generation who wants everyone to fawn all over them and hand them a spot and playing time. No one "deserves" playing time- you have to shut up, put in work, and EARN your spot. Humility is a trait that is seldom recognized and celebrated by this younger generation. These guys would be wise to look it up and dwell on that during the offseason. See Gaven, Eddie and Marshall, Chad for good examples of this."

This! Last year Tchani signed his whole name on my team poster, this year all I got was a "T T #6!" Seriously, though, the guys who endear themselves to the fans (GBS learning English while here, but Renteria hasn't, for example) are the ones older fans want to keep around.

And Heritage, I wish Chad well and hope he returns even beter! (Now, get him to accept my "friend" request, haha!)

Crew Cat

THOMA GOL repped this.
  24. Brandon24

Brandon24 New Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Not sure what Dilly's sister has to do with any of this but I had the pleasure of meeting her when she came to a home game and she was incredibly sweet and down to earth! And not to mention, I was quite taken aback! Ha

And I must say, that's quite the Halloween costume!

25. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I agree with the Miranda and minute argument. If Jardy is correct and there is only going to be organic turnover (that might be paraphrased) it probably means that players who are on the end of their contracts, and probably did not feature in the first team much, will be released. Anyone still on contract, but did not see too much playing time (Renteria) may move on, or be traded.

Basically I expect that the core of the team will remain, with perhaps only the fringe players looking to be traded.

Unless with Higuain salary cap issues come into play?