2012-13 Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Warzycha will.

2. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @AdamJardy: Three players whose contracts I know are up for the #crew96: William Hesmer, Sebastian Miranda and Danny O'Rourke.

@AdamJardy: Also, #crew96 has a club option on Tony Tchani and Carlos Mendes' contract is up.

3. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Even if Duka didn't have the off the field/attitude problems people are saying, I've been so unimpressed with his play that I would rather trade him for another Chris Birchall type MLS veteran.

When we blew up the team the first time and only had a few guys that were legit MLS veterans (and most of those guys were still young relative to that status like Hesmer, Marshall and Gaven), and the old veterans were replaced by guys that were brought in from outside the league.

So while I don't like how RW rebuilt the team, I also don't want it dismantled and fall into the trap of TFC. I'd much rather plug the gaps with some guys who are know the league and we know what we're getting.

4. soccerscott27

soccerscott27 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I would allow all of these players to go with the possible exception of Miranda. The reason being age (lost a step), high salary, and/or injury. We also have others who can fill those positions. The only other one that I would keep would possibly be Tchani, if he would accept a much lower salary (which I doubt he would). I would attempt to sign one or both (Matt Wiet-Akron and Chad Barson-UCLA) of the college senior homegrown players that play defense, as they do not count against the cap. Of course I would also offer Trapp, but would not be hopeful.

Your suggestion is likely to be what Warzycha will do. I would also agree with allowing Duka to move to another team that will use him properly and not have to be stuck with such a horrible coach. From the games I saw him play in Europe before last season he played extremely well and was playing CAM. This situation is not beneficial for Duka. Sadly, this is the case for any young player of any quality attack for this team, as long as Warzycha is coach. I am glad that Warzycha at least recognized that Williams would enjoy playing at CB or RB instead of left back in his post game the other day. I still bet he will be playing left back, as we will pick another forward or CAM with our fist pick and force that player to play LM. We really need a large holding forward with some skill especially with the head or a RB/LB in the draft.

I would only use Birchall as a backup.

By the end of next season I figure Warzycha will be upset with Higuain for attempting to guide the players on the field or some other stupid reason. And if we make the playoff sit him in the first playoff game to teach him some "responsibility" or is it submissiveness.

5. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't want to move Duka. I want us to value players who can pass and create. Young attacking talents take longer to make an impact usually than defenders or DMC. I just think he has the talent and would hate to move him on because we didnt use or coach him right.

6. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Definitely hot but higher or lower maintenance than Dilly?

Answer is don't matter, Rogers sisters are hotter.

7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rogers sisters are more real beauties. Duka's sister looks like she has had a boob job and a nose job. Blech.

8. StatesideSoccer

May 17, 2010
    Michigan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thecrew.com/news/2012/10/bliss-outlines-offseason-plans

Bliss says there will probably be 25-30 percent turnover. He also hints at:

- Any international and/or big moves would be to plug holes in the back.

- Super Draft action will probably focus on filling the bottom rungs of the front line.

- Finley will probably get another year to develop

- In terms of HG signings, out of Wil Trapp, Chad Barson, Matt Wiet and Justin Luthy, there is probably only room to sign two this year. (With the needs outlined above, Trapp will probably not be signing this year. So if Hesmer is gone, Luthy is one of those signings. That leaves Barson and Wiet competing for the last spot.)

Discuss.

On a side note: You all are off your rockers if you think Milo's gone. I lost track of how many "his value goes far beyond his on the field contributions" articles/comments that were circulated this year. Then again, nothing is certain.

9. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I guess I'm either wishful thinking and/or off my rockers

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  10. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What was that about having one true forward on the roster? While the quality isn't great aren't they forgetting Vargas, Heineman, Schoenfield, etc? Or are they all gone

11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this line...
    Oh, you thought Vukovic did well? Thank goodness the Rifle left him to rot on the bench.

12. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I take that as, "Vuko should have been playing there from the get go, and not Williams."
    He pretty much says later that having a natural lefty at left back is one of the top priorities.

I also like the fact that he doesn't let injuries be the excuse for the defensive breakdown at the end of the season:

13. TZPrince

TZPrince Member

Oct 13, 2009
    You can have a "true" forward on the roster...does not mean they have to be a "good" true forward. Vargas should stay, Heineman and Schoenfield can go. Not even just for depth..I say take a chance on a couple others like they did with these two and see if they pan out better.

14. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think the Crew FO will let Marshall go, you don't know the Crew. They'll let Chad play as long as he wants and go out on his terms. The FO feels he's earned it. The Crew is BIG on loyalty, sometimes to a fault.

I think the FO will say the same thing about Danny O and Hesmer. Danny has made less of an impact and frankly SHOULD retire due to injuries, but they'll keep him as well. Hesmer will get a run-out in training camp to see if he is good to go for the season. if he is, one of our two top goalies will be traded- most likely the Hammer as he has the most value right now. We could opick up a good center back in exchange for him.

Vuko is a question mark. From comments I've read (too lazy to find them), Bob said that he didn't play poorly, but he got injured and never won the spot back from Williams.

I think Bobliss (see what I did there?) will have to choose between Renteria and Vargas. They will choose Renteria as he is more of a bruiser and the league as a whole will be influenced by the success of the "Bash Brothers" in San Jose and the success they've had.

Tchani has always been a favorite of mine, but my perception is that he and Duka are part of the "me" generation who wants everyone to fawn all over them and hand them a spot and playing time. No one "deserves" playing time- you have to shut up, put in work, and EARN your spot. Humility is a trait that is seldom recognized and celebrated by this younger generation. These guys would be wise to look it up and dwell on that during the offseason. See Gaven, Eddie and Marshall, Chad for good examples of this.

Schoenfeld and Mendes will be gone as well.

15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no way that we trade our team MVP and put an often injured keeper back in the starting spot.

Will and Danny O have not earned the level of respect of Chad so I think they will both be gone.

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will is gone. Andy G has more upside at this point and is about $100,000 less per season. Will may very well be done, done as well.

Danny O'Rourke SHOULD be gone, but I get the feeling that RW will push hard to keep him.

Marshall, will not be cut by the Crew. But he could be traded. At this point, even at 28, he's like a used car. His value will never be as high as it is today. The same goes for tomorrow. He CAN be a dominant force in the league still, but I think he has more value to us as trade bait.

17. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like they let Frankie and GBS?

crewfan_in_columbus and Kryptonite repped this.
  18. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now, now, now.... let's not let past precedent set current expecations, mkay?

cam5fc repped this.
  19. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GBS was only with the Crew for four seasons. If we're honest, I think everyone knew this was his swan song here in Columbus after putting in 16 years in Argentina. He was done.
    Granted, Frankie is harder to explain although he was well paid and injured for much of the final two seasons.
    I counter Frankie with Duncan.

20. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4 years? So what? Kyle Martino was with the Crew for 5. Did he deserve a better send off?

GBS endeared himself to the city of Columbus and the fans of the Crew more than most other players who spend more time in Columbus than he did just by how he'd express him love for this town and the club. That combined with his accomplishments with the club put him up there. He and Frankie deserved better.

Either way, if Marshall keeps giving heart and soul (and I expect better from him in terms of effort next season), then he deserves the graceful exit on his terms that GBS and Frankie didn't.

21. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep Danny he is too useful, He can play mid,cb and lb and he is a local boy.

StatesideSoccer repped this.
  22. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing that GBS means a lot more to the fans than he does to the Crew FO

23. Heritage

Heritage New Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Just heard that Chad will be having ankle surgery during the off-season. Not making excuses for him, but this may be why his play lacked "effort" on his part.
    Carry on

24. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Chad. Hope you are doing well

25. Heritage

Heritage New Member