2012-13 Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swellster

Swellster Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Dallas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course he has earned the right to be here. I agree that he SHOULD be entering his prime, but it didn't look like it this year or last year. I am not on the "he is fat" bandwagon because that is ridiculous. At times though he did not look match fit. I give him sort of a pass early in the year because of the injury just before the season and in the middle because of the concussion. What concerns me more than his physical fitness is his mental state. He just doesn't seem to have the same fire that we are used to seeing. Maybe that is the concussions catching up to him or the complete ineptitude of the head guy on the bench, I am not sure. Towards the end of this season I thought the armband should have gone to someone different. I think he should be back, and I hope he uses this off-season to get as physically prepared as possible. We need him to lead and be the Chad we expect to see. If the problem is because he is fed up with the manager then I think he has to move on because unfortunately I think we are stuck with RFW.

2. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a better LB than Williams, IMO. If not, he's definitely just as good, which means that Williams should have been moved to CB.

The biggest problem that this club has faced in the past 4 years is Robert's pride and ego. Vuko and Duka are great examples of this.

I think there was honestly NO INTENTION of playing either the rest of the year, but necessity forced his hand. Both only as subs. The only time Vuko started the second half of the year was a result of Williams' red card. Duka made only two (maybe 3) appearances as a sub in matches where we absolutely needed a more offensive threat and he was the guy that could do it.

3. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Duka, if the FO or he does not want to return I hope we trade him for another quality MLS player instead of just a draft pick or letting him go.

4. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the big thing. I just don't think he was in it this season.

Whatever could that mean? :rolleyes:

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    And people said the same thing when we weren't playing Griffit. That Robert was an idiot and his ego led to the Frenchman not playing...

As for the Duka issues - those go far beyond just RW. As much as I know, he's alienated himself from his fellow players and those in the FO as well with is attitude and behavior.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    You have a whole thread for that - take it there.

7. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never realize that Dilly was an incredible d-bag. How out of the loop am I? :eek:

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Does anyone honestly believe that his departure from the club several weeks ago - was to tend to his family? Come on now. He pissed off the club and the club told him to go home and take a break. I'll be shocked if he's around next year - it's like that Szetela kid all over again...

9. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must be a Jersey thing.

10. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should keep just about everybody because we have a lot of talent and it was only the soccer gods that kept us from MLS Cup. The people we should get rid of are talented young attacking midfielders who get frustrated when they are subbed out of games. Lets get rid of them to teach them a lesson about "responsibility."

11. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ah the 2013-2014 season. Where the Crew and Toronto fight for bottom place trophy and RW will blame Hurricane Sandy.

chr1st repped this.
  12. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that Mirosevic is out of contract, if he is then he signed for one year and I have never seen MLS sign a guy on a one year deal without some type of option to extend it.

I would hope to see Gehrig go, or at least not play at CB. I don't understand why Bob keep's playing him there.

I agree keep Duka

13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you're obviously being hyperbolic, but the truth is, despite missing the playoffs, we're not terrible.

First, this isn't 1998 or 2002 when missing the MLS playoffs was a complete embarrassment. Second, we missed out by one lousy point, and finished with more points than a team that qualified. Hell, we were only two points behind the Galaxy, and four points behind the Great Seattle Green Wave of Awesomeness [/sarcasm].

Historically, this Crew team was actually pretty decent, record-wise. By year:
    15-17
    15-17
    15-17
    19-13 (which was actually more like 13-13-6, when you figure the shootout effects)
    11-16-5
    13-7-6 (shortened due to 9/11)
    11-12-5
    10-12-8
    12-5-13
    11-16-5
    8-15-9
    9-11-10
    17-7-6
    13-7-10
    14-8-8
    13-13-8
    15-12-7
    The records in blue indicate the only seasons where we won a higher percentage of available points than we did this year.

We struggled this year, no question. But even with those struggles -- the injuries, being rocked by a death, having a coach who appears to be over his skis -- we're really not THAT far away. Especially when you consider how much better this club was (talent-wise and play-wise) in the second half of the season. Would anyone dare to say we're actually worse this year than we were last year, based solely on the fact that we missed the playoffs?

We handed away a ton of points early in the season just by making stupid mistakes. That's correctable. Get a coach who knows what he's doing, and we're in the hunt. It's inches -- not miles.

foozer, DK021 and TrueCrew repped this.
  14. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Points Per Game:
    2009: 1.63
    2010: 1.67
    2011: 1.38
    2012: 1.53

Linear Trend: Negative Trend
    Equation of the line: Y= -0.0596x+1.702

Goals For Per Game:
    2009: 1.367
    2010: 1.333
    2011: 1.265
    2012: 1.294

Linear Trend: Negative Trend
    Equation of the line: Y= -0.0286x+1.3863

Goals Allowed Per Game:
    2009: 1.033
    2010: 1.133
    2011: 1.294
    2012: 1.294

Linear Trend: "Positive" Trend - In that a positive trend is bad
    Equation of the line: Y= 0.0943x+0.9529

Goal Differential over Four Years: +15
    Goal Differental over Last Two Years: -1

foozer repped this.
  15. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Please refrain from using logic and data to assert a theory or confirm a hypothesis.

What I want to see is a another Roster Overhaul. Call it RW3.0-

Any good business follows the rule of firing the bottom 10%. So since certain players make less than others they are clearly worth less. Fire the worthless.

16. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post KC.

One more thing is that I'm never in favor of getting rid of guys just to get rid of them. Or at least, players who were contributing. You have to either have someone better on the club already, or be committed to going out and signing someone better who you are fairly sure wants to be here.

Duka has never been a wide player, but since Robert can't play w/out two DMs, he got forced out there. Frankly, Speas seems a decent replacement for him. Meram is not.

17. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The flip side of that is late in the year we won 5 games in a row with goals after the 85th minute. How replicable is that? If other teams make ordinary improvements for next year will we be better than say Montreal? IMO the Crew were hurt less by injuries than most of the conference. What if we'd lost Higuain the way DC lost DeRosario? I'd say the Crew actually benefited from injuries overall in that Gruenebaum had a better 2012 than Hesmer had a 2011.

What do you base your second half improvement claim on? Our 7 game streak after Urso's death when we played the bottom teams in the conference? We didn't get results late in the year against the playoff teams in the East so we missed the playoffs. That wasn't bad luck, just the way we are.

18. mmradio13

mmradio13 Member+

Apr 13, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really understand why so many people are campaigning for Gehrig to be let go. I'd much rather let go of James and Mendes- 100k is too much for a backup defender that really isn't that good (I know people on here think that James is fantastic. He is a good guy, but I don't think he is a good player. Just remember that D.C. United let him go.).

Gehrig seems to be very well-liked in the locker room, is the reserve team captain, and is a good backup center back making the league minimum. Do I ever think he will be a starter? No. Do I feel comfortable with him starting 5 games a year if necessary? Yes.

19. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? If it were New York, RSL, or Los Angeles who did that, we'd all be sitting here saying "Wow -- those guys are clutch. They just have a knack for making plays late."
    I'm not saying we don't need to make, as you put it, ordinary improvements right along with them. I'm just saying we're not in bad shape to start with.
    We'd have bombed.
    I call BS. OK, the Hammer worked out well for us (if you don't count the three-point gaffe in Houston that can be argued was our undoing, but I digress), but DOR, Miro, Tchani, Vuko, Marshall, Mendes, James -- he'll, I'd bet that if Duka doesn't get hurt early on, his season would have been dramatically different. And it's hard to get any chemistry with a revolving door.

I'm basing it largely on the arrivals of Arrieta and Higuain, to be sure, but also on the fact that our offense finally came to life when we were depending on it to get results. Not as many as we needed, in the end, but certainly more than we got in the first half. And in this league, 7 unbeaten is 7 unbeaten.

20. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can we just cut RW bring on the Crewsers and just leave it be?

21. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd disagree on that. Hesmer had a very, very mediocre 2011. Now, he didn't have any (at least that I can recall) memorable gaffes that cost us a full 3 or 1 here or there, but he was at fault for a fair share of goals. HebHam was stellar all season long. Even his bad matches were still good matches. Hesmer, based of his 2011 performance, cannot be argued that he'd have been a redeeming light and keep us in the playoff hunt as Andy did for us this year.

The defense, also, was much more solid for Hesmer last year than the revolving door that is was for Andy this year. The degree of difficulty for Andy's job was much higher, and he still outperformed Hesmer's '11.

foozer, POdinCowtown and chr1st repped this.
  22. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're misunderstanding what I was getting at.

I threw in the line about the Hammer costing us three points just because I'm trying to illustrate just how close we are. Having Gruenebaum in goal certainly worked out to our advantage. My larger point, however, was that even though that one particular injury wound up helping us, the other injuries hurt us way, way more. PO'd was trying to say injuries didn't hurt us much relative to other clubs, and I see that differently.

23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, okay... fair enough. Took that comment in a vacuum.

24. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Crew lost games from a lot of players but we have good depth as shown by our reserve crown. We had a rotating cast of characters but most were about as good as the guys they replaced. Our goals allowed wasn't much worse in the games Marshall missed. Lampson did ok when called upon to replace Gruenebaum. Gaven and Arrieta stayed healthy. Higuain only missed a few minutes. Everyone else such as O'Rourke, Heinemann, Anor, etc was replaceable.

Other teams lost (or let go) players who were mainstays. Some such as TFC suffered for it, others such as Chicago (Pappa) or DC (DeRosario) overcame. The Crew didn't have much to overcome and succeeded to the extent needed. I don't think injuries are a valid excuse for the Crew missing the playoffs.

25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We battled injuries most of the year. But we were in playoff position with 7-8 games to go and went 2-4-1 before the TFC game to miss out. We were pretty much healthy in that stretch minus Balchan and Higuain for a game. And Marshall for a couple.

Did we lose some points due to injury? Yes.

Were we pretty healthy down the stretch with a chance to get in the playoffs? Yes.

Ergo, I don't think one can blame us missing the playoffs on injuries.

hardhead repped this.