2012-13 Crew Offseason Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by POdinCowtown, Oct 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I know Duka and Tchani have high cap numbers due to their Gen A status but the team doesn't pay all of it do they? In other words I think the part of their compensation that covers college costs is paid by the league rather than the team. That might knock 30K or more off their salaries. It's hard to believe Duka would make triple what Speas gets. The flip side of that is that cutting or trading them doesn't clear up as much cap space.

Does anyone else agree with me that we could skip the superdraft without any harm? We could trade picks for players or future picks in years when we need to get younger. We're already fairly young as is and might be adding some more home growns next year.

2. NUFC Fan

NUFC Fan Member+

Apr 8, 2007
    Cbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Didn't they come off of GenA before this year even started? I remembered some talk of Tchani being extended due to his injury last December, but I thought that didn't happen.

3. OSCrew

OSCrew Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The players that I think need to go - Hesmer, Gerhig, Tchani, Schoenfeld

Players that are right on the edge. Caveman, Duka, James, Milo, Vukovich, Vargas

I'd like to see all of the 50/50 guys stay except for Heineman, we should be able to sign a homegrown player that can take that spot, maybe a speed guy. I'd like to keep Vargas and Milo around. I think Vargas can the short end of Bobby's wrath this year. He is the best target forward that we have, and a full, healthy preseason could really bring out the best in him, along with Higgy's service. I think I rank Milo higher than most people on this board, but I love his play-style. He tracks back and plays defesnivley when he has too, and is solid in possession. We desperatly need to sign a real left back so we can move Williams to CB. A left mid or maybe a DM signing wouldn't hurt, but we have capable players, especially if Duka or Speas can stand out next preseason.

I'm very optimistic for next year, even if Bobby is still coach.

4. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Duka and Tchani both graduated from Gen A contracts last year, so their salary's count against the Cap.

5. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Miranda is the guy who played the most minutes for us that I think needs to go. Similarly to the decline shown by Frankie in 2009, Miranda was just plain awful this year IMO. The bad thing is, as has been discussed here over multiple posts, we still have an issue at left back, introducing one at right back might not be the best idea. I think this team gets significantly better if you put nearly anyone in that spot over what has played there in 2012.

Tchani is a decent player that I would keep at $90k. At $250k he is a must cut. I am not sure what the MLS rules are, but my guess is that if we hold the option on his contract that we can't renegotiate without putting him on waivers. I'd take the chance and at worst we saddle the competition with his bloated salary and move on. At best, we get him back at a wage commensurate with his play.

Along with Tchani, the rest of the central midfielders we have on the roster just haven't been up to scratch. It was a problem last year and continued this time around. Barely any goals and assists; all players on the roster listed as M at MLSnet on our roster not named Eddie combined for 9 goals and 11 assists. That includes a few guys that played mostly on the left, but not Renteria and Meram. That just doesn't cut it. Many of the elite central midfielders in this league do close those numbers on their own.

I said earlier in the year, I believe as part of my rant when I joined the Fire RW crowd, that it is the production from the guys making $100k plus where we weren't good enough. Guys making $100k or (much) more in this league need to be competent starters if not outright stars. Tchani, O'Rourke, Vargas, Duka, Mirosevic, Birchall, James, Vukovic, Miranda, Hesmer and Marshall all pulled in a lot of cash but didn't provide a lot value.

I give Marshall a pass, though as a near DP level salary, he better come back ready to be a beast next year. His contract is good enough to pick up 2 or 3 of the guys who were center back all stars.

Hesmer has to go, can't pay that kind of money for a back up and Lampson is good enough now to be that guy for a fraction of the cost.

Hard to think about all this now with the bitter taste of the end of the season still in my mouth. I've rambled on too much as it is and I seem to have 1000 more words ready to go....

6. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    The chick with tits better come back to the Nordecke.

7. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any scenario that protects Schoenfeld should end up with the entire coaching staff and front office lined up against a wall.

Micheluzzo, eboe and invalid repped this.
  8. pastor

pastor Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Tchani. Duka AND Marshall all over priced. If Chad goes on a diet Crew should consider keeping him. If not its time to let go.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Skeleton Crew and patricksp repped this.
  10. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And... the brilliant analysis award goes to...

11. forzareggina

forzareggina Member

Reggina
    United States
    Aug 24, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Reggina Calcio
    Vargas-Arrieta in 2013 ;) i want the partnership to happen!!!!

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be tempted to dump Tchani just based on the attitude, but he's also been not a good player at all. Hesmer is probably done. I'd be tempted to keep Marshall, but if he gets one more bump, I don't want him to turn into the next Ross Paule.

13. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am really surprised at how many people want to hack through the team. Cutting like 10 to 12 players seems extreme. If the FO did this we would be screaming like it was 2010 again.
    And why all the Vargas love? 1 goal for 175k?

14. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, and I know others have gone down this path, but mine is conjecture about who RW et al will cut. The players I've listed are the likely ones. I don't necessarily agree with all of them.

15. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My "should be gone" list:
    Tchani
    Schoenfeld
    O'Rourke
    Gehrig
    Hesmer

Micheluzzo repped this.
  16. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    chr1st, foozer, cam5fc and 2 others repped this.
  17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't really think it is Vargas love, per se, more like "give the guy a chance with some competent people feeding him". Vargas and Arietta up top with a withdrawn Higuain might just be something to reckon with.

I am a Vuko fan, but the guy is in the doghouse. It's not injury. I talked to him at the awards ceremony, and frankly, he has quality that needs to be playing somewhere.

Pastor, you really need to take that "Chad is fat" meme and ride it all the way out of these forums, because it's utter bullshit.

I think Miranda is a pretty good right back, and we shouldn't get rid of him. If Bob's head was not so far up his ass, he would see that Vuko on the left and Chad and Josh are the CB team to beat...

Frankly, I can't wait for the door to hit Tchani in his ass on the way out. The guy is pretty much useless. I'm thinking Schoenfeld might be right up there with him. Schoenfeld seems to be Ryan Coinier II. For what it's worth, I don't think the team is too interested in keeping Renteria around. Sometimes the guy seems more concerned with how good he looks off the field than how good he plays on the field.

All in all, it seems to come down to the fact that lots of our players show flashes of brilliance from time to time, but they just seem to not be able to live up to their potential, or produce consistently. I don't know if that is bad coaching or what, but Warzycha needs to be the first person cut. It drives me crazy that he preaches "RESPONSIBILITY" but then takes NONE of it on himself.

18. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those tits have to be fake...

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A lot depends on if Warzycha is retained or not. If he stays, then guys like Vukovic and Duka are surely gone. If he is gone, then maybe those guys stick around.

I think we'll lose at least six guys for sure if Robert stays: Hesmer (retires), Vargas (didn't work out), Schoenfeld (not good enough) + Vukovich, Duka, and Horton (RW hates them, and they don't like him much either).

Then we have two groups of guys who could go. Younger fringe types (Gehrig, Findley, Heinemann) and vets who have largish price tags or are out of contract (Mirosevic, O'Rourke, Renteria, Tchani, Mendes). Some other young guys could be in trouble, but I hope we keep them (Meram, Grossman, George, Anor).

Here's my list/grouping on what we should do (not necessarily a guess at what will happen).

I. Core players moving forward = Keep
    1. Higuain, M/F, DP, International, 160k/324k (probably pro-rated)
    2. Arrieta, F, International, 216k/225k
    3. Gaven, M, 190k/195k
    4. Gruenebaum, GK, 77k/79k
    5. Miranda, D, 135k/140k
    6. Marshall, D, 310k/341k (despite subpar campaign, Chad has earned the benefit of the doubt)

II. Most Promising Youngsters = Keep
    7. Williams, D, 44k/44k
    8. Balchan, D/M, 51k/68k
    9. Speas, M/F, Homegrown (off-budget), 58k/58k
    10. Lampson, GK, Homegrown, 44k/44k

III. Moderately priced Vets = Keep
    11. Birchall, M, International, 102k/109k
    12. James, D, Green Card, 100k/100k

IV. Less promising, but also less expensive, youngsters = Probably Keep
    13. Meram, M/F, 46k/70k
    14. Anor, M/D, 44k/44k
    15. George, M, 34k/34k
    16. Grossman, M, 44k/44k

Now things start to get a bit tougher.

V. More Expensive Vets/Out of Contract = Tough decisions
    17. Mirosevic, M, International, 200k/223. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great either.
    18. Tchani, M, Green Card, 105k/209k. Got better when played at CM.
    19. O'Rourke, M/D, 133k/146k. Still versatile, but health AND quality now becoming an issue.
    20. Renteria, M/F, International, 132k/133k.
    21. Mendes, D, 103k/106k. Solid. Out of contract. I'd keep him, but who knows?

VI. Younger guys more on the fringe
    22. Finlay, M/F, 44k/59k (more on the fringe)
    23. Heinemann, F, 47k/47k (how he looks after the injury probably a factor)
    24. Gehrig, D/M, 44k/44k. Yes, he screws up some, but he is versatile, and is known.

VII. Guys I think will be gone for one reason or another
    25. Hesmer, GK, 170k/181k. Retirement. Love to have him back, but I think he retires.
    26. Vukovic, D, International, 108k/125k. OK player. RW hates him.
    27. Duka, M, 110k/243k. Doens't get along with coach. Love to have him back, but..RW issue
    28. Vargas, F, International, 170k/175k. Too expensive for a bench player. Never settled in.
    29. Schoenfeld, F, 34k/34k. Not good enough for MLS.
    30. Horton, F, 55k/75k, Homegrown. He hates Warzycha. It may be mutual.
    ===========================

POdinCowtown and CrewV Man repped this.
  20. deadhamlet44

deadhamlet44 Member

Sep 15, 2005
    columbus
    We need a right Back. Miranda is getting up there in years. We need a solid back up or at least start grooming someone. (not Danny) Williams would fit there nicely, but well you know.

21. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    [​IMG]

22. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Um, you know who should go? Some jack wagon nicknamed Bobby Rifle who preaches responsibility, responsibility, responsibility in which he has no clue what that word means.

23. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just read the Crew Review in the dispatch - Jardy said that Hesmer is now out of contract? I thought he had a year left.

24. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a club option?

25. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone has become a Vuko fan since he's been sitting on the bench. When he was playing I don't remember him getting this much love.