2012-13 CONCACAF Champions League qualifiers/news

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by ceezmad, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Art Vandaley

Art Vandaley Member

Feb 22, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure they will make something up on the spot. There is nothing official out there that I can find.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From Paul Calixte blog

https://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/usa...13-qualifiers-when-the-champion-goes-missing/

CCL 2012-13 Qualifiers
    1. Seattle Sounders [USA2]
    2. LA Galaxy [USA1]
    3. Real Salt Lake [USA4]
    4. Houston Dynamo [USA3]
    5. Chorrillo FC [PAN1 or PAN2]
    6. Santos Laguna [MEX2 or MEX3]
    7. Tigres UANL [MEX1]
    8. Olimpia [HON1 or HON2]
    9. Isidro Metapán [SLV1]
    10. Municipal [GUA1 or GUA2]
    11. LD Alajuelense [CRC1 or CRC2]
    12. Real Estelí [NCA]
    13. Águila [SLV2]

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Of note regarding the CFU: Only professional teams will be able to play in the CCL. So, even if the amateurs win the top 3 spots of the CFU, they still won't be able to participate in CCL, even though CONCACAF promised to subsidize their travel expenses.

Which makes amateur teams' participation nothing more than spoiler attempts, as there is only 1 professional team that the amateurs can bump from the CCL.

Not fair at all, IMO.

5. JG

JG Member+

Jun 27, 1999
  6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    The Mexican Football Federation has released their CCL double-qualification contingency plans: http://www.femexfut.org.mx/portalv2/aspx/WEB_DetalleNoticia.aspx?pnIDNtca=38649

Personally, I don't like it. Conventional wisdom would dictate that combined regular season points would determine the double-qualification beneficiaries. But not in this setup.

To summarize: Beneficiaries to vacated spots are determined by half-season points. That's right, the slots are set in stone according to the half-season they correspond to. In other words, MEX1 and MEX3 will only be determined by Fall 2011 results. MEX2 and MEX4 will only be determined by Spring 2012 results.

So, Tigers have MEX1 locked up no matter what. If MEX3 gets vacated, it can only be filled by Club Guadalajara. Only Mt and Club America can take the MEX2 and/or MEX4 spots in a double-qual situation.

This is a strange setup, since full-season points have usually been used. I think it's a little suspicious that Guadalajara, a popular team, benefits from this new setup. Because we all know that they wouldn't benefit from a combined-points setup. Hmm...

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And America, they had a horrible apertura.

General table for the full year with the top 3 teams:

Morelia 57
    MTY 56
    cruz azul 54

Then the 2 with possibilities to qualify. Looks like the big two are getting a hand.

America 47
    Chivas 45

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  8. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's so ****ing stupid. El Salvador has consistently been the worst Central American representative. This should have gone to Honduras or Costa Rica. What a farce.

9. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    I'm not finne cry about it.. We'll probably earn that spot back this coming CCL with Olimpia. They always seem to put our country on their back seeing as they've already won two CCLs before.

10. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So what happens when either Santos or Tigres returns to the final? Crappy Chivas qualifies to the CCL?

11. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Only if SL wins the whole thing. If not, then Mt and America.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Marathon will be the second team to represent Honduras. Book it

14. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didnt quiet follow, but you saying that the 4th slot for mexico will be America or Chivas? thats not a bad deal. If it were based on 2 seasons, and performances in playoffs, then wouldnt America make it anyway?
    Tigres
    Santos L
    Monterrey
    ?Chivas/America

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do believe Morelia would be #4 if full year results are counted (they are top for full regular season and I believe they made the semifinals for apertura).

16. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok, i sort of get this. if monterrey win the championship next week then that means they take Mex2 spot, and Mex4 will go to America since Mex3 would go to Santos. if monterrey lose to tigres, then they still take Mex 2 spot. if they lose to Santos, then Santos take Mex 2 and Monterrey takes Mex 4, with Mex 3 going to the 3rd highest team from Fall tourney is morelia (?)

17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You got all of it right, except for the last part. Mex3 would go to Fall tourney's Superleader, Guadalajara.

The order of hand-me-down goes like this: If champion vacates it, then it goes to that same tourney's subchampion. If subchampion vacates it, then it goes to that same tourney's Superleader.

18. vargasv71

vargasv71 Member

Jun 21, 2007
    california
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if SL win, then Monterrey occupy Mex4 w/Chivas as Mex3. With this whole new setup that favors the entry of Chivas, I wonder what the possibility is of Santos vacating their spot as Mex 3 if they lose.
    When was the last time a mexican team vacated their CCL spot? And maybe this was a trade-off w/the Americans for shortening group play: that FMF would try to ensure that one of the two mexican biggies would qualify for CCL. I'm presuming that no 3-team group will have both a Mex & a MLS team. If Santos then did vacate for Chivas, and then they and America were paired with LA & Hou at the knockout stage (presuming MLS teams even got out of group stage), then those crowds could be huge. Even Chivas/Amer playing at RSL would get a full house. Houston have supposedly been looking for "the right time" to sign a big Mexican name (dos santos?). I think this summer would be the right time

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you miss spelled Bofo Bautista.

slaminsams repped this.
  20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Hopefully zero possibility, which is what the rules say. If the Mex Fed changes the rules at the last minute to help them again, formal protests would be in order.
    Never.
    I don't think the usa had anything to do with this decision. I have a feeling Vergara called Decio or Compean and suggested the rules. The Concachampions is a winnable trophy for them to end their trophyless drought.
    Only 1 of the Mexican Big 2 will be in Concachampions.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I can't wait to see a Clasico Regiomontano showdown in the CCL knockout stage?

23. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Olimpia gets Honduras 1 while Marathon get Honduras 2

24. Free Glass

Free Glass Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Awh, man. Kind wawnted Motagua to get in there.

25. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    for what? They suck.