2011 Western Conference

Discussion in 'NPSL' started by SheffWedFan, Apr 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Moral of the story, buy American.

2. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Flash wins 3-1 against Sacramento Gold. Good first half, slow second half.

3. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We tired 'em out for ya last night ;) We drew 1-1.

Yesterday was the first time I'd ever seen them play, and the lasting impression I got was that Sacramento seem to be a bit of a dirty side, always leaving the foot in a couple of seconds too long, and never slow to scrape the studs down an opponents' achilles.

4. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet the Flash still kicked their arses.

5. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Like I said, we tired them out. Having played us less than 24 hours before they played you, I'm sure they were a step behind behind the pace, and tired more quickly. Had the game days been reversed, I'm sure your game against them would have been tougher and ours would have been easier.

6. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll agree Sacramento was slow on releasing the ball throughout the whole game
    but to call them a dirty side, well I'm a bit surprised seeing how the flash had their fair share of elbows and fouls, just ask the no.5 from Sacramento

The refereeing did not help, good number of questionable calls on both sides with the disallowed goal being a prime example

Nonetheless Flash deserved the win, they got behind the defense multiple times and scored early on, though they really let Sacramento get back into the game in the second half and if this team had another good CM and forward they could have made flash pay

7. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Check out some pictures from the game here. It's from a photographer who has done some of the other Flash games, and I went to his site this morning to see if he had any from yesterday.

The first one in the album is the disallowed goal. It's not beyond-a-shadow-of-a-doubt proof, but the Sacramento player does have his hands up near the ball, and the goal was disallowed for handball...

8. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe they weren't as dirty against Flash as they were against us. Gold's Fernando Cabadas should have been sent off for clearly kicking Hollywood's Emanuel Bentil in the nuts. He was late, high and reckless, and the ball had gone well before he arrived with his studs showing.

9. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good pics
    the ball is close but its still not conclusive, we can agree now that theres at least basis for ruling it out

I'm not arguing that they are or they aren't, just calling it as it is
    if he did that then rightly so he should have been sent off,
    the flash vs gold game had plenty of questionable calls that were both fueled by fouls on both sides as well as the referee

10. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Another fantastic win for Hollywood this weekend, 5-1 on the road against BA Ambassadors. Assuming we do the business at Real San Jose next weekend, that means we'll come back home with a 9-1-0 record and 28 points, with four games to play, and a US Open Cup first round tie to look forward to the week of June 14th. Good times! :)

Looks like I'm going to have to book some vacation time at the end of July for that trip to Alabama ;)

11. bsp

bsp Member

Oct 30, 1999
    FC Hasental picked up a valuable road win and three points against 2010 NPSL champion Sacramento Gold. 5/22/11

Hasental went down 0-2 at halftime on a goal from Manolo Pina and a wayward cross that was mishandled by the FCH defense. In minute 70, FCH midfielder Rafael Garcia halved the Gold lead with a free kick that banged off the crossbar and into the net. Hasental assistant coach Jon Myers made some key substitutions which were helpful in turning the tide for the visiting side. Striker Robert Pate and midfielder Milan Radovich brought fresh legs midway through the second half. Hasental dominated possession in the second half as Sacramento Gold was content to play defense and attempt the occasional counterattack. At 86 minutes in, Rafa Garcia took a corner from the near side that #10 Milan Radovich headed perfectly down and past the Sac Gold keeper. The crowd went silent as the home team squandered their two goal lead.

Instead of settling for a tie, Hasental continued to attack and were rewarded with the winning goal in added time as captain Taylor Canel stripped the ball from the Gold at midfield, passed the ball to right back Greg Folk who found striker Robert Pate at the top of the 18. A one-touch pass from Pate to Radovich gave him enough space to shoot. The shot took a soft deflection off a defender and slid behind the Gold keeper.

The Hasental back line held off two last-minute Gold attacks, the final whistle blew, and Hasental drove the six hours home with three valuable points in tow.

[ame="http://www.vimeo.com/24152985"]Winning goal from FCH #10 Milan Radovich[/ame]

12. Samora

Samora Moderator
    Staff Member

Inter Milan
    United States
    Mar 27, 2008
    San Diego!
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I always had lots of respect for Hasental, they played really well vs Boca a few weeks back and almost won that game too
    they hold possession well and have players with skill and vision

good luck in the rest of the season

13. bsp

bsp Member

Oct 30, 1999
    FC Hasental 4-2 over Rattlers FC

Greg Folk and Taylor Canel talk about the match and discuss the rest of the Hasental season...

[ame="http://vimeo.com/24395233"]http://vimeo.com/24395233[/ame]

14. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hollywood wrapped up the Northwest Division tonight with a 4-1 win over Sonoma. Goals from Miranda, Albarran, Blanco and Mendoza for Hollywood; Allenado got a consolation for Sonoma. Sonoma had a man sent off after 20 mins for a deliberate handball on the line.

We are now 16 points ahead of Sacramento in second, who have just four games left, so it's mathematically impossible for them to catch us.

We have three games left - Hasental next weekend, away in Lancaster on July 1st, and then away at San Diego Flash on July 3rd. Santa Ana are the closest team to us, and have five games left. If they win out all five, they will have 36 points; if we beat Hasental next weekend, then a win against Lancaster will give us 37 points, the Western Conference title, and #1 seed for the playoffs. Good times! :)

15. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Boca wins against Flash 3-2. Very good game for Boca.

16. gobocago

gobocago New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    San Diego
    Club:
    San Diego Boca FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hello again everyone!

Boca GM Checking in with a quick rundown of last night's San Diego Derby!

Boca came out the gate strong and kept the intensity up the entire match, starting with a beautiful solo effort by Boca Forward Cameron Roget in the 11th minute, breaking past two defenders and juking the keeper for the goal. Flash fought back hard, but the score remained 1-0 going into the second half. In the 60th, Cameron would find the goal again off a give-and-go from Forward Carlos Lopez to make it 2-0. Flash had some good shots on goal, swept up by Boca keeper Steve Gonzalez. Boca fired back a few times, but also were unable to break Flash keeper Justin Myers.

In the 74th minute, however, Larry Emeanua finally found the back of the net with a screaming goal past the Boca defense. At the end, five minutes were added as injury time, and the game looked like it would go down 2-1. Three minutes into injury time however, Larry Emeanua notched his second of the night with a bicycle kick that rocketed in between the Boca defenders. With the score tied at 2, Boca responded immediately. Arsim "Messi" Mustafa took the ball immediately down the left side and into the box. A back pass found Juan "Kichis" Perez who slammed the ball into the corner, where a deflection off the face of a Flash defender sent it into the net.

Final Score: Boca Wins 3-2.

It was an immense crowd of nearly 2,000, and also gave Boca a great opportunity to recognize Big Brothers Big Sisters of San Diego County, an organization we have worked to promote the entire year. We couldn't be more grateful to the fans and supporters that came out, and much respect to a Flash side that fought extremely hard and played extremely well.

In the end though, the victory goes to Boca FC, and I personally couldn't be prouder of our side.

17. keem-o-sabi

keem-o-sabi Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    congrats to Hollywood for doing so well thus far.

18. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hollywood United plays Hasental tonight at Rancho Santa Susana Park in Simi Valley, kickoff 6pm. A win or a tie for Hollywood secures the overall Western Conference regular season title, and the #1 seed for the Western Conf playoffs.

I'll let you know what happens tonight!

19. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    good luck!!

20. president_nater

Jan 30, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How are the Western Conference playoffs going to work?

NW#1 vs SW#2 and SW#1 vs NW#2, or will they seed everyone overall 1-4 and play 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3?

Or something else entirely?

21. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure yet. I think you have it right, but we'll find out for sure after this coming weekend I think.

22. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Western Conference playoffs start this weekend:

- NW1 Hollywood United vs SW2 Santa Ana Winds
    --- Saturday 9th, 7pm, Crenshaw High School in Los Angeles

- SW1 San Diego Flash vs NW2 Sacramento Gold
    --- Saturday 9th, 3pm, Westview High School in Poway

Winners play each other in the Conference Final, Sat 16th; highest seed will host. Conference Champion goes to the National Final Four in Alabama at the end of the month.

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you sure the Flash v Gold game is at 3pm? The Flash are listing it as 7pm local on their website.

24. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They must have changed it since Sunday. Their Game Day Ops guy told me it was going to be 3pm, but if the website says 7, it must be 7!

25. whoswho

whoswho Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Well Flash goes down to Sacramento 2-1. What a disappointment to the fans.
    Starting 11 out of wack!! Should have gone with the guys that were the early season winners. Instead they change it up in the last few games and lost their play off.
    Good luck to Hollywood United may they bring California the trophy home.