2011 US Open Cup

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by GIO17, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Reports are saying that they're not doing the coin flip after all. By quirk of fate, Kitsap and Portland were due to have a PDL regular season game on Friday morning anyway, and they have now announced that whoever wins that game will get the berth.

3. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that'll cause them to delay the First Round schedule release until Friday. Both teams would take a similar geographic spot, and if need be, they could simply delay announcing the home team for that matchup until they know the final participant.

4. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I think we can all agree that this is the better way to solve this problem. I think the PDL & Open Cup Committiee should make it this way to solve a tie just incase is ever comes to this again. Coin Flip is not the right way to go.

5. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Do away with the maximim +3 goal difference or raise it to +5 maybe

6. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys, remember, in the nine year history of PDL qualification in this format, this has only happened TWICE. Only once has the coin actually been flipped. This doesn't happen very often.

That being said, no, it isn't a good way to settle a tie. Pure stroke of luck that they're playing at Jeld-Wen this week and kudos to the Pumas for catching it and coming up with the great idea.

7. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And just for the record, let's say the goal difference max WAS raised to +5. We'd still be in the exact same situation we're in right now. In this case, wouldn't make a bit of difference.

8. Stephen Heisler

May 16, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are anxious to see just WHERE we are going for the first round. It really does not matter, the boys are pumped to put on a good show.

9. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The whole PDL format is garbage.

Take Fresno and Ventura. They never played each other, they both played 2 different teams twice. Makes no sense. Could have easily switched the format so each team played 4 different teams.

I was looking forward to Fresno getting in. Would have had the highest attendance in the tournament I think.

10. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    my guess is Harrisburg/Reading will be drawn with Phoenix. they try to keep the USASA teams as local as possible. and in the crowded northeast area, that is definitely possible in this case.

11. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, considering scheduling restraints there isn't really a better way to do it. And they couldn't have easily switched it. PDL has its schedule set up that way for a reason. These aren't money making ventures. There are costs to travel and these are amateur/semi-pro teams.

A fair option would be using the best teams from the previous year, but that's not even perfect and it doesn't keep with the spirit of the tournament.

12. hscribner

hscribner New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Herriman
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a good tournament, though I wish it was advertised more by ESPN and other networks, for it's the major competition of all US clubs.

It'll definitely be cool to see which teams makes a surprise run in the Cup. As a Western Mass. resident, I know a few guys on the Pioneers who are stoked about being in the US Open. Doubt they'll make a run though ;)

13. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Anyone know where I can get the Draw info ? I've seen a few tweets from USL teams announcing their 1st Round matches but can't find any list myself.

14. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Kickers announced they're hosting Dayton, Charleston is hosting Regals thats all I know so far

15. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    LOL Those were exactly the ones I was refering to..

16. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    new Announcement

Chivas El Paso Patriots host either U-23 Portland Timbers or Kitsap Pumas

17. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same thing happened between the Real Colorado Foxes and Des Moines Menace. They never played each other but they each played one of the other teams twice. I assume it was to make travel easier/cheaper.

18. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch, that's some travel for first round match.

19. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    Story of my life a day late and several dollars short ::sigh:: LOL

20. MVsoccerDad

MVsoccerDad Member

Chattanooga Red Wolves SC
    United States
    Aug 12, 2009
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Chattanooga Football Club
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chattanooga FC vs Pittsburgh Riverhounds! I was hoping we would get a PDL team, but I knew the odds were stacked against us with so many USL Pro teams in our geographical region (compared to PDL).

21. Mikeyratt

Mikeyratt Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Richmond, Va
    and really??.. New York Freedoms get Belson Stadium over FC New York?? ouch babe.

22. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    To be fair. Pancyprians were there alot longer than FC New York has. So I think it's deserved.

23. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, they've also won the Open Cup more times than every MLS team but one. I couldn't find the table, but I'm sure there in the Top 10 of Open Cup victories. I'm not sure how many fans they draw, but they are a very successful team.

24. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Three USOC Titles. 1980, 82 & 83. Last side to go back to back titles till the Sounders did it recently. Chicago Fire of course won it four times. That Famous Bethlehem Steel corporation and Macabbi SC in LA are five time Champions.