2011 Nutrilite Canadian Championship

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EPJr, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Semi-Final Stage

April 27, 2011
    Montreal Impact v Vancouver Whitecaps
    FC Stade Saputo, Montreal, Quebec
    FC Edmonton v Toronto FC
    Commonwealth Stadium, Edmonton, Alberta

May 4, 2011
    Toronto FC v FC Edmonton
    BMO Field, Toronto, Ontario
    Vancouver Whitecaps FC v Montreal
    Impact Empire Field, Vancouver, British Columbia

Championship Final

The highest seeded team in the final will determine whether it opens at home or away
    May 18, 2011 TBD v TBD
    May 25, 2011 TBD v TBD

2. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was afraid it would be like this, and I don't really like it.

TFC won't play the Impact at all this year.

3. MAICOL

MAICOL Member

Oct 18, 2003
    Earth
    Club:
    Univ Catolica
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Why is it that a D3 team is not in the Canadian Championship?

4. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    You tell me and...what about "provincial men's champs"...Canadian Cup{should be called something like the N. Ireland's name for their Nat. team...'northern rock'...}

Northern Rock Cup or whatever the name,it should include hundreds of teams ideally,but even in the CSA doing things they know at least several dosen...

Absolutely agree with you.

5. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can't understand why Edmonton wants to play their game against TFC at Commonwealth. They're taking a lot of risk there.

6. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    A D3 team would have no chance. It's better to keep the minnows to a minimum. FCE is the only minnow this year. One's enough.

Because their stadium's capacity is only 3,500. This TFC game should draw at least 10,000. The NCC is an epic event. It was neccessary to move the game to Commonwealth. I don't see what this risk is that you speak of.

7. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Hey,it needs to be a Cup that involves more teams,regardless if the same ones will get to the top...This could be a great promotion of Canadian soccer...

8. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure that they have no plans on filling the whole stadium, they've probably booked a limited number of sections which would be cheaper than booking the whole stadium.

9. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think at full capacity you could jam 80K spectators to it...I saw Canada v Brazil there years ago and it was almost empty looking.

10. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The trophy awarded to the winner is the Voyageur's Cup but you already know that you being such good friends with the Voyageurs. :p

11. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    In Czech rep. for example the trophy for their Cup is named after the sponsor...

I guess a "cup" that has 3 or 4 teams in the entire event can be called anything.

12. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

They'll be lucky to get 10-15k. I think they are over reaching.

13. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The tournament has been called the Nutrilite Canadian Championship but the trophy itself is the Voyageurs Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyageurs_Cup

But surely you know all this and are just playing dumb because the Voyageurs banned you from their forums for too much trolling no?

14. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    The Voyagers are full of "...."...

They tried to threaten me for telling the truth and I wouldn't go along with their lying.They kept locking and unlocking my log on until I couldn't sign in to reply to their crap.

There are about 5 of theese V's who should go and see a psychiatrist.

15. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Voyageur's made the cup and awarded it long before Amway Global showed up to sponsor a tournament. When the tourney was announced, they offered it to the CSA for the Canadian Championship.

That sums up the relationship of the Voyageur's and the NCC. Nobody wants to read another rehash of this story.

It's actually been upgraded to 5,500 for this season, out of Fath's pocket...I know, "hey big spender", right?

There's the added bit that in the outside chance FCE somehow won the cup they couldn't play Champions League games at Foote field because it's too small.

16. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Well, if Joe Public is allowed to play their CCL games in a parking lot, then FCE should be able to play in Foote if they make it that far.

17. RedCoatsforever

Jun 10, 2008
    London, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was under the impression that if a club didn't have a suitable stadium (10,000 seats, 6 flood lights, not condemned, etc.) that they would have to use a sattelite stadium that met the standards. I had heard these rules came into effect for the second champions league, mostly because of Joe Public's stadium in Trinidad.

I should point out that this is just something I heard, don't even remember the source.

Although, if Edmonton were to get through to CLL, I imagine that they'd want to use Commonwealth, depending on their competition. For instance, you don't play Club America, Chivas Guadalajara, Galaxy, or Sounders at Foote field. Clubs like Motagua and P.R. Islanders however, are another story.

18. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Because they aren't invited. They aren't invited because none of them could survive the travel costs necessary to compete. Which is also why the NCC doesn't have ten rounds and start with dozens of teams. In an ideal world that would be great but it doesn't work in the present reality.

If they can't draw a big crowd to this game they might as well fold now. As long as they cover costs, why not hold it in the bigger venue and give more fans the chance to see your team play? If even half those fans later pick up tickets to a regular season Edmonton game then Edmonton has done well.

19. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Edmonton's got almost no brand recognition right now. They're in their first year of pro soccer, they haven't sold out a game at Foote yet and they still want to play at Commonwealth? TFC might be their biggest draw of the year, but it's still TFC. It's not like it's some major European team or some MLS team with some big name stars (NY, LA, etc.). How many more people are they going to get to show up for a game against probably TFC's second team then for a NASL game?

Let's not even throw in how many TFC fans might try to make i

20. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I'm assuming they aren't doing it because they have any delusions of selling out Commonwealth or even needing to open most of the stadium. If they can draw 10 000 or 15 000, though, and break even on the venture then the exposure will benefit them going forward. I've seen varying capacities given for Foote but none are very high.

21. adrenaline11

adrenaline11 Member+

Jul 29, 2010
    Toronto
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hmm I dunno about that. The point I'm getting at in a roundabout way is that it seems like the trend in North American soccer is that teams are trying to sell their product through atmosphere at the stadium led by supporters groups and such and such. Edmonton doesn't have to do it that way, but it seems to be working. If they have 10-15K at the stadium, people are still going to notice the size of the stadium and the amount of empty seats there are, whether they choose to tarp certain sections or not. Tom Fath is probably going to make more money but if they're trying to use the game as advertising for future ticket sales, I think they're much better off at Foote where it's obviously not as big.

But, the people that wanted tickets and get turned away because the game is sold out will still probably watch the game on TV along with Edmonton soccer fans who were going to watch on TV regardless and both groups are going to see a full stadium. I think that's what the ownership should want.

22. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Edmonton doesn't have any other "stadium" where they could play it for 15K of fans...They might be stack with the big one.

23. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    I'll tell you who's stacked. That world famous Canadian Pamela Anderson.

But seriously, adrenaline has a point. It could be beneficial to FCE to host TFC in a tight, intimidating atmosphere. Keep the fans close and compact, and the noise will intensify, which could spook the Reds to defeat.

24. Czech Soccer...

Czech Soccer... Red Card

Mar 14, 2009
    Canada
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    That would be,however,I lived in Edmonton for 10 years and they don't have that...Poclington used to play at baseball stadium with the Brickman...

25. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Your point is also valid. Creating demand and selling out is good, too. They may only sell out this one game all year but it will arguably (or perhaps not so arguably) be their biggest game of the season.