News: 2011 Kit Unveiling

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by yossarin, Nov 19, 2010.

1. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really do look like Holland's '88 top.
    It's cool.

The more hardcore footy junkies the merrier.
    The players come and go, the championships as well, the shitty team years on top of all that. However the jersey stays the same.

....unless your club is in MLS where a team gets rebranded here and there unfortuantely. Which happened to us of course just after one month but all has gone acording to plan after that.

Collar or not, Adidas or not, Stars of Green Inc or whomever, El Naranja top is here to stay.
    Drink up mo'fos

2. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or you are a Houston team of any sport.

Not only as someone that is not originally from Texas (I did actually come here as quick as I could), but as someone that is not from the US and has live in a few countries, one of the most recognized jerseys of any team of any sport around the world, was the Astros rainbow jersey.

No matter what you think of that jersey, people that had no clue about baseball or MLB, knew about the Astros (I',m sure the Astrodome helped, I was born in 74 and still in the 80s, people talked aboutt he Astrodome in other countries).

Later the Astros changed their ejrsey but retained the spirit of the rainbow jersey, people still knew who's team that jersey belonged to, not to mention the blue cap with the star and the capital H (the love for the orange cap in Houston was not replicated in other countries, but people in SA, Europe, Asia, had the blue cap).

But then the Astros just decided to change or even wipe their whole history, they changed their cap logo for what apparently is a shooting star, at least that is what they keep telling me, to me it looks like a cow's head.

They changed their very distinctive, very different jersey, to a been there, done that, we look like 15 or 18 other teams, we have no personality we have 23 different jerseys.

I used to visit my grandma in the 90s, she was a huge fan of the Rockets, she like "El Chinito Casell" (her words, not mine), I remember liking their logo and jersey, then, after winning a couple of championships, the logo was gone (and changed again), the jersey was gone (and changed again).

I have no problem with changing the jersey evey other season or every season, as long as you retain the colors and spirit of your team, as long as you can see at the jerseys and know that it is the same team, but many MLS teams are like Houston's teams, they don't want to have a personality, or want to have a different one ever 4 years.

3. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    That's because they are no longer small time teams. Personality comes from the ownership and w/ core players staying their whole career w/ a club. That doesn't happen anymore. It used to be easy to list off the complete starting 9 of baseball teams, but with all of the player movement that's started in the 90's, it's been very difficult.

4. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the original Dynamo Wildcatter Orange was the old Astros Orange that you speak of, and as well was the color our old NASL team used.
    Apparently Eguzki, it was a natural fit for Houston.

Yeah, that was our Notre Dame colors years there in the 90's.

The Rockets have never been the same since tio. What do we do now that we are Back-to-back Championships...oh yes...let's ditch our colors and logo for next seasons tip-off!

That's why college athletics is so popular in our U.S. sporting culture. The colors, the name, the songs, the attatchment is gonna be there decade after decade.

Ok now that's just awesome! I can see the Chinito yet we all called him "Alien".

5. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They did that just for you.

6. FCLouie

FCLouie Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Old kits are how you separate the bandwagon riders and newbies from the hardcore. I still wear any or all of them, just not at the same time.

7. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Celt, I have no clue whatsoever about the athletic college culture in the US (I was the punter for my college's football team, the culture was very, very different over there), as a matter of fact, I have never been able to understand the popularity of college sports among people that left college 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago or why A&M, UofT, Notre Dame, insert here 50 other universities, football fans look more like cult members than sport fans.

Now that you mention that the colors, the songs, the nickname have been there for decades (I guess even more for some of the oldest programs), it makes sense.

I think about soccer teams that have celebrated their centennial, and even tough at the beginning of their history they perhaps changed their colors, their names, once they figured out their values, personality, etc, etc, they stucked with their logos, names, colors and values, you can see pictures from 80 years ago and you can tell which team you are looking at.

It is true that currently, consumerism is king and teams tweak their 1st jersey and change jersey sponsor or sponsors every other year, but the jersey looks like it belongs to the same team, they may change the 2nd jesrsey completely every year, even using weird colors and designs (Barcelona, I'm looking at you), but the 1st jersey looks pretty much the same.

I hope the Dynamo stays with orange forever and ever, I don't care if the jersey looks weird or retro like the new one, if it si orange, it is a Dynamo jersey.

8. el jefe2010

el jefe2010 Member

May 7, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The hardest of the hardcore would wear them all at once. Layers of Passion.

9. BCLK

BCLK Member

Apr 25, 2008
  10. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ its a good thing for the Fire as a bidding war between Exxon Mobile and Procter & Gamble is imminent.

11. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I might of missed this somewhere in the thread-
    -when are these going to available (in store, ready to ship)?
    -Is there going to be a long sleeve version?

13. Jerbone

Jerbone Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Sorry that kind of info will not be shared here, this is only a place to bash each others thoughts on the new kits. But you might try preordering on soccer 4 all, didn't see a long sleeve on there.

14. cougarclaws

cougarclaws Member

May 8, 2006
    Lucky's Pub
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    January. Don't remember seeing a long sleeve version at the unveiling party but I can't imagine them not having one.

15. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure they will have one, but we didn't the first year. And now we seldom use one, it seems like most of the guys will wear a long sleeve under shirt when they want long sleeves.

16. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    got to have long sleeves now in Pitt. I've been wearing all of my Corbin Waller keeper jerseys with pride.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Columbus has lost their jersey sponsor, Glidden. The Glidden deal was described in 2008 as a four year deal but seems to be getting cut short.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/01/07/glidden-withdraws-as-jersey-sponsor.html?sid=101

18. tigerheadsaints

Sep 1, 2010
    League City, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I'm a big fan of the third star on the kit

20. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
  21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I thought the Aztecs were black and red

22. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. .César.

.César. Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston
    I think the Aztecs you are thinking of are SDSU Aztecs

[​IMG]

24. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    my mistake-I was thinking of the DIPs

gotta give me a break-that's really stretching my memory banks

25. Fiorentina lives!

May 5, 2004
    I found out what adidas did to one of the discarded designs... they gave it to "Oleempeek Marsay"

[​IMG]

:D