2011 FIFA Women's World Cup Final Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Hachiko, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Good mornin - and Who ?

2. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is the Japanese girl?

Did you see most of the youtube videos from Japan you posted have been removed?

You have viewable versions?

3. SamuraiBlue2002

SamuraiBlue2002 Member+

Dec 20, 2008
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgWXuKGPCcs"]‪?????????1??????????????11/07/18?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rcs-8mcb-A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]‪??????????????????????‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGCdTumSwss&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]‪?????????????????Part 2?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivXzVVNJUEY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]‪?????????????????Part 3?‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

4. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SamuraiBlue, thanks for that! Any translation by anyone would be appreciated!

The 2nd video has been removed.

Was there any outdoor viewing parties in Japan? I know they wouldn't be as big as for the men's World Cup but even a smaller one like the outdoor one they had at Times Square in NY.

5. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More...

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #4 Kumagai deserves some kind of award, I mean having to cover Wanbach all game long has to be hard, even on the goal Amy scored Kumagai was in correct position, she just slipped and could not cut the pass.

Then that penalty kick to win it all was pretty much a perfect kick.

7. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    The Japanese girl on the FIFA-photo is Miyama who scored the first equalizer and the first pk.
    For videos just copy-paste: なでしこジャパン and search for the latest.

8. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Kumagai gets a place in history thanks to the PK. Her one final deep breath to compose herself.....

I found this interesting, because I remembere the moment. It is from Yahoo.com but a good news piece.

"Give feisty goalkeeper Ayumi Kaihori credit for some of that. Chirping and yelling, she showed no fear as she faced the Americans. Never mind that she is just under 5-foot-7, and the goal is 8 feet high and 24 feet across."

I remmber thinking that a PK shoot-out would be hopeless for Japan, especially as the USA scored all 5 against Brasil, and because simply Solo has the "wing-span" advantage and the experience. And PKs have been a disatster for the World Cup youth teams.

And then I saw Box looking stressed, and I saw Kaihori who seemed deliriously happy. And I thought, maybe its not hopeless.

9. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
  10. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think it's good that Sawa was not one of the earlier PK-takers. As the central player on the pitch and the team's leader to have to also convert PKs... the pressure is unimaginable.

11. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yea stars usually miss as well don't they.

12. sc-f

sc-f Member+

May 23, 2009
    Club:
    SC Freiburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I remember Baggio 1994... Baggio scored 5 for Italy to reach the final before failing his pk in the shootout.

13. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Or just to have her play ? Sasaki is a long-term thinker. Or perhaps it was PKs as Maruyama has surely not taken one in years, if ever.

I am surprised Sawa would list herself 10th - a google/translate seems to be say that she said "this is my weakness, please put me last" ?

By the way, I clicked on related links, and I think I read:

1. Sawa confirms that the "flick" or backheel volley" or whatever it was, had been planned with Miyama while Solo was getting attention.

2. Iwashimizu of course had to watch the shoot-out all alone on a TV monitor. Was she able to celebrate with the team ? (another one I love for that amazing tackle)

3. Sasaki's wife nearly died once, and he was ready to give up football another time, but his wife would not let him.

Is this all correct ?

And yes I sure would like to see the rest of the PK list.

But most of all I wish I had Kyra's signed jersey :mad: :mad:

14. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL..the goalie would take a PK before Sawa??!? WTF??!?

Sawa is too good to be so far down the depth chart!

15. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    And what do the players say ? Thinking about Sawa's goal, Iwashi's red card, Kumugai's goal, well...............everything.

16. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What the hell is that they're doing by holding up these pink lollipops and then shaking them around?? WTF??

17. BigDnm01

BigDnm01 Member

May 14, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Iwashimizu, the red-carded DF, was on the field celebrating with the players. She ran to the group after they won.
    btw, When she was red-carded, and so close to the penalty box, the Nadeshiko was surprisingly composed. Most players would panic and get all serious and tense when the call is given, but not them. Instead they were seen consoling Iwashimizu, who just walked off calmly, and just got ready for the FK, no panic.

18. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    And what about Miyama's equalizer ? For a moment Maruyama and her are about to embrace, but then Miyama just calmly picks up the ball out of the net, and you can see Maruyama telling her to go get it (and maybe "now we are going to win" lol).

By the way, Iwashi's blog

And Maruyama's blog (now corrected)

Warning - one usually posts about her cats, the other about what she's wearing today. But they have occasionally great photos.

Actually can someone who understands Japanese make me an account because I want to tell Iwashi that....

19. watanabe2k

watanabe2k Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Illinois, but Japan
    Club:
    Jubilo Iwata
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Both blogs have the same link...

20. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    I cant understand how they could go back to their hotel, sleep even a few hours, pack their bags, fly 8 hours to Japan, and then appear on a game-show - please help me out, is this more magic ?

Edit - I just realised the obvious, this video is shot in Germany.

Anyway, the first video - I see @ 1:40 that Sawa scored a cute goal at some big tournament in the 90's against what looks like Germany - any translation help ? Also what does Sakaguchi say at 9:00 about her role (video shows her fouling everyone !) And Yuki, Ohno ?

The second video - the team interview seems to be a disaster, and Sasaki actually bops the MC on the head with his lollipop !

Edit 2 - I fixed the previous post to link Maruyama's blog

21. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    What !!!!!! No wonder she played so badly, her mind was not on football.

Someone "unrelated to football" - is that correct ?

And I think from a Japan university. Not from Germany.

By the way, when is the wedding due to take place ?

(personally Yuki was the only one for me)

22. nsato

nsato Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Yea someone she met from her time at University in Japan. Doesn't say when they will get married.

23. mumf

mumf Member+

Nov 7, 2008
    Anyone in Japan going shopping soon ? I want to buy a Nadashiko jersey while still affordable. Pretty much any short number. Will pay by PayPal for shipping.

Or - Kyra, where are all those links to buy jerseys ? The price seems reasonable now.....lol.

24. Flaight

Flaight Member

Mar 11, 2005
    You know those pair of hands really bothers me. I think it's Kumagai but I wonder what she was thinking lol
    [​IMG]