2011 FIFA Women's World Cup - CONCACAF Qualifiers

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by mcruic, Jan 16, 2010.

1. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They always have been good on the ball. I know they were skilled. Sawker or futbol, it doesn't matter. They still don't have anywhere near the overall talent or experience that the US has.

2. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    I agree, Mexico outskilled the USA - no question. I'd be interested to know if they're as young as they look - most of them look like kids.

The Mexican team also outskilled Canada by a lot, but Canada's offence was more productive than the USA (obviously) and their defence was tougher as well.

3. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Italy are technically 6th in UEFA. They won the repechage for quarter-final losers, not the UEFA tournament. 4 teams qualified from UEFA (5 including hosts Germany) ahead of Italy.

4. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are? I thought Germany, the Scandinavians, France and England were higher?

5. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    You are exactly right - Sweden, Norway, England and France all qualified ahead of Italy, and Germany qualified as hosts, but are generally regarded as the best in UEFA anyway.

6. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Wow, mexico to the world cup. A lot of new teams this year compared to 2007. You've got France, Mexico, one coming out of Africa, and one potentially out of South America. Either womens soccer is finally growing or we are in for some blowouts at the world cup.

7. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Italy's chances. They are quite good at playing the kind of possession football that frustrated the United States tonight.

8. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    France qualified already in 2003. Mexico also qualified in 1999. At least they have some experience to draw on...

9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Oh it matters. That's that why the US' game plan was to simply kick the ball to the player furthest up the pitch. If not that, just kick the ball toward the goal and have somebody chase after it. That is soccer! Futbol is entirely different game and the other nations know this. Mexico played some good futbol tonight..the Mexicans players were talented enough to be a team of slow, experienced grannies w/o losing their composure and for that, I salute them!

10. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think so. I think tonight was just a major screwup for the US.

11. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

New teams that weren't in 2007. Usually in the WWC, teams pretty much stay the same so for me at least seeing potentially 4 new ones is a pretty big deal.

12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That's where the experience comes in. Canada was the more experienced side and used that to their advantage. I'm not completely familar with Team Mexico but those girls looked pretty young, which make tonight's win more impressive, IMO.

13. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Wait, sorry, what about Brazil? Did they qualify for WC2011?

14. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

playing qualifiers right now

15. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Sorry - I pressed submit before my message was complete... I meant at least France and Mexico have some experience at World Cups to draw on, unlike the South American and African new teams.

16. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making nice passes doesn't make them a better team. But like was said before, Mexico pinged the ball around nice versus Canada and still lost 3-0. US has always been a 'route 1' team. Don't get me wrong, I salute Mexico. They outplayed the US tonight. But the US has always had the better team. The all time goal record vs the US tonight was 106-9 according to CONCACAF.

17. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Brazil played their first qualifier today in Ecuador - beating Venezuela 4-0. They've got Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay to play in their 5-team 1st round group. The top 2 from this group play the top 2 from the other group (Argentina, Chile, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia) in a final 4-team group, with the top 2 from this going to the WC2011.

18. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    The US has a better record against pretty much every team on the planet. But this didn't help them tonight. Teams are learning how to play the US, and it's showing signs of working, as we saw tonight. I think they'll have too much for Costa Rica though, though they did take their time in finishing them off in the group stage.

19. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Even though i'm from the USA, i've never liked watching them play. There is no flair or creativity, it's just solid play and hard work basically. They don't really have a weakness, but there's nothing to me at least that sticks out especially when you get to the world cup. If they get there, they'll most likely do well but I think Germany and Brazil are better teams creatively and have more talent.

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Eh...and the best team doesn't always win! I'm not saying Mexico is the best team(although, they were the better team tonight). My point is that Mexico has plenty of talent players and to suggest otherwise is just ridiculous.

21. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch the United States a lot, and I have to disagree. All of the problems we saw tonight -- lack of pace, mediocre touch, laughable marking, tactical naivete -- have been evident for some time. We have been spared any major humiliation in all of the friendlies over the last two years because we were playing sides that were experimenting with tactics and lineups rather than looking 100% to win. But the problems were there to be seen all along, and it didn't actually shock me to get such a poor result in a match that actually meant something.

22. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many play professionally in WPS or Scandinavia/Germany? Not insulting, just curious. I know Dominguez was with Barca and theres a player on Stanford. But that's all I know. I remember they had a center half, Gonzalez I think, that was pretty good.

23. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars

Ocampo played for Atlanta last season.She was very talented, not sure if she was in the lineup but she had the skills.

24. YankBastard

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then I must catch up on the US team. I knew they didn't have much touch or tactical/technical skills. I was under the impression that Pia remedied that a little. But I thought they had better pace and good marking at defense. So they lost those, too? What happened?

25. mcruic

mcruic Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Scotland
    Club:
    Dundee United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Mexico has had a professional league too since 2007...