2011-2012 NBA Regular Season Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Basketball' started by riverplate, Dec 24, 2011.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Two #8 seeds in 13 years, that is 2 out of 26 chances. Well that's better odds than I would have expected but still pretty long.

2. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I guess you may be on to something.

Sincerely -

'07 Golden State Warriors and '94 Denver Nuggets

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I get your point, but I honestly cannot see these Knicks beating the Bulls. I can see it going six games, but that's about it.

Of course I'm the same genius who thought the Mavs would lose in the first round last year, so WTF do I know? :eek:

I am looking forward to the play-offs, most because the Heat are one of the most fun teams to root against, ever. :D

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Aha, now you are done, it's only happened 4 times ever. You're still not going to scare me with the Eastern #8. On the other hand, whoever ends up as the #8 in the West is going to be pretty good.

5. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You don't have to imagine it, the Knicks have beaten the Bulls recently. :)

Do the Bulls really have that much more talent than the Knicks? For me, a rusty Rose and a very much improving Shumpert to chase him around - along with the return of Jeffries - makes me think the Knicks aren't totally hopeless. Any team that can get hot shooting 3s like this team can can beat anyone, especially a team that relies a lot on Rose for offense, although it seems that have more weapons than last year.

Do I think it's likely to happen? No - but I do think they might have a 1 in 10 chance.

The biggest issue is probably Baron's ability to play minutes and be effective. The point guard position was a mess last night against the Bucks.

6. Playboy Red Devil

May 3, 2010
    West Hollywood
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I thought yall were gonna cream us. Yall have a great home games and rested the big three and yall have been on form.

I got your PM. Good to see you on here :)

He made shit loads of money by cheating.

7. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    funny debate

[ame="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshh78Qhm4bMXp0XQXCy"]Video: Skip Bayless vs. Jalen Rose Vs Stephan A. Smith! (Heated Debate)[/ame]

8. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Currently fighting with NBA League Pass over why Memphis-Phoenix was blacked out in Lincoln, Nebraska last night. I HATE canned customer service responses, especially when they don't even come close to addressing the issue at hand and just repeat what is listed in the FAQ.

9. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
  10. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I'm confused, why did Skip call Jalen a PG?

11. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    the look on skips face when Jalen calls him out is priceless!!!:D

" water pistol "..that's got to hurt.:cool:

12. Rossonero23

Rossonero23 Member+

Sep 9, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    good win against Memphis. 4-0 against them this year.:)

Timmy with 28 points, Ginobili with 20, Parker with 13.:)

13. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    C
    J
    L
    O
    L

Jalen Rose, I luv ya. Who knew?

14. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That's your best point.

Yeah maybe. 1 in 10, 1 in 12, 1 in 15. Something like that.

15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And it gets longer with a best of 7 than the old best of 5.

16. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Skip Bayless is a ********** who has been building a career off of nonsense, but why on earth he would lie about a HS basketball "career" is beyond me.

If I were an NBA player, I'd brag about a column I had in the HS newspaper just to put in perspective how silly Skip's bragging was. :D

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    He's probably heard a bunch about how he can't judge players because he wasn't one. So he talks himself into a story about how yeah he didn't play in NBA but he knows what it's like at the top level because he was a youth star, basketball camp star, etc.

18. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    So interested in JohnR's reaction to Colin Cowherd's (#1 Lebron fan) statement that he repeats all the time: Jalen Rose is a more likeable Allen Iversen.

19. Shay Z

Shay Z Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 3, 2007
    Out of all the ESPN talking heads i detest Skip the most. His views are intentionally manufactured to have the maximum shock factor while having minimum (actually zero) insight.

I cringed when he was talking about his HS "career". Playing basketball in HS isn't a career. Heck, we all probably played in HS as well but does that mean i can judge what it means to be an everyday NBA player or that i'll get into a dick measuring contest with a member of the Fab Five who also had a pretty good pro career. I couldn't play because the coach played his own son?? MVP of basketball camp?? Give me a break.

Anyway, whats up with the Heat. They looked like they were actually trying last night but still came up short against Rose 0.5 + the rest of the Bulls.

20. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not sure what that means. Is it some sort of socioeconomic comment -- two black punks with attitude?

I never had a problem with Jalen. I booed him because he was a Wolverine and a Pacer. But nothing major. Never saw much reason to think much about him until he took on Skip, that is great in my book because I don't like shock-jock sports writers.

21. os_mutante

os_mutante Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2003
    City of Bad Carls
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am so sick of watching LeBum do his cheerleader thang while Dwyane takes the last shot.

22. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    No - he just meant on the court. That they are very similar players - dominate the ball, don't shoot for a high percentage, etc. He also said Iversen was much better defensively - and pointed out that Iversen was a great player so it's not necessarily a slight. Took a crappy team to the NBA Finals.

I think his point though is that he's a great player with limitations like Iversen, I think he means he's not Jordan or Lebron level talent.

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Eh maybe but they look and move so differently, I have trouble seeing the similarity.

People often compare Rose and AI, that is easier to see.

24. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    It seems like now a days, if you are not Jordan, its meh!

Thats not fair to the Tracy Mcgrady's, AI's and co.

25. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I don't see any similarity between Jalen and AI whatsoever. Plus, in what universe would Jalen be compared to any of those players? He's not even on Reggie Miller's level. Did Cowherd hit his head on something again? I like Jalen and he was a fine NBA player, but let's not rewrite history.