2011-12 Preseason Discussion

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by hewittdallas, Jun 19, 2011.

1. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I too would love to see some good activity in the transfer market. Most importantly, I would like to see some stability come from it. While Bruce has brought many good players in, it continues to be a revolving door. The sale of Henderson, though sad, did provide an excellent financial opportunity to bring in some good, young players who can hopefully grow into a solid core (especially in midfield) for the next few years. As far as the playing style, I still think so much of that comes down to who we get in midfield. We had good forwards last year, we just didn't have the support behind them to put the ball into space and let them make plays.

As for the new away kits, I kind of like them. At least they are a bit different. Our previous away kits looked like so many other clubs it was annoying. That blue will take awhile to get used to, but at least they are thinking outside the box. Props to Quinn or whoever was behind that move.

2. TexasMackem

TexasMackem New Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In terms of the transfer window, we need goal scorers. I don't care where the goals come from (Phil Bardsley can do it, why can't our midfield?), we just need them, and we need them fast. Strengthening the midfield with a few new players would certainly bring us some stability (at least, theoretically it would), definitely a new keeper, a couple strikers and defenders, but I would also love to see homegrown academy players like Jack Colback and Ryan Noble get their chances to show us what they've got in the new season. Further development of our once impressive defensive back line would also be appreciated, as well as teaching our players how to defend set pieces... please, Bruce... please.

As for the players we are linked with, I trust Steve Bruce and Niall Quinn to make the right decisions so long as they can bring in more Bramble's & Elmohamady's and less Angeleri's. I am glad to see that Cristian Riveros is getting another chance, but I would have also liked to keep Bolo Zenden around a little longer. He added that maturity and experience we needed both on the field and off the field, and his service to the club will be dearly missed.

As for the team's performances on the field, we saw sparks last season, but I would love to see those develop into a fire of trophy and league position winning madness this season. At times they played really great football (Stamford Bridge game, Man City at home, Blackpool away), but still at others, I knew who was on the field, but I couldn't tell you what they were doing (Newcastle away, Everton away, Man City away). Our team does well when they are focused, but they can also turn to instant shambles in the worst of ways sometimes. If Steve Bruce can get our lads to work together, even when the game seems to turn against them, they will be able to work their way out of slumps and the mid-table level in order to continue on to the top. Here's to hoping!

Finally, I think the new away kit is great! It is hard to change our home kit too much because we run the risk of trampling on the traditional red and white stripes look (e.g. the new Newcastle home kits), so to be able to switch things up on the away kit is definitely appreciated.

3. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find yesterday's signings to be a great encouragement moving toward the new season. I would imagine we'll see Seb Larsson into the starting squad and Di-Jong Won looks promising up front next to Gyan, though only time will tell.

I completely agree that the absence of goals is among the biggest concerns facing the club. However, based on my experience playing the game and watching the boys makes me think the likelihood of that happening without a better midfield is slim. We struggled so much with possession and movement last season, especially on the road. It seemed that some games would get off to a bad start and we would just abandon our playing philosophy and play long ball. That can't happen. Sure, you'll get a few goals that way, but not many. We need a solid core of midfielders that can control the speed of the game and maintain possession.

Then again, I am slightly biased toward midfield since that's what I've played my whole life. :)

4. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Wickham will be undergoing a medical tomorrow while Gardner is holding talks with the club. This could prove to be a very productive Wednesday as that is a lot of scoring power that we desperately need heading into the next campaign. Thoughts?

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We'll face you guys at a friendly in Hamelin tonight, I can't attend unfortunately. Any expectations on the match? (if anybody reads this...)

6. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't catch the post in time, but it played out about as I expected. This was probably the toughest match on the preseason calendar and there were a lot of new faces on the pitch. Great first half showing by you guys, but I was encouraged by how our boys came out in the second half.

7. lugger

lugger Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    need some older striking options. (though I don't mind having young striking options, it would be nice for an older established player to calm things down if the youngsters are having trouble)

Robbie Keane or James Mcfadden. any takers?

8. hewittdallas

hewittdallas Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An older/more experienced striker would be much welcome. I think we'll all agree to that. However, I am curious how Bruce's 4-5-1 experiment will play out during the remainder of the preseason. Sess is fitting well into that attacking center mid role behind the striker. However, one injury and that plan goes out the window.

9. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think we are a bit further in our preseason proceedings, to it seems like a resultz everybody can live with. I hope the ones of you that made the journey had a good time, which should be the most important part of such a thing. Hamelin is a lovely town.

We lost the friendly we played before that one, against Tel Aviv, so I think this win was nevertheless important. We have our last friendly against Lyon on Sunday, and then one week later a cup game to kick of the season. Good luck in yours!