2011/12 Home/Away Jersey

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jolieandbecks, Mar 29, 2011.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I had another idea for red, but I'm sure to get neg repped for it every month.

2. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Then only the bench players or no squad members would be wearing the kits.

Unless they go with silver spoon silver.

Anyone of you could take these game worn beauties home (the kits of course). Interesting to look at the current bids.

http://shop.ebay.com/ussoccer/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25

3. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    I'm not a fan of the current kits. Looks like something straight out of Star Trek: TNG.

[​IMG]

4. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The players have looked fine in the two Japan games.

5. Mookie141

Mookie141 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2008
    Mooktown
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I remember seeing Cox stalking about the field after a pause in play, and it just screamed "star trooper patrol."

It may have just been my eyes but on a close up they did of LePeilbet looked like the red trimming in the front of her kit had come "loose."

I still have a feeling Abby's going to hulk up in the heat of the moment and accidently rip hers.

6. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    I like the uniforms.
    They are unique, fresh, new technology, and as modern as you can think of (at this point in time) for a women's soccer uniform.

The worst uniforms in women's soccer history, are any low-priced white uniforms that can cause a wardrobe malfunction.

[​IMG]

7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I respectfully disagree. We need more picture evidence to come to that conclusion.

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the black shirts are better than what the white ones look like. I'm not a fan of the piping or the faux vneck/zipper crap. But it just looks so much worse in white.

9. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YahooSports article by Brooks Peck on how the US Men almost wore a tie-dyed jersey at the '94 World Cup.

Mentioning it here because, according to Brooks Peck, the Denim Kit article "provides great insight into the creation of a national team kit."

(I haven't read the entire article yet)

10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blew the link above to the Denim Kit article on how the denim kit came about for the '94 World Cup.

One of the first reader comments is interesting:

Ismitje repped this.
  11. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nice find, good little read. The post at the bottom of the articles page really does sum it up well though. Denim? Tie-Dye? What the hell :eek:. A good read for fans of the WNT and women's soccer who like me don't believe the any of the black window marketing nonsense.

Folks out there who believe the USWNT kit was designed strictly for women's soccer, and the WNT's needs, need to read that article.

12. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is always an underlying motive in any fashion.
    I just wish the national team uniforms would stay with the national colors - red, white and/or blue. Black, or charcoal, are not the United States colors. What's the point?

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You're all right. Wearing black alone just isn't right. The team should wear black and gold. Then the team would have a real identity.:p

14. jocasta

jocasta Member+

Oct 11, 2003
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Thanks for that, it was a fun read.

So home jersey + away jersey = Nike's "Marry 'em and Bury 'em" kit, then.

15. A Fan

A Fan New Member

Aug 15, 1999
    Anyone know where I can buy the old one? I want to buy a jersey before going over there but I'm certainly not wearing that horrible excuse for a national team kit.

Or even better the new GK jersey? I feel like that don't sell the GK jersey and that's sad considering Solo's pretty well known. (for the record I would buy it to celebrate an old friend and not specifically Solo)

And let's get crazier, get it customized? Or am I just asking too much ;-)

16. vanjory

vanjory Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Singapore
    Soccer.com/Eurosport used to have the previous one tho but not anymore. I searched and ProSoccer.com still sells it at USD40! Go grab em! Not too sure about the personalization tho, could drop them an email and ask...

17. exref

exref Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vanjory View Post
    Apparently the reason behind the black kit is a black widow spider, as quoted from ussoccer.com...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Batfink View Post
    Inspired by a highly venomous insect to humans, that devours it's mate during a violent mating ritual. Hmmmmm I wonder how Nike are going to explain the white kit there so desperate not to show...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smulan View Post
    A "widow" has to be married first. It's the wedding dress, innit?
    So home jersey + away jersey = Nike's "Marry 'em and Bury 'em" kit, then.

RFLMAO!
    But seriously, is this Halloween or an international sporting event where teams are representing their countries?

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Black works for Mexico. Maybe the Mexican fans will be confused and pull for the US in numbers.

19. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    I don't understand the constant re-jerseying.

We won the WWC in 1999 with a very appealing home and a very appealing away set of jerseys. Why all the futzing?

20. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    I loved the 1999 uniforms. Simple, classy, actually the correct national colors... ;)

I suppose simplicity is considered "outdated" these days.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nike does it for all their teams -- male & female. They want people to keep buying shirts.

Of course, Nike isn't the only one that puts out new shirts for their teams right b/f a big tourny. adidas did the same.

22. KingJames

KingJames Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    $$$

23. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    We probably are as well. Nice to exchange thoughts with you again, FawcettFan14 (I think Joy Fawcett is the most underrated player in USWNT history).

24. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006