2010 UNC Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    OK, I grilled my acquaintance who attended the Duke-UNC basketball game last week. He said that the half time Hansbrough jersey ceremony came off, but he doesn't remember anything about any women soccer player.

Hmmmm.

2. Bosco

Bosco Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Yael's jersey was retired at halftime of the UNC-State basketball game last Saturday. Nice ceremony except for the announcer consistently pronouncing her first name incorrectly.

3. Rohbino

Rohbino Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody remember when Yael scored the goal against Yale within the first few seconds of a game? Clip below. Hilarious!! :D

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASdB7PC4v7c"]YouTube- Fastest Goal in Soccer History[/ame]

4. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Over on the "Prediction-2010 Final Four Teams" thread there is considerable discussion of the Tarheels 2010 prospects that should really be on this thread.

Some items from that thread:

1. A poster has it as confirmed (no more rumor) that Lucy is staying in England and will not be back.

2. The general trust is that UNC has lost so much talent from the 2009 squad that their chanches of making the final 4 in 2010 are very slim. Some of us (especially UNC4ever) are true believers and think otherwise.

3. FSU appears to be recruiting a juggernaut and will provide some real competition to the Tarheels for ACC dominance in 2010.

Me? I try to stay realistic, but, along with UNC4ever, I'm always hopeful.

5. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Its not hope. When a giant tree falls in the forest (2006~2009 class), it lets in the light! There are some brilliant players who have come to UNC in the last couple years, just to stand in the shadow of the 2006 class. Now this is their day. In any other program they would have already been starters. Now they get a chance to show their stuff against the WPS this Spring. These guys have been constructive and managed their frustration; now I expect to see that translate into a release of constructive fury on the field this Spring. This is the chance they have been waiting for. Lets see if they can't bring it! I don't think thats being hopeful.

6. attackerp

attackerp Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Heels have nothing to worry about, AD will spin his magic

7. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Below is a URL to a photo of one of the incoming 2010 Tarheels, Crystal Dunn. The photo is of Crystal in action last night against the German U-23s. She has played every minute of all games both at CONCACAF and not at La Manga as one of the 2 center backs in Ellis' defensive system for the U-20s.

The subsequent photo in the series is of Amber BRooks in the same game. Amber is platooning with Jeanna Richmond in the midfield.

http://g.uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/foo...78136d-getty-96745440mq004_u20_germany_v.html

8. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    who's in charge of telling us the recruiting class every year? theyre so slow at it.

9. Rohbino

Rohbino Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Anson fill out the class? Could it be that he is waiting on another commit?

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a vague memory that UNC always waits and announces the incoming class late. So I did a 3 second google search and found that the official announcement for this year's freshmen was dated in May. And the year before was dated April. In other words, don't hold your breath for an official announcement.

11. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
  12. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    I see over on cbg's recruiting page that we have another Canuck joining our squad, and was even more delighted to learn she's a hard-core defender from my hometown of Toronto! Her name is Olivia Mbala and she plays with the Canadian national team. Incredibly, she joins an already stacked 2010 class of recruits...so while things have been so quiet on the 2011 front, apparently we weren't finished with this year's class!

13. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I couldn't find much about Olivia Mbala other than she is listed in the Canadian U-20 pool and a few notes about some club games. This may be a long-shot based on athletic potential rather than a meaty resume.

Does anyone else have useful info?

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone have news from spring practice? UNC plays Philly's WPS team this weekend. Is anyone in the Philly area and going to the game? (there's a free ticket offer on Philly's facebook page).

15. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    heard they lost 3-0. no clue who played.

frosh will be a huge part of the team, dont know if theyre enrolled yet. so who knows.

16. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Am looking forward to seeing UNC play against The Beat this Saturday down here in Atlanta! If I can go (as planned), I'll definitely provide a summary for you guys after. Soccerhunter, I tried getting some info on our Canadian recruit but so far no response from the Wexford SC (where it appears her coach has the same last name)... But she must be a good defender if she's a 17yo and playing with the Canadian U20s. We'll have to wait and see.

17. tobinheathfan13

tobinheathfan13 New Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Club:
    Sky Blue FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDFZTZTWXUE&feature=sub"]YouTube- Philadelphia Independence vs UNC[/ame]

here's footage from the game. look like ranee and alyssa rich popped up a lot. i'm looking forward to see how the new class will mesh with the old.

18. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Indeed. According to my calculations, UNC has the #1 recruiting class for 2010 (although Florida State is nipping at the Heels.)

As for 2011, essentially all of the top recruits are spoken for, although I am hoping that Anson is looking at Kaili Torres and that if Morgan Brian is back on the market (following the Georgia coaching change) she may consider life in Chapel Hill. (Torres is not ranked in the top 100 by Top Drawer, but she is a regular starter on the U-17 national team while Brian has been the #1 playmaker and a top scorer for that team.)

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the clip of the scrimmage w/ Philly. If the roster numbers are the same as the fall, it looked to me as though Brigman (42) and Mikula (10) saw time in defense.

20. Aggie Soccer

Aggie Soccer New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    It has been rumored both in Birmingham and College Station that Merritt Mathias is transferring from UNC to A&M for the 2010 season. Have any of you Tar Heel fans heard this yet?

21. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Beat up 2-0 in spring scrimage.

returning players arent that good it seems. D is getting shreded.

I hope frosh are impact players.

22. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Well, the good news is that the Beat look in good shape! Final score: 5-0. The first half was in the rain, though nice turf with no mud or puddles - sun came out the second half, which was definitely the point at which the lackluster Heels realized they had to start playing, down 3-0. I'm sure Anson gave them a good talking to at the half because they looked completely lacking in organization or leadership, or fire.

When you stack up the remaining roster of the Heels, post-senior exodus, against a formidable WPS opponent, we are not a deep or experienced team. The best players without a doubt were Amber Brooks in holding midfield, Rachel Givan in the back line, Meghan Klingenberg on the m/f wing and Alyssa Rich up top. Though we have a dynamite group of freshmen coming in, freshmen are freshmen and this will be a rebuilding year for our Heels. Sure, we had seven freshmen start 4 years ago, and they won a national championship. But that was with Heather O'Reilly at the helm to add speed and strong leadership mentality, not to mention uncanny goalscoring. This year, there's not a HeaO on the roster. I'm not saying we won't be a good team, but all those fans who assume championships are a birthright in Chapel Hill are bound to be disappointed. Then again, I can't wait to see these Freshmen....

Let's see: not telling you all anything you couldn't already figure out in that Ali Hawkins appears to be our best bet, along with Amber Brooks, in the central midfield. Amber Brooks was just ALL over the place, doing what she does best in winning balls in the air, badgering opposing forwards and middies, and even making a run towards goal in the final minutes. She looked calm and composed throughout and just brings so much leadership to the role from her time on youth national teams. Ranee Premji spent some time at attacking center mid, but still seems to be ballwatching and chasing, but wasn't able to keep possession in the distributive role. She may just not have the goods to be competitive in that position. She has some good maneuvering ability with the ball, but doesn't have the length or speed to impose her will defensively that Tobin Heath had in that spot. It wouldn't even be fair to compare, I realize. Katie Klimczak spent some time on the right wing, and so did Kim Currie and Katie Lutz, I believe.

Erin Mikula spent some time as central defender, with Megan Brigman and Emmalie Pfankuch on her right and left. This was after Anson pulled Rachel Givan, who was probably fairly winded by running down the Beat's flank strikers, who were up and down all game. Klingenberg also gave chase. Hannah Daly had a tough role for sure, and nerves may have gotten the best of her. There were some fairly poor clearances in the first half, looking better in the second half. Anson ran one keeper today, no sign of anyone in reserve (will Anna Sieloff usurp her starting role in August? TopDrawer rates her highly, but I have not heard much.) I have heard enough about Crystal Dunn's defensive abilities to say she could easily start on the back line this Fall. Meagan Morris might be another potential on the backline.

Our front line of Alyssa Rich, Brittani Bartok and Courtney Jones couldn't connect much today. With the exception of Rich, they lacked the speed to threaten at all and played a very lackluster first half before turning on more fire in the second. The biggest threat we posed was on corner kicks, with Brooks connecting on one occasion with a dangerous header. I can't think of any other major threats.... I heard Anson yelling on several occasions to "keep playing!!!" when players would settle the ball and seem to want to dribble around while the Beat's players would swarm in and dispossess.

We didn't look dangerous today, not in the least. That said, it was a group of players who have been playing in reserve roles for the past year or more, and they are learning to play together. No Merritt Mathias today (perhaps the rumor is true?). No Lucy Bronze (heard she wasn't coming back, but never saw a post with definitive news on this). And I was looking for Maria Lubrano but to my knowledge, she was never on the field (I missed the first three minutes and the introductions). And no Tobin on the Beat roster today. Here's the official writeup from the Beat's site: http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/atlanta/news/press_releases/100328-unc.aspx

Apparently, FSU beat the Beat 2-1 just three days ago. Otherwise, Atlanta's WPS squad has decimated the competition during the exhibition season. I'm thinking FSU and Boston College might be stronger teams this year. As for our Heels, we'll have to wait and see, and try to enjoy the ride as this team rebuilds!

23. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    I am sorry to see that the rumor regarding Merritt Mathias may be true. She was on my favorite list, and I was really looking forward to seeing her play more this next year. I feel sad that she has "paid her dues" by watching a very talented class for two years, and now it look likes she will not be coming into her own as a Tar Heel. I had her as a possible starter next year (or at least a first line sub.)

24. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the write up. repped. I'm not surprised UNC has had a tough time against the WPS clubs. Last year's results were, imo, a-typical and reflective of the depth and experience the team has now lost.

Figuring out a solid defensive 3 is key to the team's success next year (and I don't disagree w/ you re: FSU & BC). That defense pulled the team through more than once when the offensive wasn't clicking.

I, too, wonder about Premji's size playing in the middle. She might have more room to play-make and less physical challenges on the wing.

Maybe Lubrano is injured? UNC will need her grit and ability next fall.

25. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Finally spotted something on 2010 recruit Kelley McFarlane. A northern Cal ODP player who experienced an ACL injury this past summer and is still rehabbing. Plans to be healed by the time she reports to Tar Heel training this next summer. She has family in Chapel Hill as her mother is from this area. Participated in Anson's camp a few years ago. Given the rest of the incoming 2010s, it may be that Kelley will be behind a bit especially with her injury.

And thanks, PBJ, for your thorough review of the Tar Heels vs Atlanta Beat. As I said before, sad to see Merritt Mathias not there. I have assumed all along that Anna Seiloff would start next year, but I will not be surprized if Hanna is platooned, or at least gets significant PT. I agree with you hat next year will be a rebuilding year. However, if the girls cohesively gell through out the and Anson season gets the line-up stable, we still could make a run into the NCAAs at the season end. I do expect that the FSU will be the "Class" of the ACC next year followed by BC. I'll be happy if we make it in 3rd place.