2010 UNC Tar Heels

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Dec 22, 2009.

1. P.J.B.

P.J.B. Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Atlanta
    Robinho, you seem more familiar with Burchenal than most - from the sound of it, does she have the type of imposing frontline presence of say an Abby Wambach?

On a side note, some pics of Casey at nat camp are on US Ssoccer. In the wnt blog. From the looks of it, she pperformed well, but does anyone have further info on how it went? Would love to see her get some more looks on Pia's squad!

2. Rohbino

Rohbino Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Abby Wambach has been a prolific goal scorer throughout her career. If I am not mistaken, I believe she still holds the career goal record for Florida. Comparing Liz to Abby, or any player for that matter, may not be entirely fair. I do think that there are correlations between the two players. They both are tenacious attackers in the front and they also do a great job of getting behind the defense on both the strong and weak sides. At 5'10", Abby has imposing size in the front. Liz is a bit shorter at 5'7"ish to 5'8" but still has good size. I would not say that she is "stocky" but she definitely has an athletic build and is solid for her height. I'm not good at guessing the weight of people but I would bet she is in the ballpark of about 145 to 150 lb. and she is able to combine that size with good speed. Prior to Liz' last club season (spring 2009) if there was a knock on her game it was in her understanding of her defensive role as a forward. Since then, I think that her time playing against older competition and the games that she has played for the Boston Renegades of the USL have given her a better appreciation of her defensive role. This has rounded her game out somewhat and I think that it will serve her well at UNC.

To summarize, I think that Burch definitely has the skills, physical gifts and tenacity to get to the level that Abby Wambach was a collegiate player and is now. But, as always, only time will tell if Liz reaches that level. The other factor that players and fans hate to think about is injuries. I've seen many players that had great potential only to be hamstrung by injuries. Here's hoping that Liz (as well as the rest of the team) is able to steer clear of any injury that will hurt her career.

As an aside, that is great news about Kealia Ohai getting selected as NSCAA player of the year. Next year should be a fun season with all of the incoming talent.

3. enfuego

enfuego Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Hermann Trophy drought continues. Spread wealth.:p

Kelley deserved it. Casey should won it in 2008.

4. Dadl

Dadl New Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Andy,

With due respect, Anson boasts that he has never come out of the three back for anybody, and it's true. You can make all of the argument for it you want, but you're not going to find a match, statement, or book quote that supports that course of action.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a difference between changing the system for a particular opponent (how I understand Dorrance's 'we don't change for anyone' statement) and altering the system for the season due to available personnel (how I read Andy's suggestion).

Brooks was named to the U20 CONCACAF Qualifying team.

6. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    And so was Crystal Dunn who will be playing on Fetzer too.

7. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, sorry, missed that. I don't pay too much attention to players before they actually arrive on a college campus regardless of which college. I end up loosing track of what recruits are doing over the summer.

8. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Both good points. However, it is easier to move from a 3-4-3 to a 3-5-2 (both front-50% focus and attack oriented) than it is to switch from a 3-4-3 to a 4-4-2 (pace changes, line objectives change, especially in the back). Since UNC did not make the easier change in 2007 when the roster clearly called for it, they will not go to a more cathartic change in 2010 when there is no demonstrated need.

Given the athletic quality of the Heels defense and the (no offense) limitations of the tactical attacking skills of opposing front lines, the Heels will stay in a flat three until several teams can shred the back post problem. Until that occurs, any curiousity about changing line-up will most likely focus on improving scoring chemistry.

While we may change emphasis for a specific game, depending on circumstances, I'd say the Heels 3-4-3 is pretty much a given (for better or worse) until there is evidence that it has ceased to work. I've said before and repeat: the 2007 team was the best evidence we have of a squad that might have played more effectively in a different configuration, and how committed the Heels are to a 3-4-3. I think we are sure to see it again next year.

9. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You all have some great discussions on your thread. Very interesting.

10. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. And good point about the 2007 team. I don't seriously think Dorrance will use a formation other than the 3-4-3. I do think in certain situations the wide players (eg Kling) who might otherwise end up as outside backs in other systems might "stay home" a bit more.

Brooks very well may end up as the central defender in the 3 back but I'm not sure that's the best place for her or the team. I was very impressed with her play as a defensive/holding mid. She wins most everything in the air. Has bite to her tackles (while not being dirty). Nice passing. Provides good coverage & recovery. Decent shot. etc. And all that w/o looking like a headless chicken running all over the field. As a first year.

11. Rohbino

Rohbino Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    I completely agree about Brooks. She did an exceptional job as holding mid, especially as a freshman.

I've been an early and loyal Ali Hawkins fan, so it is quite a compliment (IMO) when I say I would be happy to see either in the middle. My point would be: if Hawkins is injury free in 2010, then either gal could go for 90, and we don't need two national calibre holding mids. Of the two, my intuition is that Brooks would make the better defender. Also, to your point about what is best for the team, if we start Brooks at holding mid, then who do you feel is the starter at central back?

13. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I got nuttin.

I don't know enough about the first years coming in or the injury status of others. I've not seen these kids practice so I can't tell which forwards/mids might make a good back w/o sacrificing too much.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McDonald just got drafted by the Chicago Red Stars. Did anyone here know she was leaving?

15. tarheelblue31

tarheelblue31 New Member

Jan 3, 2007
    well I guess we all found out Jess won't be coming back next year either!

16. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Looks like you posted it now. In case any UNC fans weren't aware.

17. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Wow, that is really interesting. Why would someone leave college early to make around 30K a year??

18. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, she's the same high school class as this draft year -- did a year at a jc b/f coming to UNC.

GoCourage, kinda sounds like you already knew she was leaving. Did most everyone else already know? None of the WPS fans in the other forum knew.

19. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Didn't like college? Lots of reasons I could think of, but it does seems a bit short-sighted considering she almost certainly would have been a top 5 pick next year. A real talent and all-around positive spirit. I thought she was going to be the leader of the 2010 team.

20. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I didn't know. Genuinely shocked. Your post was the news for me and I had to verify that the name was right. :D

21. jerseysoccer09

jerseysoccer09 New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I think it is really interesting, and pretty unprecedented in women's sports generally. I mean, I understand in men's sports when you have the option of signing a multi-million dollar contract and maybe don't want to risk injury. . . But I am assuming McDonald had a full scholarship at UNC, so she is giving up what is essentially a free college degree from an excellent school to make an income that hardly sets you up for the future. . . .

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ok. your :D made me wonder :)

23. UNC4EVER

UNC4EVER Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Ok, then.... This is quite some news... McDonald goes in the WPS draft!

On reflection, not a complete shock, but we will certainly miss her with the Heels as she had really taken her game to a new level in 2009. Best of luck to her in WPS!

With Bronze looking unlikely and McDonald going to WPS, the already large hole left by the exceptional class of 2006-2009 just got a lot bigger!

Spring season is going to be very interesting to watch... :eek: :)

24. GoCourage

GoCourage Member

May 27, 2001
    Durham, NC
    I would restate as jerseysoccer09 that is might not be a complete shock, but I would consider it unprecedented in women's soccer... I've heard of plenty of UNC basketball players who were done with school as soon as their eligibility ran out, not choosing to finish up their degrees even if they weren't the caliber to be drafted. Clearly college isn't for everyone.

The WPS isn't going to set you up for life, but if your talents are essentially ticking away playing and not getting paid, why not pursue that income source while you have the opportunity?

Good luck to Jess! I hope she plays out of her mind in the WPS and has a long and gratifying career in professional soccer.

25. multisport

multisport Member

Nov 9, 2008
    She is from out here in Arizona and was recruited by the heels out of high school....but could not academically qualify so went to Phoenix junior college and played in the then Arizona Rush w league team. Academics have not historically been her strong point so best of luck to her in the professional ranks.