2010 Hillcrest Syndicate Leadership Elections

Discussion in 'KC Supporters Clubs' started by KCRovert, Dec 3, 2009.

1. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    So sending one email every few months (if that) to all the season ticket holders is really the best we can do as a group? I know you don't get a lot of people offering assistance, but I think you know that there wasn't much being done to reach out to new people in any meaningful way. Do we even have any season goals for the group? Anything to strive for or to point to, to let members know this is an active group that cares about it's own image and growth, and therefore give them a reason to care about the group?

I don't buy that for a second. How about scheduling watch parties, stupid club vs. country debates, getting pissy in game about some perceived slight from someone in another group? It came from all over but some HS members were the most vocal in pointing out differences between AO etc and the "old timers". I dealt with the politics of that from the stand each week. I heard too much "Well we're just doing our thing."

Your "private" comment wasn't private, as I brought it up to you before you even told me any personal feelings on it. The conflicts of interest were obvious last year, and I don't think your position as head of a subgroup allowed you to approach those confilicts the way someone more removed from it could. Do you really felt you did your best to support and build up all the subgroups like someone who was solely interested in the total growth of the Cauldron?

I was hoping to do this at our focus group meeting, and I've told you much of this off-line, but I'll try to spell out some of the basic changes that I think need to be made before next season.

And that right there is a perfect example. If HS represents the Cauldron, then it shouldn't matter what group is mentioned at the top of the thread. According to you this is a Cauldron election thread, and I'm bringing up issues that I think should be considered before we do this.

2. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Despite the painful nature of reading this, I think it is good to have this kind of discussion.

If people have frustrations they should air them, if they have questions they should air them.

I don't think anyone needs to be defensive or afraid to ask a question.

I think we all have the same goals/ideas -- which is to support the team in the most noisy and intimidating way possible and to grow the section numbers.

I personally don't think the creation of subgroups has helped either one of those goals. I am sure others disagree.

I do think communication between Hillcrest Syndicate and its paid membership is poor. Infrequent emails and a languishing website are not good communication. I also think that communication between Hillcrest Syndicate and the other supporters groups in the Cauldron is also poor.

As I said previously, financial statements should be sent to the paid members on a regular basis, minutes of leadership meetings should be sent to the paid membership also.

These things are not meant as personal criticisms, but observations on how the organization could be run more effectively.

3. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff, I know you're just trying to stir things up for some reason, but go back and re-read what I have posted. Hillcrest Syndicate no longer represents the Cauldron as a whole. We did in 2009 because, as I have already posted, prior to the season there was no HS and by default, we were seen as the Cauldron Leadership because that's what we used to be. Quote where I said anyplace in this thread that these elections were for the Cauldron rather than Hillcrest Syndicate.

4. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be the first to admit this, I think 2009 was a down year as far as communication goes (and pretty much everything within the Leadership Group is concerned). We had issues both inside and outside of the section this last season that attributed to this problem...not an excuse, just a fact. We are already working on things for the 2010 season, and we will try to do better at keeping communication going throughout the season.

There will always be communication problems between multiple groups, it's one of the hurdles that is hardest to clear. I felt we communicated fairly well with AO (could always be better though), especially through the watch party arrangement made between the two groups early in the season. To my knowlegde, there has been no communication issue with Southern Voodoo, although what communication we had was rather limited due to issues as mentioned previously.

Communication is key when dealing with multiple groups, it's just something that has to be committed to, and it can be somewhat difficult from time to time.

5. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    I never considered it stirring it up, because we've had multiple conversations, so you have to know I'm unhappy with how things have been going. As of our last conversation, you told me things are going forward same as last year. But if it is stirring it up, so what?

Apathy is worse than anything and we're stocked up on that right now. If I stir some passion in myself or anyone else to make things better for next year, it is worth it.

6. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow....who knew that a simple Independent Support Group Election thread would kick up so much dust about the Cauldron as a whole. I had no idea.

7. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OH COME ON!

i don't believe that for a second, every issue kicks up dust for the cauldron. and a presidential election is going to kick up more than usual:p

8. NorthbankHighbury

Jan 25, 2009
    Liberty, MO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The above is so what I wanted to say ......

I don't think HS speaks for many (virtually any?) in the Cauldron, in fact out of that group of 50, 3 or 4 get to claim to be the default leadership and considering the grumbling at the tailgate about certain individuals it would not seem that the people within HS are particularly enamored with the way things are going.

I am obviously not in HS but what bothers me is the claim of leadership over the Cauldron which does impact me because its you folk the FO come to when they want to speak to the Cauldron at large. If HS leadership leads the Cauldron then HS leadership has failed, if 20 people voted in the Cauldron election then your communication truly blows (website, outreach) or people are apathetic about whats going on.

Maybe its time to start unifying the groups .... or creating a Wizards Supporters Association that looks out for everybody including the Cauldron and the majority, the hand sitters - they should have a voice as well, and it is them that will be filling the new stadium.

9. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a mix, but it's just as much if not more the later. Even ask Jeff about it, he puts out a call to do some painting and other stuff, and it's always the same 10-15 people that show up. People would rather show up and have things ready for them and not have to worry about doing any work. It was the same with the tailgate run by Wings. The majority of the group is apathetic or uninterested in getting involved to that degree.

That's what it was before this past season. There was the all encompassing Cauldron group. Last season, due to a push from the FO, the "Cauldron" leadership set up HS as well as other groups setting up their own ISG.

As for unifying the groups, that's easier said than done. I seriously doubt that some groups would be interested in unifying their group.

Unifying the groups isn't going to do much different than it was before. You're still going to have the majority of the section be apathetic. People have been trying for years with little to no success to get the section more involved, get people more into it with little to no success.

10. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't imagine why members of the Cauldron are not lined up around the block, pushing and shoving to get an opportunity to be involved in this.:rolleyes:

11. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Involved in what? I think if you give people a goal and some direction, generate a little excitement, you'd have more volunteers than what we currently try - which is to leave it up to the fates and hope someone decides to do something.

It's not always the same people helping paint. There are some consistent people who always answer the call, but I get new people out every time because they're excited about what we're making and how cool it will look when finished.

If it's related to the game, and it's fun, people will help.

I've never had any success getting turnout through email, websites, facebook or other impersonal forms of communication. Every successful event has come through word of mouth, phone calls, and hard work.

12. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are pulling this information together for a formal mailing to the membership.

In an attempt to get this thread back on track, just a reminder that nominations for the three open positions ends at midnight this Friday, 12/18/2009.

13. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This a thread on Elections of the HS leadership, nothing more...or it shouldn't be about anything more. IMO!

Keep the leadership as is for now!!!

14. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been done for our 2009 Post Season Leadership Meetingas well as the 2009 Annual Financial review. Should be in your inbox within a day or two.

15. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted to thank everyone in Hillcrest Syndicate who sent in nominations for the 2010 Elections. The nominees for each of the 3 open positions will be contact by the Vice President over this week to determine if they accept the nomination or not. Once all nominees have been contacted, all members of Hillcrest Syndicate will be contacted with voting instructions.

Thanks again, and watch your e-mail.

16. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on this?

17. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was sent for distribution earlier in the week. I will find out why it hasn't been sent out.

18. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hillcrest Syndicate members should have received an e-mail this morning. Let me know if any of you did not.

19. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i did not.

20. Evidica

Evidica New Member

May 19, 2008
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get it.

21. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just some basic troubleshooting, but did you guys check your spam filter? My first email from HS went there...

22. KCDEFENDER

KCDEFENDER New Member

May 9, 2007
    SW MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure did...I haven't got an email from HS ever.

23. KCRovert

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are looking into the distribution list. I will take a look at the spreadsheet this evening and confirm e-mail addresses with those post that they did not receive the e-mail. Good to get this cleared up now, as there should be more ongoing communication in 2010 and forward.

24. Evidica

Evidica New Member

May 19, 2008
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mike, I forgot how to use a computer. If it weren't for your brief distribution of knowledge there, I may have lost my job.

25. j_m_t

j_m_t Member

Aug 27, 2005
    KC
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how's this beneficial?