2009 WPS Draft Notes

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by breakersgirl, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Meinert6

Meinert6 New Member

Oct 22, 2006
    RI
    ha! awesome...
    "Security in this office park is a joke. Last year, I came to work with my spud gun in a duffel bag. I sat at my desk all day with a rifle that shoots potatoes at sixty pounds per square inch. Can you imagine if I was deranged?" - Dwight Schrute

Looks like we have ourselves a roster... is it April yet?

2. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a problem. I've been laying in a bed since the 6th due to ankle surgery so I certainly had the time.

3. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, I started to do the updates but he beat me to the first two picks so I just gave up!:p

4. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch! At least it was good use of your time lol :D

I can almost forgive you your Chelsea allegiance :p

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.soccerbroadcaster.com/best11-notdrafted.htm

Michael Minnich is running a pretty good WPS blog...

Here he mentions a few ladies that haven't found a home in the WPS yet...

A few that I'm curious about:

Monica Gonzalez, M/D, Notre Dame

Captain of the Mexico national team, Gonzalez is a versatile player who can play virtually anywhere, from left back to center midfielder.

Gonzalez finished her career in South Bend in 2002 with 17 goals and 17 assists, with most of that coming as a freshman before her move back to defender.

She also has two years of WUSA experience with Boston.

Dual citizenship (she was born in Texas) could mean she may not count against a team's international limit.

Nice read from Hillary Read on Gonzalez's quest.

Tiffeny Milbrett, F, Portland

Okay, so Milbrett didn't appear at either of the combines. We'll make an exception on our list for a player who has three World Cups, two Olympics (she scored the winner in the '96 final), 202 caps, and 100 goals under her belt.

She's currently playing in Sweden, but I'd be willing to bet the right offer would bring the 2001 WUSA Most Valuable Player back state-side

One that I was curious about...don't ask!:p

Ashlee Pistorius, F, Texas A&M

Probably the player whose omission on draft day raised the most eyebrows.

Pistorius' 81 goals and 194 points for the Aggies were both Big 12 Conference records; her 25-goal senior campaign in 2007 made her a Hermann Trophy finalist and won her the Honda National Player of the Year award.

She led Boston in scoring last summer in the W-League with eight goals and four assists.

Her 5-foot-10 frame makes her a weapon in the air in addition to her natural finishing abilities with her feet.

In a year or two, teams will be kicking themselves that they passed on her.

Honorable Mention: Maggie Tomecka, M, UNC

A local girl, great player, played with the best at UNC. Played for Tony at SoccerPlus CT..(as did Kristen Graczyk) I've got to believe she'll (they'll?) be in attendance at the local tryouts next month...

Thoughts??

7. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.newbritainherald.com/articles/2009/01/28/sports/doc4980fedf92fa2603854521.txt

Reds defender Maggie Tomecka and midfielder Kristen Graczyk are headed for tryout camps.

DiCicco said Tomecka, 25, a four-year starter and two-time NCAA champion at the University of North Carolina, will attend a tryout camp held by the Boston Breakers, the team he will coach when women’s soccer stages its professional renaissance at the end of March.

DiCicco extended an invitation to Graczyk, 25, but the former UConn star from Albuquerque, New Mexico, has opted to attend a Los Angeles Sol tryout.

Well, I guess you can't win them all...:p

I bet Maggie earns one of the 22 spots on the roster...

Good luck to Kristen....well, not really!;)