2009 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds / Steel Army

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh Riverhounds' started by Davcre, Jul 9, 2008.

1. FamousGreenArmy108

FamousGreenArmy108 New Member

Dec 11, 2008
    C-Town
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
  2. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Says the guy in Kettering, OH.

3. Keystone FC

Keystone FC New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    With Pennsylvania heritage. ;)

4. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't change the fact that you choose to live, and probably work, in Ohio. But I'm going to stop here because we have the rivalry thread. Shame on the other GA guys for coming into this thread.

5. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I can appreciate the benefits of the Everton partnership but I can't for the life of me understand the Hounds color scheme. The burgh's a Black & Gold city, period. So red when they're down in Washington or blue now - either way it doesn't cut it, and just fosters a sense of the team not quite fitting in with the three rivers landscape.

Last year's third jersey, gold with the black sash, should be the home kit. Would be the nicest look in USL.

6. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, I can certainly see where you're coming from, several others have brought this up in the past - personally, I love the blue and recognize it's ties to the City of Pittsburgh crest

I wouldn't mind seeing some gold on the kits, similar to Inter (blue, black, gold)

7. MJ_in_Pitt

MJ_in_Pitt New Member

Dec 14, 2006
    Quick update on Riverhounds keeper Zach Varga's red card from Saturday versus Harrisburg City Islanders.

Red card came in the 33rd minute.

Card will carry a one match suspension and the official report will be in to PRFC by midweek. The suspension can't be overturned but its likely the report will show a botched call by the ref.

8. DixieDean

DixieDean New Member

Jun 4, 2004
    Nassau, Bahamas
    His self-loathing is always good for a laugh.

9. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yeah, I like the three colors, like the Steel Army gear and the Pens revived blue 3rd kit.

10. Keystone FC

Keystone FC New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Much like your beloved Crew.

11. Keystone FC

Keystone FC New Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Kettering, OH
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Changes everything. If I was PURE BLOOD buckeye I would have slit my wrists a loooooong time ago. With Commonwealth in my background I have something to be proud about, and within 2-3 years I will be out of this double toilet hole of a state so that you can enjoy all of it's rich resources amongst your O-H-I-O cousin/wife/sister (what's the diff they're the same person).

You really don't want to go there. You'll just end up like you do over here.......OWNED!

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I'll be in the burgh the first weekend of August and will attend the match v Wilmington.

There isn't an Arsenal America branch in the great city of Pittsburgh (yet?) so I'm looking for a good pub to watch the Emirates Cup Saturday and Sunday, preferably close to my in-laws in the North Hills. Any suggestions?

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Pipers will almost surely have it, if they don't then its doubtful anyone else here will. Don't know if there is an AA branch here but there are lots of Gooner supporters unfortunately!

14. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nice...we'll be at the Radisson Greentree off the parkway west around 3:30pm...they have drink specials and free appetizers for us and there is a shuttle available that takes us to/from the game for only $5...I can probably hook you up with a spare ticket or two; if not, they have them for sale at a discounted rate at the bar

15. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Excellent!

16. whitehall l33t

whitehall l33t New Member

May 17, 2009
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Ya know, its a funny thing... our attendance is lower this year, and yet I get a better vibe at the games. Its kinda like, no it actually is, that our fans are becoming more and more invested in the matches and the side.

Couple of points:
    200 people on the field after the match meeting and greeting with the Riverhounds
    The number of kids that every week show up to wave the flags of the Steel Army
    The number of fans ages 1 to 50 in attendance wearing kits or T-shirts from their sides.
    The number of people with Riverhounds temp tattoos ranging from their arms to heads!
    The new people joining the Steel Army on a weekly basis.

Our support may be small compared to some other sides but our side is strong.

17. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Hugely disappointing match Saturday v the Heads. How and why the penalty was denied is beyond my comprehension, as was the triple substitution early in the second half, the attitude on display from the Hounds # 10 (shouldn't wear it again), and the abyssmal performance from the left back who, inexplicably, played the full 90.

The Heads look deep. All the more reason the "scrubs" taunt was...uncool.

18. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with points 1 and 2...I cannot stand Zewe, he's got some technical skill for sure but he lacks passion, gives the ball away constantly and has a terrible attitude on and allegedly off the pitch.

I can't fault Hayden (LB) too much.

Uncool? We're not there to be "cool" with the opposition :D

19. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Fair enough! The Heads' depth was impressive, though; not really a scrub among them.

If the penalty would have been called - and I can't believe it wasn't - it would have been a game.

"Blind/deaf/USL ref," indeed!

Piper's Pub was great, btw. :cool:

20. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad you checked out Piper's...it's a true gem here in the 'Burgh

oh yes, the Hammerheads have good depth and their backline is very mobile...Jerome should have def been awarded that penalty...was a pretty terrible call but even with the goal I'm not sure we get anything

our tactics are just not condusive to scoring so when we're behind the eight ball we just hoof it up field and hope for the best

21. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Tactics? What tactics? ;) Yeah...that tells the tale on the night (season?). Despite his impressive CV, I wonder if your coach/GM can take this team to the level it needs, that the Steel Army deserves.

22. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you nailed it (imo)

the problem as we see it is that Gene is also a minority owner

assistant coach Paul Child would be great but I don't think he wants the job

assistant coach/player Justin Evans would also be a candidate I assume

hometown legend "Mac" MacKenzie doesn't want the job

if we switched gaffers, I'd think that ownership (other than Gene lol) would come from the NJ area

on a side note, Gene seems to do a great job getting guys to sign here, so I dunno...

23. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Yeah, the impression I get is that Gene IS the Hounds and has complete control. Well, complete authority...

You mean THE Paul Child? I didn't recognize him there Saturday, though I haven't seen him since 1980 (still have his autograph)! He was with the Rogues when I lived in Memphis and I seem to recall he wound up in Steel City with the Spirit, yes?

24. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't Zewe kicked off the team last year? Or did he just leave to play overseas?

25. Davcre

Davcre New Member

Nov 6, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he left, but RUMOR has it that there was a falling out

personally, I think he's got some good technical ability but he also seems to have a piss poor attitiude and holds himself in much higher regard than what he produces on the pitch

"You're not fit, you're not fit, you're not fit to wear the kit!"