Rumor: 2009 FC Indiana

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by twinssoccerdad, Nov 17, 2008.

1. twinssoccerdad

twinssoccerdad New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    Was not sure where to put this so I started a new thread for the new year.

I heard some things this weekend and thought I would share.

There will be an FCI A-team (WNYFC) and an FCI B-team (located in Indiana).

With this being said Coach Shek can take all his signed players to New York with him and not break contract. That is where the "affiliation" comes in. I would assume that as soon as the existing contracts are up then the affiliation would end.

That would leave some talented players in Indiana but at this time no coach has been named publicly.

This is all rumor and my opinion and assumption. But I have talked to a couple of different people close to the situation.

Does anyone else know anything about this or have an opinion?:confused:

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well considering that they had ton of players last year, they could probably split up the team and still have two really good teams. Also, I would imagine they will still be able to bring in more good international players that are trying to get noticed by WPS.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So there could be an FC Indiana in New York?

4. Casey13

Casey13 New Member

Nov 6, 2008
  5. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not clear on this. Why and how can Indiana ownership group be involved with two clubs? Why would they have a stronger team in New York and a weaker one in Indiana. It makes no sense.

6. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I am totally guessing here and this is my opinion.

The "affiliation" is only so Shrek can take the players with him that are contracted to the FC Indiana team. As soon as they end those contracts you won't hear much about the affiliation.

This will be an interesting year for the club. Shek has done a great job of putting an excellent side on the pitch. I just hope they get a coach that will continue with the tradition and put a winning side together here in Indiana.

7. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I would assume they would try to get a WPS franchise in Rochester. Isn't that the plan?

8. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So is FC Indiana ownership allowing him to do this? I don't get this. If I was the owner of FC Indiana and I got wind of my coach going somewhere else and eventually taking my payers, I would immediately fire him, take his keys and tell him don't let the door hit your _ss on the way out! They have something great going at FC Indiana and now they want to reduce it to a second teer USL-W team? Since he didn't get the Red Stars head coach position is he trying to be in direct competition with WPS? I'm sure a team in USL-W is much cheaper to support than in the WPS. By their (Rochester team) words they seem to be in direct competition.
    This all seems goofy to me.

9. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I will wait and see what kind of product they put on the field. But I do not understand how the owners would let this happen.

10. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Hey there MRad...watch what you say!! Does this mean that your Ctown Gaels are a 2nd teer WL team?? Or are you finally saying that the FCI team should never have been playing in this league of amateures?

I dont get it either, FCI is going to be called a 'B' team, WoW, I wonder what the players that will be on the FCI team will think of that?? Then will this give teams like the Gaels and Lightning hope for next summer??

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    My point wasn't to belittle any team no matter what level. My point was that I didn't understand, if I'm reading all this correctly, why FC Indiana ownership would allow the dismantling of something they've tried to build over the years by a guy who apparently is not going to be their coach any longer. Why would Rochester be more important than Indianapolis?

12. bythesea

bythesea Member

May 27, 2005
    I took it to mean that FC Indiana was sending the coach and the players to Rochester. Why would they favor Rochester? Because they think they have a better chance to do well attendance-wise and generating revenues in Rochester?

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO, I think they are positioning Rochester for a WPS franchise. They have a ready made venue there, that they don't have in either Indy or at Purdue. And it sounds like their ownership is involved with the new team in Rochester. They are already going to lose some of their players to WPS. I think you will see both teams have strong squads. The key will be the international players that they are able to bring in.

14. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    We will see what FCI Indiana is left with since I saw that the majority of their american starters are invited to the WPS combine.

15. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is your answer
    http://westernnewyorkfc.com/:

W. New York FC adds Canadian International Nonen
    Paetec Park, Rochester, NY (November 18, 2008) -Western New York FC have signed defender Sharolta Nonen, the W- League club announced.
    The former Canadian international has extensive professional and international soccer experience; she has recorded 63 national team caps with the Canadian national team and has played in two World Cups (1999, 2003). Nonen played in the WUSA with the Atlanta Beat from 2001-2003 where she named to the All WUSA First Team in 2003. She was a three-time NSCAA All-American while at the University of Nebraska and was named Big 12 Conference Player of the Year.
    She joins W. New York FC after playing previously with the Atlanta Silverbacks and NJ Wildcats.​

16. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's confusing me is that Gary Weaver, the big money behind FC Indiana, is also an investor in the Chicago Red Stars (so I've heard... maybe I read it on Peter Wilt's blog?). So now he's investing in 3 teams with this NY outfit?

There was some sort of combine several weeks back and only a couple of FC Indiana players were lost to WPS, I think Luckenbill and Parker. The happy Spaniard Del Rio was drafted but is rumored to be staying at FC-I. That's not to say that others aren't still trying to get to the big league, but some are happy with the FC-I environment and will stay even if the opportunity for WPS knocks. It'll be interesting to see how this new NY team will fit into the team chemistry.

Mace

17. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I saw on the WPS website that the following had been invited to the next combine.

Sessleman-Purdue
    Sitch-DePaul
    Shaner-Notre Dame
    Jeffers-Tennessee
    O"Rourke-NC State

I would think that Chicago would want some local flavor too. If they do not get drafted and are patient to wait for the three teams next year I would hope they stay with FCI.

Mace-the press release says Amos the old coach in Rochester bought the team there. Do you think he if fronting all the money for that club but Shek just wanted to bring Del Rio and Ocampo and Phewa with him so they called it a joint venture?

Also, I did not see the Del Rio got drafted, who got her rights?

18. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    FC INDIANA’ PHEWA SCORES FOR SOUTH AFRICA

LAFAYETTE, IN (November 21, 2008) - FC Indiana striker Veronica Phewa’s 22nd minute goal gave South Africa WNT a 1-0 win over Ghana in their second group match of the African Women’s Championship (AWC) in Bata, Equatorial Guinea.
    South Africa, who beat Tunisia in their first match 2-1, are through to the semifinals of the competition and are now set to meet their nemeses, Nigeria's Super Falcons, in the last match of the group stage.
    Even if South Africa lose there is no chance that they can be overtaken by Ghana, who drew with Nigeria in their opening game and now have only one point, while Tunisia - on no points - are not a threat either.

Another FC Indiana player, defender Lena Mosebo, played 90 minutes for South Africa.

19. twinssoccerdad

Oct 5, 2007
    Indiana
    I saw this on the WNYFC site and no mention of it on the FCI site.

Shek has not taken long to dismiss his old team. Wish someon would purchase the team that is worried about it and would take care of it.

20. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    So what's going on with FC Indiana now? Without Gary Weaver, is the money drying out?

21. Voaiaj

Voaiaj New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Umea
    Club:
    Umeå IK
  22. CarmelSC

CarmelSC New Member

Jun 28, 2008
    They have had a bad streak with financial opportunities... NY, youth club mergers and attendance issues. I would be suprised if they are functioning as a club next year. They owe a lot of money to a lot of people.

Drawing more than 20 people to games is a big problem. Lets hope they can find someone to help fund this organization. Ticket sales can not do it at this point.

23. indy soccer fan

indy soccer fan New Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    FC Indiana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Attendance would improve if they did ANYTHING to promote this team. It seems to me that absolutly no effort was put into promotion and marketing after the RedStars game. It's like they just stopped trying. There were no mention in the local media, nothing done to bring in youth soccer groups (nothing creates a better enviroment at a soccer game than a stadium full of kids with parents who buy stuff), and by the end of the season there was no merchandise sales, no mascot, no prize give aways, no programs, and at he last game there wasn't even an announcer or clock keeper. One of the girls on the team that wasn't playing went up and did it.
    Me and my family attended every game for the last two years, but if you are going to attract the casual fan and be taken seriously by the local media you have to put forth some effort in looking like a professionaly run opperation. FCI has a fantastic product. These girls can play with any club team in the world and not look out of place. Definitly WPS caliper on the pitch but it dosn't matter how good your product is. If nobody knows it exist nobody will show up to support it.
    I sent two e-mails during the season and two more after the season offering to do anything they needed done that I could as a volunteer and have still not gotten the coutesy of a responce. I also spoke to a gentleman in the booth who was in some capasity with the team and made the same offer and he just blew me off as if it was a major inconvenience to have to speak to me. I have never felt so unappreciated for my loyal support in my life. If money is too tight and the don't want any help for free I don't know what else to think except they just don't care, and if they don't there is no reason why I should care but for some reason I still do. I love soccer and we love this team but you can not just open the gate, roll out a soccer ball, blow off the hand full of fans you do have and expect 4000 people to show up and after 30 plus years of being a sports fan in Indy, from the Daredevils to the Twisters, to the Blast and Blaze and now FCI this is the one lesson owner after owner of team after team that fails in this market just refuses to learn.

24. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Maybe that is one reason that the Red Stars skipped over Shek Borkowski and gave Emma the coaching job. Remember, Weaver used to own FC Indiana and now he owns the Red Stars or is one of the owners. At the beginning because of those ties I thought Shek would be the Red Stars coach for sure. But he may never have fit in an organization that prides itelf in putting the fan first. Shek may just want to coach and not do anything else. With the Red stars you have to do more than just coach, like do clinics, appearances, promotions, etc. all over the city and suburbs.

Sorry to hear that about FC Indiana. I'm originally from Indiana and would like to see a WPS team maybe in Indianapolis. FC Indiana with the right leadership and investment could do that kind of move.

What happened with the renovation idea of the old Busch stadium in Indianapolis?

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. That's bad. I'm sorry you had such a poor response. I hope you're able to find a team that appreciates its fans a little better and/or FC Indiana improves its customer service.