2009 (and beyond) MLS Assignments?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by hefftheref, Mar 19, 2009.

1. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone know where one can find the MLS assignments now. I remember with the old database, it was easy to find the assignments the day of the games.

Also, what do we expect to see from the referee side this season? Who's going to make a rise, and who may start getting less games?

My first prediction for the final is Marrufo, as this is the last one before the world cup (which i believe he is the front runner for)

And, it seems like Stott may be moving down. He's been around forever, and seems to have a game nearly every weekend. I'd guess that he may work less this year.

What does everyone think?

2. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

Well I hope to be a part of the "and beyond" though that will take some doing, improving, and years of experience to boot.

Anyway...

It looks like ussoccer.gameofficials.com does not post the referee crew on match days as was the case in years past. I do not doubt that this feature may come online as the system gets the bugs worked out though. I think that will come with time, the system has several bugs but I know they're being worked on right now, like referee availability is not being communicated to the assignors. It's caused some snags, but the assignors are doing the best they can to get this stuff right, so don't fault them.

As for tonight's game, Jair is the referee... I found that out by visiting the MLS website where you can find a match preview document and it lists the scheduled referees on the site.

As far as the other refs... I do not know what USSF has in store for the season aside from preparing Jair and his WC crew for 2010 in SA.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do we know who the two AR's that would go with Jair to SA? And will they work all (or most) of the games together?

4. KidRef

KidRef New Member

Jun 27, 2000
    California
    Yes, if you have a login you can login see them by going to reports and location schedule on the new pro site, even ahead of game day, but if you don't have a login, you can't see them anymore except in the match reports on MLSNET

5. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Week 1:

Seattle v. New York - MARRUFO / ROCKWELL / TOVAR / VAUGHN
    Houston v. Columbus - WEYLAND / SCOTT / BOLES / JURISEVIC
    Dallas v. Chicago - TOLEDO / FEREDAY / GARNER / ANNO
    Kansas City v. Toronto - GONZALEZ / LOWRY / CULLUM / PENSO
    Chivas v. Colorado - VAUGHN / VASOLI / ANDERSON / STOTT
    San Jose v. New England - SALAZAR / BORIA / ROCKWELL / REYES
    Los Angeles v. D.C. United - MARRUFO / TOVAR / HOSKING / STOTT

6. PawRef

PawRef New Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is C.J. Morgante and Kermit Quisenberry because they are typically with Jair in FIFA games. Not sure if they will work together though.

7. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    interesting to see guys twice (vaughn, stott, and marrufo) also that Jiar has two middles in a weekend.

8. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be too certain about that.

Remember that Chris Strickland is still our #1 most experienced FIFA AR. He's been to an Olympics and other major FIFA tournaments on his own and is the only member of Stott's WC06 crew to still be on the panel. You're right that Quisenberry and Morgante work most with Marrufo, but they might be actually competing against each other for the final slot. Remember also that Marrufo's initial Olympic crew included Quisenberry and Gansner, until the latter failed a fitness test (and was replaced by a Jamaican--not Morgante).

There seem to be a number of different possibilities occurring:

A) Morgante and Quisenberry make up Marrufo's crew, period (for this to be true, it has to mean Strickland has been passed over now that Stott has stood down OR that this crew is being groomed for 2014 and not 2010).

B) Quisenberry and Morgante are fighting for a spot and Strickland is considered a "lock."

C) Quisenberry is a lock (given his Olympic appearance) and the other slot is wide open amongst the other guys who have done international matches.

D) Quisenberry is a lock and, should Marrufo actually make the World Cup (remember, there are three CONCACAF candidates who have already been to World Cups, so he is an underdog right now), CONCACAF will stick him with a Caribbean AR just like they did at the Olympics.

As an aside, these were the US crews for WCQ matches in the last round of CONCACAF:

Toledo/Strickland/Rockwell/Prus
    Marrufo/Morgante/Quisenberry/Vaughn
    Marrufo/Quisenberry/Morgante/Salazar
    Salazar/Strickland/Supple/Vaughn

9. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought MLS was going to mic up the refs with headsets this year?

10. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    So far it is Marrufo, Quisenberry and Morgante ( although I think he is one of our weakest) for the WC. Nothing is a lock yet with any official but that was the crew sent to Spain for WC training.
    With the power of the US in FIFA now and the connections made I would look toward an all US crew being sent.
    Strickland is old and may be too old by the time WC comes along so they will not push him.

11. hefftheref

hefftheref Member

May 24, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I think that's the preferred crew, too, but there are variables and much can happen.

We may have attained some power in FIFA, finally, and Marrufo helped his cause in the Olympics. But let's not ignore the obvious. Marrufo is up against three referees who have not only been to the World Cup before, but have shined in the eyes of FIFA. Archundia, as a referee at a semifinal last time, is an absolute lock. Batres is considered by most as the best in our region and went to the 2002 WC and would have been a major player in Germany if not for his untimely injury. Rodriguez, the "second" Mexican, has refereed the World Club Cup Final and worked the last World Cup--he'd have to slip up this time to be denied a return trip.

Marrufo has done much better than I thought he would and I bet he has a real chance. But he's still fourth on the depth chart in the confederation and I believe, unfortunately, he only gets to go if something happens to one of the above referees OR if CONCACAF somehow swings four refereeing crews. And, if that (four CONCACAF crews is and twelve officials) should happen, I somehow doubt that CONCACAF would send 12 officials without a single Carribbean represenative. Maybe Rodriguez gets stuck with one, maybe Marrufo does--but I just doubt that Jack Warner lets 12 officials go from this confederation without taking care of his own.

Strickland is 42 right now. He is and will be eligible for 2010. And I don't think it's a question of him being "pushed." To be honest--and this is antecdotal--if Marrufo comes into serious consideration, it might come down to whom he is most comfortable with. Take 2006--Barkey went with Stott because that was the AR Stott was most comfortable with. Not many objective observers could claim that Lowry wasn't our best AR, but Barkey got the nod over him because of comfort level. If Marrufo prefers Morgante over Strickland, that might be enough right there. The bottom line is that these are questions and hypotheticals that few, if any, of us can have real knowledge of and understand.

13. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weyland could have easily sent off Frankie Hejduk there, IMO. (78th minute)

14. whistleblowerusa

whistleblowerusa BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jun 25, 2001
    U.S.A.
    Maybe but I believe Strickland is out and it may be his own choice as well. hard to keep a job and take off again for the WC.
    Batres may be considered one of the best but he has been inconsistent, although this year he has been better. Marrufo has a name that FIFA and CONCACAF are very familiar with and that helps him. I believe Batres will be left home this time around.

15. GlennAA11

GlennAA11 Member+

Jun 12, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Considering the howler Maruffo just had he will be lucky to get any games for a while. Between the double head injury he didn't bother to stop play for and then, even worse, the handling PK he called for the ball that struck a player in the leg he ought to be in some pretty hot water. Those sorts of things can't happen, especially at this level.

16. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In addition, I think it's nearly impossible to argue that the first penalty wasn't DOGSO. It was pretty much the diagram from the Laws. I don't understand how you call a foul there without showing the red card.

As for the second PK, you got to think that the AR could have used the headset to tell Marrufo he got it wrong. Then again, that's a delicate situation--do you insist that you saw it the right way, or do consider the possibility you didn't see it 100% perfectly and defer to the judgment of the referee? Either way, should make for some interesting discussion in the weekly notes.

17. HeyDude

HeyDude Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Kermit fail his fitness in Spain. So right now it is Jair and Morgante looking for a third for WC 2010

18. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't see the DC/LA game, but I think there were some missed reds for SFP on Saturday. The USSF memo on week 1 should be interesting.

19. KidRef

KidRef New Member

Jun 27, 2000
    California
    The mic is worn in the area where the shirt buttons are, it clips in. This is the reftalk system which is being sold to the federation and to individual referees by a national referee from California, $250/1, $1000/4 if anyone is interested.

20. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole thing seems like a foolish system. For the last WC, they failed people at the final fitness sessions, which makes obvious sense. Now they are failing people about 18 months out???

So Kermit Quisenberry has been good enough to officiate at the Olympics and in World Cup qualifiers, but FIFA is deciding now that he won't be good enough next summer due to fitness? And in the meantime, I'm sure, he'll be doing World Cup qualifiers, right? Absolutely baffling system, if true.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More than one in the Colorado-Chivas game.

22. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm scared of expansion. There doesn't seem to be a deep enough of pool of referees for the number of MLS games already, let alone with 3 more teams in 2 years. And the quality this weekend, and from experienced referees no less, wasn't good. It was if they weren't ready.....did they have enough preseason?
    Salazar was dire. Jay Heaps had a hissy fit at him and never recovered. Marrufo was bad in LA. I didn't see Chivas' game but sounds like Vaughn had trouble. Weyland giving Heyduk a free pass was bizarre. These are not the newbies!

23. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of missed SFP calls, I was surprised to see John Thorrington stay on the pitch at Dallas this weekend. Who would've thought that Toledo of all people would miss the opportunity to show a red card? :D

24. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got a few assignments posted for this weekend's games:

Columbus v. Toronto - KENNEDY / HURD / BALCIUNAS / GRAJEDA
    New York v. New England - PRUS / BARKEY / CLEMENT / GONZALEZ
    Colorado v. Kansas City - SALAZAR / BORIA / MANIKOWSKI / CHOUAF
    San Jose v. Houston - STOTT / ROCKWELL / ANDERSON / BRAGG

More to come as the previews gradually get posted on MLSNet.

25. Citiref

Citiref New Member

Oct 16, 2004
    The rest:
    Seattle v. Salt Lake: Toledo / Clark / Hosking / Reyes
    D.C. v. Chicago: Geiger / Supple / Dittmar / Chapin
    Dallas v. Chivas: Ward / Tovar / Garner / Mariscal

Best of luck to the referees making their debut!

And for good measure:
    LOS ANGELES SOL vs. WASHINGTON FREEDOM
    Seitz / Perez / Duffy / Bennett