2008-09 CONCACAF Champions League - Preliminary Round [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Islanders shock the football world!! ;)

Puerto Rico Islanders 1-1 LD Alajuelense

2. I-Got-The-BLUES

May 1, 2006
    Orlando, Florida.
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
    GREAT result for the Islanders!!!

3. scarfman

scarfman Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Houston
    any final score from this game?

4. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2-2 was the final result.

Great result for Marathon. They haven't lost at home so far this season.

5. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Weird that Quintanilla didn't take the penalty kick, he's usually the one that takes them. He has yet to miss one in the league.

6. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Just out of curiostiy, what's with your love-hate views on Honduran football? Your Honduran right? Seems weird that you trash talk your national team, but then come here and show your support for Marathon.

7. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Is there any Saprissa fan that doesn't have biased views against LDA :D

8. Azuran

Azuran Member

Nov 15, 2006
    Toronto, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Blame the Honduran press for my hate of the national team.

9. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    OK :rolleyes:

10. sshami88

sshami88 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    NY
    lol dont tell anyone but i was actually rooting for them:rolleyes: they pretty much held the ball the whole time but whats the point of having so much possesion and you cant finish... as the saying goes el que perdona pierde...

11. kali

kali Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Czech Republic
  12. kali

kali Member

Apr 28, 2006
    Czech Republic
    What about today's matches? I fancy San Francisco to make a good result in Guatemala. Jalapa lost some players for this season like Apellaniz or Castrillo, I believe they are weaker than last year and San Franscisco is a good team, they made good results in UNCAF last year. Jalapa may miss 3 players. :confused: What do you think?

13. Skeeter

Skeeter New Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Texas
    That Montreal vs Esteli match was hard to watch. It looked like MLS circa 2001. Sloppy pub league futbol.

The P.R.I vs LDA match on the other hand was wonderful despite the rough pitch. I Loved the LDA kits. The gold leaf numbers on the back were a nice touch.

14. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the story of the CONCACAF Champions League so far:

In each of their first legs, teams from MLS lose

In each of their first legs, teams from USL First Division do not lose.

I realized something interesting today... Is there a league in the world with more diversity in official languages of the places that their teams play than in USL First Division. You've got Montreal speaking French, Puerto Rico speaking Spanish and the rest English. That's pretty impressive.

15. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    These games have been unwatchable

what a INFERIOR LEVEL OF PLAY....

AND some of these stadiums should not have been okayed to play at to begin with......

MLS wants Libertadores?? HA HA HA never!!!!!

MLS cant even beat a joe public or that other non existant club from panama MLS has been pathetic to even look at...

16. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You didn't watch the Alajuelense match did you? That was a good match. Remember though, the poverty of some of these CONCACAF nations (in terms of the money their government has and how they use it, as well as for sports teams that aren't the main sport) is far blow CONMEBOL countries. You're going to see ************ grounds for some because they simply have nowhere else to play. I mean in these prelims I think 4 or 5 clubs have to play their home games away. Which not only sucks for them, but it sucks for the fans, because many can't make the travel because it's way beyond their financial means to do so. Empty stadiums result. That will go away for the most part in the Group Stage, though if Tauro advances it will rear its ugly head there.

17. sshami88

sshami88 New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    NY
    yea the game was good in a sense because what i saw was la liga dominate most of the game without been able to score. PRI showed they have something in them ( personally they played better than some mls teams) The reason why most stadiums are empty is because most people dont know who the teams they are playing are. The cruz azul game the stadium was basically desolated, la liga game the same....is not that there arent any fans but the "big clubs" fans are not interested enough yet to watch their team play some unknown squad......adn yes money is a major issue.!! LOL

18. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Well, you got German, French, and Italian in Switzerland.

The I-League? (India)

19. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    The Islanders played like shit compared to how they usually play. In the USL they have the highest goal differential in the league and they've scored more than every other team as well. But in Costa Rica they barely managed to get a shot on goal. They played more for the counter. I think the game in PR will be different.

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Quintanilla missed his PK vs Costa Rica... i dont know why he didnt take... probably got scared of missing in again
    Alajuela played a horrible game, congrats to the Islanders

video...

[youtube]sfBPl07Uxrw[/youtube]

21. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think South Africa has something like 10 official languages.

English, Afrikaans, Zulu, Xhosa, probably some more.

22. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought of them, but English is spoken everywhere there is a club as the major language spoken by all. In Puerto Rico that is Spanish, in Montreal that is French. I've been to South Africa, most everybody knows and speaks English as well as another language (regional or tribal) and typically one or two neighboring languages.

23. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Get a life sock puppet:rolleyes:

Seriously though La Liga has gone down bigtime, I couldn´t even stomach watching the whole match.

24. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Gotta disagree with you there Marquis. The game was pretty bad, poor control, poor passing, poor shooting, poor everything, from both teams. La liga's goal was a freak pass (to a player that was offsides too, IMO), PRI's goal was amateurish defending at best. And of course the field was very messed up.

Same here.

25. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    That's why i said he is yet to miss one "in the league" :D