2007 Schedule released

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by YilmazOrhan, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that the opener is in DC :)

2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I'm skipping a class where the professor is VERY strict on attendance to come to the home opener. Sack up...

3. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i wish it was as easy as just telling them to sack up.

4. soccerko

soccerko New Member

Maybe the 9/27 Beckham game won't be so bad for school kids. It looks like no school for the junior high and high school kids on 9/28/07 in Shawnee Mission on account of teacher conferences

http://www.smsd.org/parents/Documents/0708_Calendar.pdf

Maybe other districts will be off that Friday as well making the school night problem not quite as bad as it could be (although I doubt that all the KC Metro districts have their conference dates that early).

May 5th is a Royals home game. Here's hoping that there is some cross promotion with this date and the 4th of July. The new owners seem to be talking about making game day more than just the game. Guess they'll have a chance to show that on these two days.

5. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our new marketing slogan is revealed ;)

Much better than that Colorado rolling ball thing ...

6. dgb09

dgb09 Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Overland Park, KS
    On that note, are HDNet games exclusive to that channel. I'll likely buy the PPV package, but it looked like several away games are on HDNet. Any insight will be appreciated.

7. ockk

ockk Member

Jun 1, 2003
    raymore
    So what is the complaining about the schedule, a year ago we were all worried
    About the wizards leaving town, now that they are staying in town getting an new SSS
    We are b**ching about the schedule
    What are we a bunch a cry babies, we should be celebrating that OUR team is in town
    So quit the complaining and crying and enjoy every minute of it

8. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yep, we're just happy to be here. that goes against the entire mentality of this country. why do so many people think that demanding nothing less than the best is such a bad thing? yeah, we're happy we still have a team, but there's no reason why people shouldn't want to reach higher.

EDIT: let me try to rephrase. there's no reason that just because we were struggling to stay alive last year, we should be expected to look the other way when we get less than satisfactory scheduling.

9. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, what he said.

10. kcbaumer

kcbaumer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Lawrence KS
    What disturbs me is not the number of times we are on tv, but that we are on tv at home 3 TIMES!!! Of those 3, one is on HDNet (which you don't get without an HDTV, though I could be wrong about that), and another is on an all spanish station. Of course, the one game on ESPN2 is against Landycakes and Posh, but the lack of home televised games is a real kick in the pants. Had we been at a renovated HS stadium (where 6-8k doesn't look so damn small), would we have gotten more "nationally" televised home games?

11. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Couldn't give a crap about the tv schedule.

However, the number of midweek and Sunday matches is a little worrying.

The general consensus has been Saturday nights draw best. I can only hope the reason for moving away from that is that we secured our location very late in the game and had to take the dates that were left.

12. clintn

clintn New Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Springfield, Mo.
    I don't mind the Sundays too much, but overall I'm disappointed too. A Wednesday home opener is weird. As someone who has to drive more than two and a half hours one way to attend, and who has only missed one home opener in the last eight years, I'm disappointed that fans from so far away have essentially been excluded from attending this game.

And honestly, a noon kick-off on July 4? How many of you went to the noon game against the Metrostars a few years back? There were about 400 people in stands. I know because I actually counted them. Those of us that sat at field level left with scorching sun burns, and the game sucked because the players couldn't exert themselves at all.

Finally, the Beckham game on a Thursday exlcudes out-of-town fans, but it will also affect in-town fans. I coach high school soccer, and I don't know many teams that leave their schedules open on Thursday nights. Most varsity games don't even kick off until 6:30 or 7 PM, so how many players, coaches, and parents will have to miss the Beckham game as a result? I know my team and I will still be at our field when the Wizards and Galaxy are kicking off.

13. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not excited about the schedule... but now I know where I need to be when to beat on that heavy-@$$ drum. I'll take it.

14. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well according to Garber in the state of the league address, all games are suppose to be televised this season. Notice there are right now no direct kick games on here. Metro Sports should be picking up the away games that aren't televised I would guess, and when we play at home, I would assume the visiting teams FO would have the game televised some how.

15. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm hoping that it's a World Cup style set up (local providers feeding to multiple edit/broadcast bays) with a token few dedicated photographers for each team. That should cut down on the cost a bit.

But in doing research, I came across this. Strange that they still have it on the website despite the killer hit it took mid-season and the immediate removal from the game and any future MLS broadcast of the SkyCam. (Warning, it's a bit disorienting...)

16. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh, that's annoying.

17. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am pretty sure that you have to purchase the HDNet programming. I have Time Warner Cable, and HDNet comes in a package of 4 or 5 channels (which I pay about $5/month for), including "HDNet" where the games are shown. If you have it available on your system, I highly recommend it not only for the games, but the other programming as well. The games in HD are spectacular! I personally am happier when they schedule more of our games on HDNet.

By the way, you do need to have an HD compatible TV and converter box in order to be able to purchase HDNet programming.

18. KCBearcat

KCBearcat New Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Made me wanna throw up...

19. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    the only thing that really gets me is ending the season with two games on the road...the rest of it I don't really mind...i guess the home opener on a wed. isn't all that great, either....

20. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny how those two teams are the same two teams we played in the last regular season game of each of the last two seasons with a playoff spot within our grasp (Dallas 2005, NY 2006)....hope that's not an omen! I think the schedule maker is going to keep doing this to us until we can prove we can win on the last day of the season with a playoff spot on the line. Let's hope we have a spot clinched by the time we play our last regular season home game at Arrowhead. Oh wait, didn't we already play that final game back in October? :rolleyes:

21. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cable box/satellite reciever - yes, TV - not neccesarily.

My HD reciever can be set to only output in 480i (standard def) so you should be able to run a regular TV on, with the HD programming. IIRC, Andy Mead has done this in the past.

22. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had Time Warner Digital Tier and currently have Everest, both have HDNet as part of the Digital Tier (I had/have it without having to pay anything extra).

And I agree about having it, it's excellent....espcially on the 52" dlp HD.

23. kcbaumer

kcbaumer New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Lawrence KS
    While every league game may be available on Direct Kick, unless you are an avid soccer fan you probably won't be watching. Hell, unless you are an avid MLS fan you won't be paying and watching, which is awful for the Wizards in the Kansas City area. You want fairly easy television access to your product, especially during a time of year that sports programming besides baseball is pretty barren. Plus, the days where games are held during the night on the weekend is a decent TV viewing time, and on a weeknight you have a chance at capturing a casual sports fan not in the mood to watch the World Series of Poker.

When a deal with Metro Sports is announced, I will feel much better because it means a decent part of the viewing community can access the games fairly easily (as I'd assume MS is somewhere near the bottom of the TV dial in KC). You don't want people to have to search for your product, and I know in Lawrence getting HDNet involves getting the HD receiver even if it doesn't involve having an actual HDtv.

Really, what I'm saying is that the TV schedule is mostly prohibitive to precisely the type of fans you want to watch (the not soccer die hards that just want some sports coverage). Plus, a great deal of sports fans check the Star to see what is on TV, and seeing games on the all spanish network or a channel they don't get because they don't see the utility of paying for a network that only offers quality programming for an HDtv is hurting that ability. The more lazy people watching, the better.

24. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey promote the July 4th game..... go to the game... then tail gate AFTER then get drunker than ten skunks.. and go to the royals game.. and watch the fireworks.....

25. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP...

Even though its an early start, I hardly think you'll find anyone opposed to drinking before noon at the Cauldron tailgate.