2007 FC Dallas PHP Attendance, 95.9% games played.

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by FC Uptown, Oct 18, 2007.

1. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Code:
    [I][U][COLOR="Red"]Team GP 2007 AVG 2006 AVG VAR[/COLOR][/U][/I]
    Galaxy 14 24,056 20,814 +3,242
    DC United 14 20,811 18,215 +2,596
    TFC 14 20,112 N/A N/A
    Revs 15 16,787 11,786 +5,001
    Red Bulls 15 16,530 14,570 +1,960
    Fire 14 16,142 14,111 +2,031
    RSL 14 16,058 16,366 -308
    Dynamo 15 15,883 18,935 -3,052
    Crew 15 15,230 13,294 +1,936
    [B]FC Dallas 14 14,763 14,982 -219[/B]
    Rapids 14 14,747 12,056 +2,691
    Chivas 14 14,123 19,840 -5,717
    Wizards 15 11,586 11,083 +503
    MLS TOTALS 187 16,640 15,504 +1,136

With 95.9% of the season now played, MLS' average attendance is now up 7.33% from last year, although Dallas is slightly down.

Thoughts? Reasons? Explanations?

2. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    We'll be up after tomorrow nights game. We didn't get a bump from Beckham like a lot of these teams did. Check most of these teams for how many 15k+ games they had and FCD will be right there in the middle.

3. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow. The Dynamigos average goes down over 3K a game after a championship season. What's up with that?

4. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    The better number is the Median, not the mean. Although Dallas has less big game numbers that screw up the average, so maybe not as big of a deal here. Last year was the first full year of PHP-ness. No surprise they weren't able to 100% replicate the numbers there.

5. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    People tired of being vandalized and beat up in the parking lot.

6. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Check it out: Half of all MLS/FCD fans were above the median age.

But half were BELOW the median age!

I propose a blue-ribbon task force.

7. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Dynamo had a game before the Barcelona vs Club America (I think) 2006 game at Reliant Stadium - that was about 60k - and that padded last year's numbers.

New England's numbers are up significantly this year, but that may be the result of an international friendly as well.

Overall, I am surprised (despite MLS cooked numbers, etc) that attendance is down slightly. Seems like there are more people there this year.

8. The Gribbler

The Gribbler Member

Jul 14, 1999
    Cedar Hill, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had more day games this year. Way more. At least that's how I recall things.

9. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is it's a result of more accurate reporting of the numbers this year over prior years.

Remember that story that came out showing teams and the numbers of freebie tickets given out? Dallas was one of the (if not the) highest.

So perhaps now there's not so many freebies, but more actual butts in seats, resulting in slightly lower (but more accurate) numbers being reported.

I know at the start of the season I found myself coming away from a game thinking "Wow...that really felt like more than 12k. Weird." And other fans across the League have been saying similar things all year long.

10. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Which is why median attendance is the better barometer....like I said.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    More day games, and, thanks to the TV contracts, more Sunday and Thursday games.

12. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we were the one team that didn't have a Beckham game in our league schedule.

13. FCD Hoops

FCD Hoops New Member

Sep 20, 2007
    Frisco
    i went into a sports shop in the galleria this week & asked the guy if he had any fc dallas merchandise. the guy said, "what's fc dallas?" that's pretty sad. :mad:

#s will jump up now that the tollway is opened up & once the restaurants & whatnot get filled in around PHP. hope the area turns into a shops on legacy & draws folks to the area for entertainment.

pubs like legends & lochran's will help, too.

originally we bought the smart circle card (4 free home game tix, 12 buy one/get one tix), then decided to buy seats outright & give the BOGO tix to friends & co-workers to get more folks to the stadium.

would like to see more fc dallas bumper stickers. any press is good.

the biggest surprise to me was how low chivas' # are

14. Dre00

Dre00 Member

Oct 12, 2005
    H-town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was 70K but you're right. If you take that out of the 2006 average, our average went up about 400 I believe from 2006 to 2007.

I think our median went down about 1000.

15. markspence02

markspence02 New Member

Aug 10, 2001
    Fort Worth
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree - Thursday night games do not help attendence numbers. It makes it difficult for anyone outside Dallas/Frisco area to come to a game.

16. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    The day games, the Thursday games, the no real Beckham game on the calender - none of those things helped with attendance. I thought there were some great promotions this year - Toja Wig Night and the opening of the stage area being the greatest. I am always interested in the business of promotion and getting fans out to the games and I sometimes wonder what other ideas can be tried to increase numbers. Of course, winning always helps get people out too.

17. Parrish

Parrish Member

Aug 22, 2002
    Lincoln Park,Chicago
    What? How dare you suggest such a thing! Are you suggesting that Hispanics have poor memories? It's rascist accusations like this that make Dallas fans hated by the rest of the league.

18. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    No, no, no....you've got it all wrong, Parrish...he's saying that Hispanics can't count.

19. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, you're both right. I was saying they have poor memories, can't count, AND after years of their national team losing to the Great White EE UU, they don't understand the concept of being winners. :D

20. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    ....this is chum in the water for the Amigo fans.....countdown until they arrive.....

21. fcd_noob

fcd_noob New Member

Apr 17, 2007
    Plano
    Yeah, but if the lead-off comment is from Likker20 we won't know what he was blathering about anyway. :rolleyes:

22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With tonight's announced attendance of 20500 the year total is 15145.

23. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that announced attendance, it is official that they have not completely let go of the attendance inflating. It was a really good crowd, but defenitely not 20,500.

24. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BIS was around 15k but a lot of folks's tickets may have counted for this game if they hadn't used them up to this point - last game and all.

25. Dr. Foosball™

Dr. Foosball™ New Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Hot Springs, AR
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would be willing to bet it was higher than 15K. The thing is, they electronically scan the tickets when the fans enter = The know exactly how many people "attend" the game. No need to lie, it is obvious when there are empty seats that 20,500 is not the correct attendance.