2007/2008 Villarreal General News/Rumours thread.

Discussion in 'Comunidad Valenciana' started by Pints, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Xyrus

Xyrus New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Those "pit stains" don't look too great really. The team is wearing the new shirts, however. The new shirt is almost identical except for the collar.

2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    News coming out that Celta's Angel Lopez will be playing for Villarreal once he passes his medical.

3. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
  4. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Reports I am reading indicate Riquelme may or may not be on his way to Atletico (possibly too many non-eu players). I am happy to see him go, but I hate that it was to another Liga team, as he is still damn good.

Does anyone know if we are still pursuing another central defender - possibly that one from Sao Paulo, whose name I cannot remember? After picking up Angel, if we added him in central defense, I do not think we could put together a more complete team. I am really impressed by Lleanaza (sp?) and Pelligrini's signings.

5. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada

6. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    sorry...i must not have been paying atttention...i meant to say if we added the sao paulo player we were chasing in central defense.

I looked it up...his name is Alex Silva. He's Brazilian.

7. david_silva

david_silva New Member

Apr 21, 2006
    Canada
    No worries... Alex Silva on Sao Paulo would be another good signing if you guys beat other teams to the punch.

8. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    looked like Roman's sale was for 9 mil euro. Guess we got what we wanted, I hope...

9. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    We can make a thread for this match when the day gets closer but our first opponent in the first round of play in this seasons UEFA cup has been drawn.

Villarreal vs. FC Bate Champions of Belarus.

First match to take place on September 20th, Second to take place October 4th.

They finished their season 8 points ahead fo the pack with a 13 0 3 record.
    They were founded in 1973 and for the better part of the decade have finished in the top 3 positions in their respective divisions.

And....their jerseys are awful familiar.:D

[​IMG]

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I've seen him listed for both Lanus and Nueva Chicago? A current DCUnited player Christian Gomez played for Nueva. He also is listed as being on the U-20 for Argentina. Can someone with more knowledge expand on what he brings to the team.

Also with Jose Mari gone that leaves
    Tomasson
    Rossi
    Nihat
    Franco

Stilll good to see them answering our prayers of getting more depth in defense.

11. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    I think he has been loaned to Lanus for 1 year..., I'll try to confirm it but we still have 3 players without EC passport, Matias Fernandez, Diego Godin and Riquelme, who is going to be the whole season training, not playing a minute with Villarreal and earning 4,5 million € (tax included) for this... :confused:, so we can't have him on the team, by the moment. Besides, I've heared that Josemi can be considered this season as the 4th center back defender (after Fuentes, Cygan and Godin).

12. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Riquelme's going to be sent on loan again with Boca if you believe the rumours.

13. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    I don't think so, Fernando Roig was taxative about this. If Villarreal loan him to Boca would mean that Roman Riquelme win and got what he was looking for.

14. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    I'm not upset about Roman not going to Atletico...

15. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Well there aren't any other options left are there? He'll never play again for Villareal, Pelligrini made that perfectly clear. So if he doesn't play for the next 6 months that would mean that his market value deminishes even further and even if there are other offers outside of Spain during the january window (Inter and the like) Riquelme will just turn them down.

Seems to me that it's time for Villareal to cut their losses.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    So that's what it boils down to right. Not giving Roman what he wants. :rolleyes:.

Anyway it's not a loan. It's the same amount of money Boca offered last time plus 20% of the future pass of either Ever Banega or Rodrigo Palacio. Which ever one gets sold first. That was the last news out of Argentina.

17. Volrath

Volrath Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Turns out you're right, so now he's going to rot in the stands untill december. Good job Pellegrini!

18. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    The players - Franco, Josico - are saying they are ready to play with Riquelme. At this point, now that he is actually training with the team, it is starting to feel that he might work his way back onto the field. Although I wish he were sold, if he can come back on and play well, I am all for it. When we played Valencia, it felt like everyone on the field was playing with a Riquelme-esque style - somewhat slow paced, but with perfect passes, frustrating the other team. I know there has been a lot of talk about him sitting in the stands, but is anyone else getting this impression?

by the way, Pints, are there any bars in this area you know of that show la liga matches?

19. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Member

Apr 1, 2003
    Some stadium in Qatar
    He is not going to play. We all wish he was, but it simply isn't so.

The fallout with the team manager and president was too great.

Also, he is not as expensive as we all believe him to be. He may be paid $4M year, but i suspect that is tied to number of games he plays, and also the position of the team at the end of the year.

Additionally, he has to train like a professional because doing otherwise would get him heavily penalized, as stipulated on his contract.
    A fine to the tune of $125,000 for not showing up to training will get you out of bed, whether you are hungover, sick, or simply not feeling like playing....

20. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I am not certain, I have several friends in the Barra Brava at DC United that watch La Liga matches in DC. I'll see if I can find any. You're in Annapolis correct? Have you considered getting GolTV?

21. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    i think you misquoted.:)

22. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
  23. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Wow that's weird, it grabbed your name but Maddi's post.:eek:

There is obviously another crash coming soon.

Nice to see he won't be out the entire season. These subsequent injuries are screwing him up.