2007/2008 Villarreal General News/Rumours thread.

Discussion in 'Comunidad Valenciana' started by Pints, Jul 25, 2007.

1. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    Really? I was rather unimpressed with his performance, although I really only saw him in the Argentina game.

I thought Suazo would have been a good signing from Chile but he is now at Monterrey.

By the way, there are too many midfielders! Pires, Senna, Cazorla, Cani, Fernandez, Somoza, Mavuba. pretty much any of them deserve to be on the field

2. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    in U-20 WC they altered between Sanchez and Cortes, while Vidangossy stayed at the other CAM position. Sulantay is a good coach (demonstrated against Nigeria, a pure tactical win), and he trusted Vidangossy, it's logical if Manuel Pellegrini follows his footsteps.

we use 5 midfielders. that's just enough for starters and backups. or is it? :D

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I fail to see how that is the case. We wanted to keep the kid but he insisted on moving on despite assurances of getting games in the coming season. There was little we could do.

4. Parsifal

Parsifal New Member

Sep 9, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    I take it he wasn't too reassured after the pursuit of Carlos Tevez. Wouldn't that have placed him as third choice behind Rooney and Tevez? In my earlier comment I was referring to the possible exemption of a strict buy back clause in Rossi's contract with Villarreal. I'm certain that it could have been very easily stressed by United's staff.

5. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    AF's going to try playing both, not benching one.
    If that fails then different story.

6. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    -------Senna---Somoza

Pires----Mavuba---Cani---Matigol

Seems just right to me. :D

BINGO

7. Xyrus

Xyrus New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Well we used 5 midfielders in our end-of-season run when we had Forlan as the reference up front. But we no longer have Forlan, and Rossi is no Forlan in terms of positioning, running, and movement. In that area I think Forlan is easily one of the top 3-5 strikers in the world. He's a creative midfielder's dream striker. But now that our strikers are all pretty small, Pellegrini may choose to play a 4-4-2 again, though he could do that in a 4-5-1 too because Nihat and Rossi both function perfectly in the mediapunta position (though not in that role).

We have a perfect number of midfielders IMO because they are all quality. The ones who will stay are probably: Pires, Senna, Mavuba, Josico, Cani, Mati, and Cazorla. Somoza may be on his way out, we'll see. With 3 players ahead of him in the pecking order it's unlikely he'll see the pitch much.

But anyway the best problem to have is a problem of having too much, right? :D

8. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    Well guys, I hate to give you bad news but :(, Jose Enrique signs for New Castle...

:eek:... yes, it's true..., I'm still shocked and I don't know what to say.

We still don't know much about that notice..., why..., price... but I'll inform you as soon as I know.

About the match against Zaragoza, we won in the penalties. Match ended 1-1. Our goal was scored by Guille Franco.

That's all by the moment.

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would he want to go there :mad:

:D at least so far he's not gone on any loans

10. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    this is just ********ING GREAT!

Our defense was like this last year:
    starters: Enrique-Cygan-Fuentes-Venta
    substututes: Arruabarrena-Alvarez-Josemi
    Gonzalo Rod hurt.

Cygan is 33, venta 32, arruabarrena and alvarez are gone now.
    Gonzaol Rodiriguez is missing whole ********ing year?
    Now with the news you bring us, what do we have left?

None---33 yr old----Fuentes----32 yr old
    sub: Josemi

what defenders did they use against zaragoza?
    Capdevila? Diego Godín?

please find out and get back to us on this one.

11. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry about the loss. What are your thoughts on Enrique as a player?

12. Xyrus

Xyrus New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Yeah that's a blow. I don't know why we sold him. Probably when the player learned of Newcastle's interest he demanded to leave. He seems like that type of person. His previous clubs, Celta and Valencia, both hated him actually because apparently he thought excessively highly of himself and was arrogantly demanding a regular starting spot even though he was a bad player at that time.

I don't know if that's true anymore but he would be the type to jump at a chance to leave like this. I knew all along that loyalty was not his strong suit, I just didn't think the club would let him leave.

From what I read, he traveled with the team to the Zaragoza match, and then once he found out about the Newcastle deal, he just took off right before the match started and got the hell out of Dodge. That's just the kind of person he is. Jaypro, he's a really good player now, it'll be good for Newcastle. I'm just not sure about his attitude. If he does well at Newcastle and a club like Chelsea come knocking then I guarantee that he will demand to leave.

Hopefully this means we will get one or two more defensive signings.

Rios, here was the lineup against Zaragoza:

Viera

Venta----Cygan----Fuentes----Capdevila

Senna------Josico

Cani----------Nihat----------Pires

Franco​

Nihat would have been further up the pitch but you get the idea, he's the off-striker there.

Substitutions:
    54' Josemi in for Capdevila
    57' Tomasson in for Nihat
    57' Bruno in for Josico
    67' Cazorla in for Pires
    67' Kiko in for Fuentes
    75' Somoza in for Senna
    75' Rossi in for Franco

Franco scored in the 9th minute.

13. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Isn't Somoza going to get loaned out/sold?

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks guys for the info. Good Luck to the Yellow Submarine this season.

15. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    From what I recall of him, he is a decent defender and loves to get upfield to start attacks, has a decent cross . All in all a good player. But yeah, as Xyrus said, I have heard he is in love with himself a bit.

16. soccer krazy

soccer krazy Member

Nov 30, 2005
    California
  17. Xyrus

Xyrus New Member

Jan 23, 2006
    New Jersey, USA
    Good for Somoza really. He was brought here more or less under false pretenses. He played maybe a few times here and there, and as a substitute at that, throughout the whole season, despite putting what I considered a very good (albeit unofficial) debut performance in the friendly against Newcastle last year.

Coming down from the transfer clouds for one second, it has to be admitted that Somoza was a bad transfer and a waste of money.

18. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    I feel better now...:)

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1086086,00.html

I think that 9.3 million € for a defender is a good deal for Villarreal. We payed past season 3 million € for him, and we get for free the spanish team left back, Capdevila. So, comming season could be a problem to have two very good players for the same position. In addition to this, Jose Enrique (or his representants) was asking for more money to stay here and saying that he had a lot of offers from other teams that would pay him a lot more. That situation conduced Villarreal to accept the best offer for both.

19. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    I believe I read that the backup left back will be de la bella. SempreGroc, do you know much about him?

20. rios

rios Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Club:
    Villarreal CF
    Diego Godin can also play LB
    but there has to be at least one other reliable CB backup. that's not even considering if one of the starters gets injured.

21. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    No, I don't know mouch about him. He has played in de Villarreal B since Carlos Alcántara signed with Deportivo de la Coruña. He has gone with the first team in any match but never played. People says that is fast and like to attack.

I think that he can be a good substitute for J. Enrique, but I readed in a newspaper that he still hasn't a fix number for the first team (Bruno has it...) so maybe he don't stay for any long...

22. cabanes

cabanes New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    world citizen
    joder, i forgot about alcantara, he was good. so was arzo.

23. SempreGroc

SempreGroc New Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Villarreal
    Hércules 0 - 4 Villarreal

Line-up:

1. Diego López (Goal keeper)
    2. Josemi (Right back)
    3. Fabricio Fuentes (Center right back)
    4. Pascal Cygan (Center left back)
    5. De la Bella (Left back)
    6. Cazorla (Midfield right)
    7. Marcos Senna (Midfield center right)
    8. Bruno Soriano (Midfield center left)
    9. Matías Fernández (Midfield left)
    10. Giuseppe Rossi (Forward left)
    11. Tomasson (Forward right)

Substitutions:

45', Senna >> Somoza
    45', Matías >> Cani
    61', Bruno >> Mavuva
    61', Tomasson >> Jose Mari
    61', Rossi >> Nihat
    86', Cygan >> Kiko

Yesterday night Villarreal played in Alicante against Hércules, one of the 2ond division's teams that are suposed to fight for one of the three places that get acces to the first divison of la Liga.

Villarreal showed since minute 1 who was the better team on the field, taking always control of the ball and generating a lot of situations to score. Players showed a very good physical condition and kept a high rate right to the end of the match.

The goals:

0-1, 36', Tomasson. He shooted a penalty prompted by himself.
    0-2, 46', Tomasson take advantage of the mistake of one defender that couldn't clear the ball and scored easily in the face to face with the goal keeper. He is an authentic killer...
    0-3, 55', Rossi showed us his quality dribbling at least three defenders in the front of the area and, I have to say that with a few of good luck, he catch the ball in front of the goal keeper scoring easily.
    0-4, 80', Nihat catch a good delibered ball from Somoza (I guess) and, after dribble the goal keeper and a defender, scored shooting the ball between the keeper's legs.

Opinion about the players:

Rossi: He looks very fast in short runnings (he remind me a little to Romario, little, fast and explosive movements) and have a very good dribling. It's very dificult for defenders to mark him.

De la Bella: I haven't seen him play before last night and he caused me a very good impression. Now I think we don't need to buy a new left back defender.

Mavuba: He played only a few minutes and that's not enough to qualify him...

Bruno: It's amazing the tranquility of this boy playing the ball. He looks like he was all his life playing on this team. He is strong, resistent, agresive and have a very good quality distributing of the ball. It's a great sign for Villarreal next season.

Tomasson: It's an authentic killer and, if we don't sign another player for his position, I'm sure he will score at least 20 goals next season.

24. maddi

maddi New Member

Jun 29, 2007
    There was something on tribalfootball.com that Villarreal have talked to Inter about Marco Materazzi. (reported August 7). Anyone else heard anything like this?