20-team League Format

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Jntg4, Aug 19, 2012.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now that we know Team 20 will be NYCFC, what should the schedule format be? I have two ideas:

1. Two conference of 10 clubs with each conference having two divisions of 5 clubs
    1 game against each club in the other conference (10 games)
    2 games against the clubs in the other division of your conference (10 games)
    3 games against the clubs in your division (12 games)
    32 games

2. Two conference of 10 clubs
    3 games against 1 rival in your conference (3 games)
    The rivals could be:
    Colorado-Real Salt Lake
    San Jose-Portland
    Seattle-Vancouver
    Los Angeles-Chivas USA
    Houston-Dallas
    New York Red Bulls-NYCFC
    D.C.-Philadelphia
    Chicago-Sporting Kansas City
    Toronto-Columbus
    Montreal-New England (or Toronto-Montreal and Columbus-New England if you insist on pairing Canadian clubs)
    2 games against 8 clubs in your conference (16 games)
    2 games against half of the other conference (10 games)
    1 game against half of the other conference (5 games)
    34 games

2. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have actually come around and am in favor of a single table 20-team league playing everybody twice for 38 games and that's it. We are already playing over 33 or 34 weeks. International-heavy years (of which 2015 is not one) would be problematic, but I am nearly as tired of the constant switcheroo as I am of the constant "here's how many times everybody plays everybody else" circlejerk.

This is not realistic, I realize that, and can't hold past 20 teams anyway.

3. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Can't hold with 20 teams, either. They tried it, and everybody involved in actually playing the games came up very much not in favor. And that was with 18.

4. drdi

drdi Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Porto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the results in the lamar hunt cup nasl teams can perfectly claim a spot in concacaf cl

5. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd go with this one.

38 games in just too much for country as big as the US. It might go if there were no playoffs, but I can't think of an American league without playoffs.

6. Zxcv

Zxcv Member+

Feb 22, 2012
    Ah yes, those short seasons in the other leagues, like the 82 in NHL/NBA or the 162 in MLB.

7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And how much more rest between games does soccer require than those sports? If MLS wanted everybody to play everybody else twice a year and have the U.S. Open Cup/Canadian Championship and playoffs (and CONCACAF Champions League for some clubs), MLS should have stopped expanding at 18 clubs.

8. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Makes me think... should promotion and relegation ever happen, I believe a 16-team top league would make even more sense. Since travel is the big issue with a large league, 30 regular season games a year would limit the quick-turnaround coast-to-coast travels. Single table might be feasible. And of course, a better pyramid would mean a stronger, bigger Open Cup. We would have more room to devote to the CCL, which would hopefully be on a larger, more impressive scale by then. And if Copa Lib ever happened for us... And then you can cap it all off with an 8-team, conference-free playoff, without the boring "everybody plays the same teams again" to qualify for the final. But in all, with a slightly less congested regular season, we could see MLS having fewer issues with international dates.

Anyways. If pro/rel ever were to happen (which I find doubtful), this would be the ideal top tier to me.

9. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't bad. I'm sure Seattle and Portland would prefer to be matched up as "rivals" but i suppose there isn't much difference between two games and three.
    I would guess that New England would prefer to be matched up with one of the New York teams. Wonder how much pull Kraft has these days.

10. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    20 team league format? It's not brain surgery.

single table
    league champ is team with most points at the end of season.
    MLS cup- top 12 in post season cup tournmanent that is seperate from regular season.

11. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We'd have to have WAY deeper, bigger, scarier rosters to handle that kind of congestion. That, or every bit of side silverware is going to get quickly forgotten, like CCL or the Open Cup. Neither of which are things we want to see.

12. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    considering the single table format is used by 99% of the countries that have football leagues your concerns are pretty much malarkey.

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    My concerns I just voiced have nothing to do with problems with single table. It's all an issue of fixture congestion and travel. And especially roster size. Please try again.

14. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I don't see a problem with fixture congestion (anymore than exists now) but if you do then feel free to expand on that.

As far as travel goes have you actually crunched the numbers? There's not a huge mileage difference between balanced and unbalanced. Not enough anyway that such a drastic league schedule should be implemented. There are only 18 league road games and with smart scheduling (road trips for clubs going east to west and vice versa) you could manage a balanced schedule very easily.

15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Well, if we play an English-length season and then add on that additional month+ of playoffs after that, we'd be looking at an 11 month season rather than the current 9 month one we use. Does that not seem like... a lot?

16. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012

i never suggested playing an English length season.

17. hasselbrad

hasselbrad Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Sugar Hill, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O How else do you propose playing a 38 game balanced schedule?

18. The Green Mushroom

Oct 19, 2011
    Someone in another thread suggested that MLS' current schedule is peanuts compared to the NHL's 82 games or the 162 game baseball marathon. If we assume that we are all wrong about the turnaround time needed between soccer games, why not play all 38 games in July and August.

dinamo_zagreb repped this.
  19. Cosmo_Kid

Cosmo_Kid Member

Jul 17, 2012
    England has a longer season because the amount of European club games.

20. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    But you don't see how playing a 38 game season followed by a month-long playoff would be VERY LONG?

21. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the U.S. should drop the CONCACAF tourney and the Open Cup???

22. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They're already playing a 34-game regular season. You only need to add four midweek games - say, on a Tuesday night, once per month - and you've fixed your problem.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Except for the costs incurred to open stadiums for low attendance. Not to mention finding 4 weeks that aren't taken up by USOC CCL, Canadian Championship, the ASG, and international weeks. All for what, so a few soccer fans can feel better about the "real" champion? What are you gaining?

hasselbrad repped this.
  24. chapka

chapka Member+

May 18, 2004
    Haverford, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't updated this in a year or two, but it should still be workable. It's the 2013-14 MLS Schedule Challenge:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As10j-DGAGHzdGs1ZUJvZ0lnN05XOElubERzZnlaVFE&usp=sharing

The Challenge is simple. If you think it's so easy to fit four more midweek games into the MLS schedule...knock yourself out. Fill in the fixtures. Don't forget to leave enough midweek dates for the U.S. Open Cup, Champions League, and of course the World Cup.

hasselbrad repped this.
  25. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If only it were that simple. And in some years, it would be.

But with the Open Cup, you're basically taking late May and some of June out of play, and in years where there is a Gold Cup or Qualifiers, yeah, you're already probably up against it.

We can't have an MLS that stands down for FIFA dates and increase the number of fixtures and have an Open Cup and a Champions League and do everything, not just with the roster numbers teams have, but with the sheer number of days in the calendar that are conducive to selling tickets.

hasselbrad and JasonMa repped this.