"2 young Americans" - Let the speculation begin

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kokoplus10, Dec 13, 2011.

1. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Houston owes us a favor for Hunter Freeman regarding rights as it is. If there is a gray area we would probably get them to relent because we did them a favor when Freeman came back to the league.

2. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Vincenzo Bernardo? He's young, NJ kid, from the Napoli system, but can't seem to find the right situation. Seems like he would be worth a look.

Gabriel Ferrari was a Metrostars youth before going to Sampdoria. Didn't play much for the Fire last year, would probably play for a min. contract to avoid going to D2.

And here is the long shot...Danny Szetela. Another NJ kid, and he is only 24. Basically threw it all away, but remember only 4 years ago he was being bought by a La Liga club at age 20. I think he could be worth a look as maybe a back up to Dax. He'll probably play for the minimum as well since he doesn't have other options. He would be a low risk high reward signing.

3. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Fwiw, I actually played futsal against Szetela last year. Later on right after that happened he was arrested at some restaurant nearby. From what I remember, he might have retired but I am not quite sure.

4. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Soler's recent comments that he has 2 young Americans basically signed up, I do agree that Vincenzo Bernardo is a likely candidate given he is a midfielder, about 20 to 21 years old and currently plays for the Harrisburg City Islanders. I am not sure on Szetela given he was cut by DC United. I think some of the other player mentioned earlier and currently playing in Europe are more likely and/or better choices.

6. metz

metz Member

Jan 17, 2003
    A favor, what are you talking about, RBNY don't carry out they rights, so they just live Freeman for the next team in the list, if they will pick him and give to Houston the rights they will have some thing to claim, but they didn't and they don't have nothing to expect either from Houston....

7. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't touch Szetela with a 10 foot pole given his fall from grace. I would rather invest in a young player who has their head on straight.

8. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    people said the same thing about Santino Quaranta, but he was able to get his life together and become a decent MLS player.

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately he is the exception to the rule. If you're a GM you have to play the odds most of the time. The only exceptions would be a price you couldn't refuse or if you really truly new the player better than any other franchise did and you were certain he could turn it around.

I have a feeling RB does not know Szetela in this manner. And I'm not sure how low a salary he'd be willing to play for.

10. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has few guaranteed contracts, so in this league you can take a risk. Sign him and if he acts up, then cut him.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And waste a roster spot?

There is a reason he hasn't landed at any other clubs. Again, unless Red Bull know something about his situation that none of us do I say stay away from him.

12. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clubs now get 30 player rosters, which some do not fill. Bring the kid on trial, if he is fit then offer a minimum non guaranteed contract, and if he acts up then cut him. Make your decision before July and just pick someone else up when the transfer window opens up. It is a very low risk and high reward situation. If he is crap then you get a new player mid-season, but if he returns to form then you get a good player for a low salary.

13. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless they have better players they want to spend their time looking at for a trial.

Time is money. You pick your best targets to come in and "trial".

The guy has never made a mark for his club team. Ever. He had one good tournament for the U-20's. Lots of guys had a good tournament for the U-20's who are now selling insurance.

Injury problems at a young age in 2006 and knee surgery in March of 2010. Hasn't played since.

Again, if I'm running the front office I don't even waste my time with him unless I know for certain that his head is on straight, he's fit enough to get through the trial, and he's looking for a paltry salary.

Just look at EJ. Couldn't even pass the fitness test for Puebla. A complete waste of their time IMO.

14. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://metrofanatic.com/story.jsp?ID=5853

Soler also claims that RBNY is close to signing two Americans with international experience. "No names yet, because we haven't completed all the paperwork," Soler told the Post. "But two are pretty much done, and we may have one more in the group."

THREE americans with international experience? Wow. Please dear God do not let them be Robbie Rogers or Freddy Adu.

Also, I hate waiting on paperwork. :)

15. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quaranta wasnt absent from the game for roughly 3 years..

16. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With this article it doesnt necesarily mention the American is young.. It did before but doesnt here. Gale Agbossoumonde is perhaps one of them. Regardless of if they are young or not I think the other is Dom Cervi..

17. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we have an answer for the identity of at least one of these guys.

It's Jonathan Barrajo.

24 year old fullback who most recently played in Norway. Also a NJ native. Glad to see another need addressed but otherwise don't know much about the guy.

A right back. Maybe we see Solli move into the midfield.

18. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This confirms something I expected. When they said the Americans they were bringing in had "international experience" this means they played abroad, not that they played for the US national team set up.

Anyway, seems like just squad depth. Borrajo was a 2nd division player in the US, and then a 2nd division player in Norway. I have no higher expectations of him than I do Connor Lade. Not that I oppose the signing, I don't. Our poor showing in the US Open Cup and the Reserve league showed that we need better scrubs.

19. jcr3

jcr3 Member

Mar 17, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barrajo looks much more ready to start than Connor Lade. Huge difference. He was a major player on his team that got promoted to 2nd division in Norway and also was the star player of his USL team. I am not talking DP here nor even close, but definitely a player who they expect to contribute and in the words of Soler to compete for a starting spot. This would not even be mentioned on Lade who they probably hope will develop to a contributor over the next couple of years. Did you see the clips of Barrajo, he looks pretty good.

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. By resume alone:

Barrajo:

College - George Mason University: Named to the All-CAA and All-CAA Tournament team as a senior in 2008. He received the Fred Thompson MVP in 2007 and the Dennis Hamlet Defensive Player of the Year in 2007 and 2008, as well as captaining the team his sophomore thru senior years and leading them to an CAA Championship and a NCAA final tournament appearance in his last season.

USL - Real Maryland: Despite being a rookie, Borrajo was named team captain and the only Monarchs player to appear in every minute of the 2009 season, and he was subsequently named to the 2009 USL Second Division All League First Team.

Norway - Borrajo played every game for HamKam at right-back since he debuted 8/21/2010. In his first season in Norway Borrajo helped his club gain promotion. Borrajo returned to HamKam for the 2011 season.In his second season with HamKam Borrajo helped the club to a 6th place finish as he started in 27 matches.

Lade has some great college honors, but no pro experience. While Lade may have more upside Borrajo has more seasoning and experience which will give him a huge edge as someone who can help the team win now.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Lade to be more of a reserve player while Borrajo fills in more like Keel.

21. 4door

4door Member+

Mar 7, 2006
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow D2 Finland. Maybe they are really high on Meara.