2/10, DMB: Man City @ Portsmouth {R}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by babytiger2001, Feb 10, 2007.

1. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't need to come hime, Citeh need to rid of Pearce. He tenure has been nothing short of ************.Players do take a big portion of the blame but Pearce shows his inexperience in his line-ups and substitutions. He doesn't know when to make a change or leave player on. If it's frustrating to me, I can only imagine what Citeh fans feel.

2. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    By comparison, Pompey looked quite classy, especially up until Mendes's injury.

As the announcer said, they're a passing side .... hope the Hardworking Bob takes a look at that.

3. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yet another City game where I'm left wondering exactly how low Joey Barton's IQ really is.

Unfortunately, Beasley's best moments for City have come from him taking advantage of mistakes rather than working well with the offense (and he did make a nice defensive play late in this game). For all his speed he rarely seems to be in position to receive the ball.

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

you mean City have an offense to work with?

5. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah. Good point. I doubt if even Fred Astaire would have looked good had he been dancing with Rosanne Barr instead of Ginger Rogers.

6. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, Beasley was ignored by his teammates today. OTOH, it looks like the only tactic in his book is the "Cobi Jones speed move®".

7. Willy23

Willy23 Member

Dec 11, 2006
    Connecticut
    wow, i checked in when beasley first came on
    and people were talking about him securing a starting spot.

I come back a few hours later and people are telling him to go home to the MLS.
    another day on the big soccer forum.:(

8. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Haha I love it when the Beasley haters come on. Beasley could score in nine straight games and then have a bad one and the Beasley haters will be hitting refresh every 2 seconds.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Beasley could score in nine straight games?????

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

I am not telling him to goto MLS as a criticism. I am telling him that because I think MLS is a better level of soccer than Manchester City. It does him absolutely no good to stay at City. Probably hurts him.

11. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

If he did there would people still be hating him

12. CescMate

CescMate New Member

Oct 2, 2006
    While I think a change of coach would be good for Citeh, I don't believe it is an excuse for a below par Beasley. At times his teammates just didn't have the confidence in him to get him the ball and when he did get the ball he didn't seem to have the confidence to show any forward ambition. Bearing in mind this is a loan spell he has to start proving what he is capable of because he doesn't look to have adjusted to the team.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Oh, the pain. I'm in Man City pain. It is killing me all this EPL maisma flowing from my Tele ... oh, shoot me now, Doc. Just stop the paaaaaiiin.

If only I could play for Real Salt Lake, well then I could be a contender!

I. Yi. Yi. Sturm meets Drang.

It is certainly not top of the pops to be stuck on a listing midtable side with no fear of demotion and no hope of Europe in any league, but how in the world would it be better for Beasely to be sitting around Kansas City or Salt Lake or shopping for an loft on Queen than actually playing soccer at the moment. I mean, MLS isn't even in season.

Oh the drama. Funny how much Man City miss a calming, sponge-Claudio square pants type in the midfield. I think Pearce has some idea of them as a run and gun team, and they bring the run, but left the gun in the safe.

14. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    first you tell me what gain he's getting from this experience with City

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I would say "first" he's doing exactly what he freakin' wants to do, that's first. Perhaps you can tell me how kickin' it in Gary or strolling through the Del Amo mall or whatever he might be doing at the moment is better than getting on a field and having to try and make something happen?

Right now he is playing a decent amount of soccer, having to fight for a spot, getting seen by other EPL teams and training full bore, none of which he would be doing in MLS.

Now, if you want to argue specifically that DaBease does really well under Arena and would benefit from someone like Reyna finding him in space and giving him room to run - ok, perhaps that's worth a listen. Or that he would really do well to be part of building a team under MoJo where he could be a seasoned vetern and not some guy trying to make the team - fine. But the generic "he needs to be in MLS" when it is OFF SEASON and he could just as easily end up on a stinky joke of a team as anything is just silly unless you believe that Bease's personal psychological make-up is totally not prepared for non-MLS soccer and living conditions, which is entirely possible.

Now maybe "first" you will tell me what another year of MLS will do for Bease that the other MLS years didn't.

16. green94

green94 Member

Jan 1, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What would he gain being contracted by an MLS team not playing because its the OFF SEASON! He plays against higher quality opponets (for the time he's in anyway) and you'd have to think Pearce is at least a little better than Ellenger in RSL.

17. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    he's not playing as well now, as compared to a few years ago when he first got to PSV. With MLS he regains confidence, and he re-teaches himself how to playing attacking soccer. Something he seems to have misplaced in his time in Europe.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

so you would theorize that you could stick an A-League team in the Prem and all the players would get better?

19. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He likely should have been in the box on the second goal but he would have likely been outside of Kanu. Kanu was marked and then when Johnson beat his man that guy stepped off Kanu and went to Johnson who promptly laid it off. I also think he was supposed to stay as high up the field as possible.

While Beasley didn't come in and take the game over it is hard to judge him when he sees the ball so seldom and rarely is it played to him with any control. Pearce, as an ex-defender, always errs on the conservative side to start games. He had Ireland wide left and it simply didn't work.

20. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago

I agree. The spot on the left is there for the taking is Beasley decided he wants it. On the other hand, I wish Pearce would give him 5 straight games with a settled line-up that can gel together on the field.

PS - how bad is England that Joey Barton rates a call-up? He should have seen red today.

21. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Were you on here saying that DMB should go back to MLS after he started last game? Were you on here saying DMB should go back to MLS after he scored against West Ham? Were you on here saying DMB should go back to MLS after he delivered in the FA Cup? Are you on here saying DMB should go back to MLS after he plays a good game or only a bad game? Because I don't know what the guy can do then if even after good games you are telling him he needs to go back to MLS.

Let me ask you something, why shouldn't Convey go back to MLS? (Not bashing Convey here, he is one of my favs but trying to be fair). DMB has had a much more productive season in Europe this season than Convey has. Before you go saying Convey has been injured, so has DMB. So was DMB for the past year and a half, but Convey gets a break because of his solid season last year in the coloship? Where as DMB doesn't get a break for having the best performance of a YA attacking player ever in his first season at PSV? Convey was not playing well before his injury, DMB was not playing well before his injury. Now since Convey is having difficulty breaking back into the Reading side because of Hunt's play, why doesn't he go back to MLS? Because that is basically your a point. Note: trying to be fair here, not trying to bash Bobby.

Why is it that after two particular YA's games, DaMarcus Beasley and Tim Howard, when they play poorly that both of them should go back to MLS? Someone help me out here because I am having trouble with why Beasley and Howard should come back to MLS when they have bad games but when they have good games, either those same people criticizing them are absent or still think they should come back? Just doesn't make sense to me.

22. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DMB is in better form , he just doesn't have the chemistry with the team yet. They need to start him for like 5 games in a row to see what he can really do. As it is, therer were many times that he was in a dangerous position and WIDE OPEN and they didn't pass him the ball. It's like his teammates don't trust him. (kind've like how at DC they would play keep away from Adu)

It's the same lack of respect for the American players, who is this Ireland kid who did nothing? DMB is a type of player that can disorient a team and throw their shape off, but how many times do you make unrewarded runs before you just get frustrated? The chemistry problem is a real issue from watching the game.

The second goal is a perfect example. Beaz seems to be going to his position expecting someone to cover the area? The Leftback? Nobody fills the void, so 2 players get in free on the goal? This is a chemistry and lack of playing time issue. Obviously someone was supposed to cover but didn't , but who? I would say it's Beaz's fault but when are they going to let him start and earn his position? He has had good results when he's played so what gives?

The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think if our players can't get starting minutes on their squads they're better off playing at home in the MLS. We need good players in our league too. I'm also starting to see the BS of these European leagues, like Leverkeuson (spelling?) making Donovan ride pine. Donovan is one of the most technically skilled, fast, and dangerous soccer players and Leverkeuson wanted him to ride pine? After the 2002 WC? After being the best American player ? Donovan was right! I'm glad he came home. Maybe the Beaz should come home too. What exactly is going to improve now that he's a seasoned player. He is what he is, bring him home. I'd start him on my team any time.

Blue

PS. He skipped the Mexico game for 25 minutes? F'ing BS..To start Ireland? One F'ing cap? 20 years old? Then they wonder why they lose? NO respect...

23. ayers

ayers Member

Jul 9, 2002
    somewhere
    I started watching about 15 seconds before Beasley went in. And I only noticed him for the 3 seconds when the substitution was made. He went in and simply disappeared. Man City offense was a complete mess. They were running around without purpose (when they did run). And Beasley wasn't helping.

Other than possibly having his confidence back by facing slower and less experienced defenders, what else would Beasley gain from coming back to MLS? Would that help him overcome some shortcomings in his game? Would that help him improve tactically so that he can bring his game to a better level? Is that what he wants to do? He had his limitations and he still has his limitations. I don't think changing leagues is the automatic cure for them.

Please refer to last week's Reading thread. Appoo did tell Convey to come home. :)

24. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Wow then the dude has a problem.

25. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A heck of a lot more than Cooper, Howard, Kirovski, Spector got on average from their ManU experiences over the last few years COMBINED.....

How is that for hyperbole?....I mean: after reading your posts throughout this thread and knowing for a fact you are a MAnU supporter who just might have a tiny bit of bias (shocker, i know!) against ManCity.....sorry, i jut felt i had to say something outrageous, especially after the "MLS better than ManCity" bit..that one has to take the prize...

And this comes from someone who usually appreciates your contributions on BS...even as many others find them controversial......