1906 Ultras in local articles, clips and pictures

Discussion in 'San Jose Supporters Clubs' started by San Jose Ultras, Feb 28, 2008.

1. San Jose Ultras

San Jose Ultras New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Richmond, CA
    http://www.thebaysoccer.com/sjpre2.html#1906ultras

San Francisco, Sunday Feb. 17, 2008

"One minute of applause for what you've done, then you'll be forgotten and forever gone"

[​IMG]It is with these words written on a giant banner that the 1906 Ultras welcomed the Houston Dynamo yesterday night at Kezar Stadium.

According to Napoleon, a member of the group, the line was in reference to the fact that, even after moving to Houston, the former Earthquakes (now Dynamo) remained appreciated and loved by the San Jose fans. In 2006, the Ultras even went to LA to support the Dynamo against the Galaxy!

With the new Earthquakes in San Jose, the fans needed to make it clear that this period is over. They are now fully commited to San Jose and the Dynamo is just a opponent as any other MLS team.

[​IMG]"A new rivalry may even start", Nap. stated "and this will probably last until the last former Earthquake player leaves Houston."

Indeed, unlike Ryan Cochran who moved back to San Jose, a lot of former Quakes are still part of the Dynamo's roster.

A few hours before Saturday's match, we met the 1906 Ultras on the grass area between Kezar stadium and Golden Gate Park, busy painting their banners.

Yesterday was a very special night for the Ultras, with a high level of emotion, for at least 3 reasons: the match was at Kezar stadium where some members of the group used to support the California Victory last year; Yuri Morales (former Vic.) started the math and didn't forget to thank his long term fans; the first minute of applause was the last one adressed to the Dynamo.

For those reasons, we thought we had to help you discover who they are. Tony and Dan, two leaders of the group, accepted to answer a few questions to help us understand who they are.

- Tony, Dan, Your energy has already been noticed during the first pre-season match in San Jose, How did you manage to keep the group together during those 2 1/2 years without the Earthquakes?

"We are actually the result of the merging of two groups: the Ultras, long-term supporters of the SJE and the 1906 (refering to the year of the big Earthquake) who supported the California Victory last year. We all kept in touch, mostly through the Internet.

- How many members do you have?

"50 already and we keep growing. We will reach 200 before the end of the first season."

- How are you going to support the team?

"We want to bring the European Ultra's Culture to San Jose. Dan is Romanian and a former fan of Steaua Bucarest. He's bringing us his experience but we are all hardcore fans. Anyway, look at and listen to us tonight, you'll make your own opinion!"

- One last question: what are your relationships with other SJE supporters groups?

"There's only one, The Casbah...They are family friendly, we are not. again, we are hardcore fans and if you are at Kezar tonight, you will see what it means!"

[​IMG]So, what did we see during the match?

We saw, and mostly heard, a very determined group of supporters singing to encourage their team, insulting to impress the opponent, jumping to remain warm in this cold evening, and creating the atmosphere all along the 90 minutes. Their goal is obviously not to be politicaly correct, but their support will probably be precious to the SJE!

Want to know more about 1906 Ultras? www.sjultras.com

Story and Interview by T.H.
    Photos: Nap - The Project

2. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read that today and you beat me to posting it Dan. Good work by all that night and its nice we got a little notice. If we keep it up that should be the first of many. :D

3. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Rad stuff. Thanks for posting.

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No prob! ;) There were just so much that had to be given its own page. I had a lot of good luck where the camera didn't conk out--I had that issue at the USA-Sweden game and the San Jose tilt against the Oranje.

Still, keep it rolling--the place can rival the "Den" in Toronto and the "Texian Army/El Battalion" in Houston! Make it the Raiders version of "The Black Hole" except it's a Giant Blue Pit! Now, if only the Diva(s) can make an appearance--it's full throttle from then on out!

90 minutes of intensity!

5. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    Awesome work guys. I cant wait till august.. im 4 sho catching a game when I take leave.

6. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN

Cool dude so where are you stationed ?

7. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    Lovely Camp Casey South Korea. Imma try to make it for the Aug. 3 game against the Gals in Oakland.

8. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN

Oh boy isn't it cold out there right now ? well anyhow hope you can make it out here dude to that match cause I'm very sure that it will be a thriller :D if you know what I mean :p

9. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    I think were passed the worst of it (fingers crossed). At least its in the teens, and 20s now for morning PT. PT in single digit weather sucks ass. I was expecting more snow though. It only snowed about 5 or so times. As a native Californian I was thinking winter wonderland when I found out I was going to Korea. But aside from the few times it snowed it was just cold. The sun would be out but it would still be freezing cold, being born and raised in the central valley that was a tough concept to get used too. Sometimes theres wind too, which makes it even suckier. I mean we wear layers, but when your at the range or in the field and you cant feel your face, then I would call my parents back in modesto and hear them say Yeah its been cold here it went all the way down to the 40s! all I could do is say You know what I would give for it to be in the 40s?!!

10. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    Wow dude ! ! ! yeah I've heard that it really get's stone cold out there in Korea, I was in Okinawa back in 87' but I didn't get to go to Mount Fuji when the whole batallion had a nature walk up that hill. I heard some stories which made me feel lucky that I stayed back in the rear :eek: Well hope you can make it to the match comrade I guess you're in the Army am I correct ?

11. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    Yup. Its good times over here though, aside from the usual military BS. (Curfew, weekend formations cuz some jackasses get arrested for violating said curfew etc.)

12. TheQuakesRockMySocks

Dec 20, 2007
    BlogVille, CA
    Great story. Let's set up an away game PubCrawl in Sacramento, and the Sac guys can get in with the Ultras! Beers anyone?

PM me if you think we could do this. I have the contacts here. Holler!

13. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN

Hey what's up with that ? are you guys still in with the 1906 Ultras or what dude ? haven't heard much about you guys out there anymore. :confused:

14. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    are you a grunt dude .......... maaaan then you must experience some interesting psycho games out there then huhh :D hang in there dude it's all done for a good reason. Yeah them curfews stink I know how you feel about that, when we were overseas us Marines couldn't hang out at the e-club at the airforce base cause they'd cause fights so we were curfewed and banned from their place :rolleyes: friggin troublemakers ! Well if you come out to this game vs the scum hangout with us dude. Good luck in Korea bro ! !

15. Paynal

Paynal New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    Camp Casey SK
    No grunt, Im a mechanic (support leads the way!). By psycho games games you mean the K League? Cuz they havent started up yet. But I intend to catch a few of those when the season starts up again. I would have went to the FC Seoul vs Galaxy game but we were restricted to post because of those curfew violations. I feel you on the chair force they always got the nice stuff. But yeah I have to get back with 1906, man Im one of the founding members back to when we were the Kezar Boozers! And before that even, ask Tony, or Napoleon. Speaking of the old guard wheres Alexi?

16. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel

17. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's right man I think the original posts about forming a supporters group were me, you, Alexi, and Mike. Man that was a lot of beer ago :D

18. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    I came into knowledge about Victory about the 200 post mark or something. You guys were already debating Kezar Boozers vs. 1906 Legion.

19. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Here, here.
    Being very busy these days...

20. San Jose Ultras

San Jose Ultras New Member

Jul 18, 2007
    Richmond, CA
    Hand made, 2 people, 10 hours[​IMG]