11/12 CCL: Group C (UNAM, Tauro, Dallas, Toronto) [R]

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by Nico Limmat, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

lol thats pretty good, good game for dallas and unam as they did play with mostly there b team and for the most part did well. Either way great win for dallas

2. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said elsewhere, I hope this means we'll see a first-choice lineup in Dallas. Maybe they end up crushing us (though I think it would be close), but that's ok...at least we'd see their best and there would be no excuses.

3. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that is a step that MLS has been taking the past 2 years, before FMF teams felt that their backups were good enough to beat most Concacaf teams (non-Mexican), as Concacaf teams get better the Mexican teams will need to realize that their back ups are not good enough and will use their starters, even if that means them crushing all opposition, that is still progress and a gain in respect. IMO

Then again PUMAS may not really care about advancing past the group, to them perhaps allowing their young players to play an extra 6 games against international competition.

I do would like to know what the media is saying about them being the first team to lose a home gate to an MLS team.

4. efraim

efraim Member

Jul 24, 2009
    Coyoacán
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mmm actually the mexican media couldn't care less about it in this moment, because theyre focused on the u-20 world cup elimination :(. And theyre probably gonna be focused on the 3rd spot game these few days.

I watched the last 5 minutes of the game, and the ESPN comentators were actually talking about how bad and boring the game was for both teams.

Also, most of my friends that support pumas didn't know about the game, and some of them, after they heard of the result (they never realized that pumas is the first mexican team to lose to a MLS side in Mexico) just said that pumas should keep playing all the games with the youngsters, because its a way to give them experience when theyre needed for league games.

5. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a bummer about the U20 elimination. I was pulling for El Tri there.

I have to say I'm a bit surprised that Pumas or other FMF fans wouldn't even know about the game. Was it not advertised at all? I know it was on tv there because I watched the Mexican ESPN feed online.

6. dtid

dtid Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That is the reality check here. FC Dallas is top two/three in MLS not just with their first team, but also with their youth development.

But FCD's "u-23 team" would get slautered by that team.

MLS' first teams (1-13 or 14) can hang and some are even better than some Mexico teams, but after that, it is a ****ing cliff.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The group phase for Mexican teams has been so "automatic" that my friends down here don't pay attention until the knockout stages. Kind of like how a Chelsea fan doesn't really get all that excited about playing a Slovenian or Bulgarian team in the Champions League.

FCD has all the makings of being a very strong team in this competition.

What FCD has done is put themselves in the driver's seat to advance. With this result Pumas will simply have to use stronger lineups in some of the remaining games........but they'll probably still pull thru. They just have less margin for error now. Their next game at Tauro is critical for them.

MLS teams so far in the competition are 4-0-0, with TFC playing tonight.

8. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, that makes sense.

9. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    2-1 win for TFC tonight. Johnson and De Guzman for Toronto, Moreno for Tauro.

10. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If either of us takes all 3 pts in next weeks game, that team's chances of going through will already be very, very good.

11. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. If Tauro is so bad that they can't manage a point (which, considering that Toronto beat them at home last night, isn't a wild assumption to make), then we could have this situation. I'd probably drop a couple 'very's off your statement unless Tauro can come up with something against Pumas or Dallas.

12. vichuck

vichuck Member

Jul 25, 2008
    New Braunfels
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, perhaps the "very, very" should be reserved for us because if we win at BMO we'd have 6 pts from the 2 toughest road games.

13. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone want to bet Dallas will win, 1-0?;)

14. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    That would make sense. If Dallas gets 6 on the road ... with another 6 available from the weakest team, and another 6 available from teams it has beaten on the road ... then I think they are through. If Toronto wins, then there's only another 3 points available to us that we should get (Tauro at home). On the other hand, last year we did get 4 points from the Mexican team ... not that it got us through ... and I doubt Winter would play the 4-6-0 (or was it a 10-0-0) line-up that Dasovic had the balls to play in Mexico.

15. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    like who?

and better than who?

16. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    apparently they dont even know. On espn they are saying that its only the first win in this format. They think that MLS teams have won in Mexico before in the old CCC format.....Espn are morons.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dudes in jorge ramos (not mexican media 4 sure) were saying first usa win since 1938 or something like that, I sent a twitter to the del valle kid to correct him about being 1963, but they did not reply.

18. dtid

dtid Member

Sep 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Ask Los Rayados...

Hey, you asked.

19. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    TFC - FC Dallas game suspended. Almost certainly since most of Southern Ontario has spent most of the afternoon under Tornado Warnings. Definitely have to take those seriously since my hometown of Goderich was flattened by a Tornado on Sunday. Bit of a miracle only one person died.

20. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    Finally called it about 11:20 pm (after evacuating the stadium at 10 pm). Hard to believe I can still here thunder rumbing now ... over 4 hours after we started to see flashes in the stadium.

Replay at 10:15 AM tomorrow!

21. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was in Goderich on Monday. So sad to see the destruction. All those century trees and all those century buildings. Yes, it was a miracle that there weren't more deaths.

The lightning at BMO was extreme and it just kept going and going. Eventually the crowd was told to, and I quote, "Evacuate".

[​IMG]

22. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    It's still going ... no where near as intense (I don't think I've ever seen lightening that intense ... all the strikes on the CN Tower were surreal). but it's still rumbling away ...

23. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It'll take 200-300 years to replace the trees and many of the buildings around the downtown core are Victorian buildings that are actually from the Victorian era.

Seeing buildings that withstood 150 years gale-force winds off the lake reduced to rubble in 12 seconds (the estimated time the tornado was on the ground in Goderich) is quite frankly emotionally draining.

Apparently there are plans afoot to restore the downtown to it's Victorian charm though.

24. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    When CONCACAF moved the CCL schedule to appease MLS, I grumbled that we'd see lots of postponements because most games are now played played iin the Central American rainy season. Boy, was I wrong. Of the four CCL games that have been postponed because of weather since 2008, only one was in Central America.

25. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek::D

1 person likes this.