10 richest american soccer owners-our own dollar menu not on list

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Fanaddict, Apr 20, 2014.

1. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would mean the strategy worked and Toyota Park is selling out.

I doubt the competence of this organization to pull that off.

That may happen in Kansas City or Portland as demand out grows supply and the die hards get priced out, but I don't see that at TP in the short to medium run.

But hey, that would at least be a plan.

2. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because signing Ronaldinho would bring any soccer fans or sell any of those ugly jerseys.

3. those people are already in the process of killing vocal support in section 8 if you have not noticed

thnkucomeagain, loonixxx and bunge repped this.
  4. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As I've said before I would rather be "Kings of the Cup" than loveable losers.

And I still stand by the opinion that winning consistently can solve a lot of problems.

5. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    And what we saw during the Blanco years was that winning consistently hid a lot of problems.

6. lncolnpk

lncolnpk Member+

Mar 5, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because he taking that tack doesn't mean he can execute it.

Damn it's tack not tact.

7. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The concept your forgetting is the opportunity cost of money. Nobody will pay $20 million today for a $20 million dollar return in three years. They could be getting a compounding 10% return in the market. That backwards valuation would be about $15 million. Then you would have some negative valuation for the risk that the return may not happen (certainly a lower risk than a few years ago). So Hauptman maybe would only gets $12, 13, or 14 million in this scenario. That's not even factoring in all the negativity around the club as negative goodwill. This club is at it's lowest low. Everyone knows you always sell high.

8. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I didn't forget that. If you look at my post on this, I gave a simple example. The club is worth 50. 20 in expansion fees over the next few years. That would be 70. I said he could sell for 65 now.

9. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sorry, must have missed that. But, seeing how his other investments have been on the level of "Thunderpants," I don't think Andrew would trust himself to earn his money any other way than through the work of others, i.e. taking expansion paychecks and letting Toronto and Seattle grow the value of his SUM ownership shares. Once that starts to plateau, I have no reason to believe he'll do anything but bail.

xtomx repped this.
  10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This is very well stated.
    Very, very sad, but well stated.

11. splunge63

splunge63 Member+

Mar 30, 2014
    west burbs
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nothing personal, but I agree w/the OP who debunked this. Any party seriously interested in purchasing an MLS franchise is going to have a valuation analysis(es) performed. And the folks doing those analyses will account for the known revenue streams (amongst other things) and adjust accordingly. The idea that Andi is better off waiting for one-time payments (e.g., expansion) is wrong.

At this point, Andi's failure is close to complete. I hope he turns it around, but see no evidence. Consequently, I hope he's not in love w/his investment, doesn't fancy himself as a soccer club owner and reaps his large gain soon. Sadly, I think he like being an owner. Ugh.

LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  12. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This would be the worst case scenario. He sees how much money he will make any facies himself a saavy club owner.

"I'm good at this ownership thing. I only paid $50 million they're writing me checks for $17 million for expansion 'dividends' all the time. And, the value of my investment has also increased. This is WAY better than making crappy movies!"