$10 a month

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Rorysm, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregX

GregX New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the shortened shows were usually due to Sirius schedules, so I wouldn't think you'd see more of that. $10/month is going to be a stretch for me believe it or not (I have some rather expensive hobbies), but I'm willing to give up the Starbucks for this. It boils down to .25 per hour which sounds like a deal to me. It won't to some and fair play to them. I'll be in though.

2. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Great post!

People do not pay money to listen to one radio show, especially if it's not on live.

I can't justify paying 10 dollars for a podcast when I'm not spending 15 bucks for actual live games on Setanta.

I understand that they need the money to produce their show and to make a profit, but Cohen is making us, the audience, lie in the bed that Cohen made. That logic is total bs.

3. Steebo72

Steebo72 New Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Bhb pretty much hit the nail on the head.

4. Tybio

Tybio New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So is the logic that Steven is making you do anything at all :)

5. Tybio

Tybio New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two Tiers BTW, $9.95 and $6.95.

Remember gents, they are putting this all togeather...it was obviously not pre-planned or they would have had everything in place to do this. So try to see how things develop before before coming to conclusions about anything, I'm sure more details will be coming out over the next week or two.

6. DaeHaMinGuk

DaeHaMinGuk Member

Jun 11, 2003
    Tha dirty Souf Korea
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    haha true. I'll be moving to Korea in 2 weeks so I will probably give in since I won't be seeing much soccer coverage in English.

7. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like how everyone reasons it down to: Just quit spending (X) on item (Y) every month. But unless WSD starts putting a vending machine in my break room at lunch for the 50 cents a day I can't do it. Sorry, i don't like paying for stuff on credit cards or whatever. Plus, I don't spend a single dollar on starbucks or anything else you mention right now. I live by a budget and I really, really can't break that budget like that.

In case you're forgetting... it's $120 a year we're talking about here... maybe I can just get a half year subscription for Christmas from a family member or something... but for now, I just don't see paying for it.

And that Youstream or whatever it was called was HORRIBLE. I can't stand watching people sit in a room talking on a mic. So annoying.

8. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny thing is, if the craziness hadn't happened and say, last May WSD announced they were going to start charging for podcasts we'd all be up in arms and hating on them now for selling out or being money-grubbing WH##es. Funny world, huh?

I guess I'll get to cut down on my podcasts and just listen to the world football phone in or whatever it is on the BBC (with all the guests I love anyway) and that Football Pub show (with the guy that sounds like the fat kid from superbad). At least there are some decent blogs out there to read to keep up on the news.

9. futbolista918

futbolista918 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Fan:SerieA,ItalyUSNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Believe what you want. I'll believe what looks clear to me. I'm sorry, but you don't pull the plug on Sirius, sponsors, network, listeners, etc overnight, and you don't then come up with a new show, idea, business planan, financial structure, etc overnight as they claim they did

10. futbolista918

futbolista918 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Fan:SerieA,ItalyUSNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, that logic is terrible. Maybe the guys should have remembered that plenty of the listeners came from Sirius, and if anyone who subscribes to Sirius/XM is smart, they got customer service to offer them the service for $6-8 a month. That's for sports, entertainment, comedy and a ton of music, etc many with no commercials. Now there's word of Sirius having a new soccer show in their slot...might not be the best decision for Cohen and co imo

11. Tybio

Tybio New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure you do if your partners are going to take it over.........I warned people we didn't have all the information here. I have no idea what to make of new events, but it is clear there is a LOT going on that we don't know about. I'm going to maintain my wait and see attitude on this, but it would be nice if someone from ether show would put out some information on the situation.

Just a dumb request from a WSD fan I suppose. Oh, wait, do I have to say "Old WSD" fan now? I mean, I'll give the new one a shot, but I can hardly be a fan of something I've no clue about.

12. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    It's interesting listening to today's podcast and for the first time wondering "is this product worth paying for?"

Based on the first edition, looks like they may still have 20-30 minutes of commericals, both pre-recorded and live plugs. I don't think you'll see the "sponsorship" aspect go away.

13. stagnant

stagnant Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    They're in big trouble if the "new" WSD is podcasted for free and just as entertaining, not to mention if they maintain the high profile guests.

14. cbrown89

cbrown89 New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    GEBER'S BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

World Soccer Daily
    Click on the Schedule tab for exact program times
    Nick Geber and Keith Costigan bring their unique humor to the world's game with a world point of view. From Europe to Africa to South America; to The Premiership, Serie A, La Liga, Champions League, the World Cup and Copa Libertadores, you'll get the day's breaking stories from the most globalized football show on the planet.

Third Listing.http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=Channel&cid=1104779628701&s=prog

Geber for free or pay for Cohen. It's not even a choice.:D

15. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to burst your bubble, but that's just a rumor right now, there's been no official announcement.

16. cbrown89

cbrown89 New Member

Jun 23, 2009

So Sirius/XM just put stuff up on their website with no forethought.

Whatever you say Woody.:rolleyes:

17. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why isn't Sirius channel 125 available with the SiriusXM App for the iphone?

RC

18. Tybio

Tybio New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could be something called leading the witness :). I'm excited about the possibility of two shows, but with all the twists and turns in this series of events...I'll be waiting for something a bit more solid then changing the hosts (and none of the other information in the blub, such as the phone number that WFD is still using).

19. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say there was no forethought. There are several options being considered for WSD, this being one of them. I'm saying there's nothing official. I'd like to see that happen, but there's lots of factors to consider (the timing issue for one, you don't believe they'd both be at the same time, do you?) and until Nick comes out and says "Yup, we're going to commit to this plan and are going forward, here's the details" it's all just speculation.

I'm also trying to be fair to Nick and Keith. If they decide not to do WSD for whatever reason, they'd be getting quite a bit of heat if everyone thinks they will, especially with the possibility of a new WSD being touted by the Cohen haters as a reason to not support WFD. Choosing to support or not support Kenny, Rafa AND Steven's (there is more than one person involved you know) new format is a decision everyone can make for themselves..basing it on an option that may or may not happen is, imho, a bit disingenuous. If people want to wait until something else shows up, very cool. Trying to pit WSD and WFD against each other, very silly.

I like to see this as a sign of the support Sirius has always given the show, and they want to see it continue. Maybe this is how they are telling Nick "dude, do it!" :D

20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it very odd that there is no link on their website about the pay structures, or even where to send money?

I know they were excited to put this plan into motion, but they didn't even have their new email addresses ready, or anything!

I'm still in "wait and see" mode, but I'm actively looking for a different "free" avenue to get my soccer talk.

21. Billyo79

Billyo79 New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First off I'm a big world soccer daily fan. I found the show through sirius back when Nick and Steven were the hosts. I just checked the Sirius web site and they have Geber and Cositgan listed as the new WSD hosts. As much as I like Steven and Kenny I don't know if I would pay $10 a month for WFD if I can get WSD on Sirius with Geber seeing how I already pay for Sirius.

22. cbrown89

cbrown89 New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    IF (and it's a bloody big one at that) there are "several options being considered", your words NOT mine, Then why is it up on Sirius/XM's OFFICIAL website?

Would they happen at the same time-sure, why not? So yes i believe it's a distinct possibility, especially with the Sirius timeslot available and both being 'produced' in the LA area.

Why does it have to be Nick's (or Keith's) word? Sirius wouldn't put it on the website, unless there was something concrete in the works. Sirius know this was never a WSD issue it was a COHEN issue.

I can see Nick filling in for a while and maybe going back to Poker, chances are Keith will be there longer and if not (ie they both go) someone else will pitch a show to Sirius (sans Cohen).

I won't support WFD because #1 Cohen is a bigoted liar in my opinion and #2 to ask for more than what Sirius (100+ channels) costs (me) or what portion of my cable bill is FSC and ESPN (s)-about $1 a month for a single (albeit possibly five days a week) podcast when there is far better out there for FREE is quite frankly (in my opinion) taking the p!ss.

Kenny chose to stick with Cohen, he went from (iirc) trying to get Steven to retract/apologize back in April to... well i'll let you listen to the last WSD podcast. It sounded like he had in my opinion begun "parroting" Steven's lies and his dad was at the Ibrox Disaster in 1971(?) i seem to remember him saying.

Rafa also chose to stay with Cohen-both could have said Steven you've crossed the line and walked.They didn't. Their choice.

I had a chance to go to last Summers Olympics in China, totally free of charge (five star-press pass etc). I chose not to for ethical reasons, same as i got offered a job with a company whose policy's i disagree with (50% pay rise, company car and a slightly better benefits package-in the midst of the recession) i turned that down too. I can happily sleep at night.

Pitting one v the other, i didn't post the Sirius website, i didn't choose the time slot, nor the hosts. again i didn't choose to 'scream' death threats one week, new show the next. Nor did i choose to charge for one or make the other available to everyone who had Sirius AND in all likelihoods FREE in other formats as it used to be.

I'd like to see it as Sirius realizing they have a market, they have a time slot and they'll have no Cohen issues.

IF WSD does continue, as it says on Sirius's website-what's going to happen to all those people who claimed that Liverpool fans stole the only daily 'soccer' show in the USA?

Oh and what about that anti Liverpool Petition currently doing the rounds? You know the one whose first signatory was a certain 'Nick Iannone' (# 1: Aug 14, 2009, Nicholas Iannone, New York http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/support-world-soccer-daily-and-siriusxm ) i'm taking an educated guess that it's the same "Nick Iannone' who admitted that Cohen wrote (at least) the first two begging bowl letters. http://www.gingetalksthefooty.com/2009/06/evidence-cohen-involved-in-writing-of.html Even though it had his name attached to it.:rolleyes:

23. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it won't be going into effect for a least a month, and there are lots of things to iron out first. As I've said, this wasn't planned out in advance.

24. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance to have an anti-Steven rant, I see. It must be so hard to have the man who will bring about the end of the time be the same man who once locked himself in his garage. :D

Because this is one of several options and maybe someone at Sirius jumped the gun? Have you heard Geber say it's happening? Have you some information that I don't? No, you don't. You just want to rant and try to get yet another thread locked.

I hope this show happens, as it's my preference to have both WSD and WFD, but there are issues involved (no, that don't include Steven, sorry) that you do NOT know about, and I'm not going to bring into public..until we see something official from Nick saying "Ok, green lights all around and we're going ahead with it", it's just speculation.

25. DempC

DempC Member

Jul 31, 2007
    A lot to take in...

It would be odd to think that Geber and Cohen have cut ties, but it's possible I guess. Cohen indicated that he and Kenny actually went in on the business (WFD).

I should suspect, however, that Cohen and Geber still have a joint venture together. If WSD comes back sans Cohen, Cohen may still have a business interest in it nonetheless.

If Geber is doing WSD, then that will certainly be problematic for WFD if they are at the same timeslot for certain, maybe even if they are not.

Geber is an entertaining host. With it being free for podcasters and merely the cost of sirius for live listeners, that's really gonna make people pause in paying for WFD.

It's all very odd at the moment and I'm just waiting for everything to be sorted out...which it will.