$10 a month

Discussion in 'World Football Daily' started by Rorysm, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well it looks like I'm out of the WFD pool. Can't pay $10 a month right now.

2. Brian71

Brian71 Member

Sep 2, 2006
    Denver
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    $10 a month will price some people out, to be sure, but I think it's a fair asking price for the show.

What they should do is have a per-show option on iTunes where each show costs $0.99. I'm sure that option would generate additional revenue for the show. The other side of it is that it might hurt the subscription numbers.

Hopefully they get more investors, which would hopefully drive down the cost for listeners.

3. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you charge for ustream watchers? Or would that have to stay free? I could probably swing my work schedule around to watch SOME of the show.

4. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet the show doesn't last long on the new platform. Just don't see how they'll make money from it. If this was starting in the Spring then the build-up to the WC would help, but I think in the long run this is not going to substain itself. Maybe when it fails they'll go back to serius?

5. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    10 bucks is less than Sirius so screw Sirius and sign up for WFD.

6. Rorysm

Rorysm New Member

Aug 12, 2008
    Hidden in a Cave
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was given a Sirius receiver for Xmas and had to return it to the store because the last thing I need now is another bill every month. I use my ten year old ipod to listen to the podcast late every afternoon.

I'm already paying $50 a month for DishNetwork and the extra $10 a month for FSC. I'd drop both if I wasn't in a contract and I only watch FSC and ESPN2 on the system! I guess I'll have to turn to FFF for my caller-driven show now. Ugh... Wynalda.

7. Rainer24

Rainer24 Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, I waste thirty cents a day on stuff I value less than this.

8. yodaisgod

yodaisgod Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't do $10/month unless I drop Setanta which is $14.99/month.

Oh well...

9. ehuntley83

ehuntley83 New Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I can sacrifice a couple coffees each month in order to pick up WFD :D
    No problem...

Honestly, I don't see why there is such outrage over this. I can understand how certain people might be upset if they can't afford the $10, but to be so angered is silly. Life goes on. If you don't like Steven, the price, the new format, whatever - just don't listen. But allow me to enjoy it! :p

10. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I said in another post, I'm sure there will be other options available at launch.

11. Tybio

Tybio New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd pay $20 a month if the breaks had the bikini clad models walking trough the studio!

(Joke...joke people, no hate on being sexist or whatever)

12. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WSD meets Howard Stern, I like it :D

13. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is classic microecon. Seeing that I spend 2.40 a day on sweetened water, I should be able to afford this by just giving up soda for 1 week per month. A unit price for the show like $1.09 per show could allow people to sample the show, with full subscriptions including subscriber features like correspondance with the hosts, pre, post footage and any other subscriber goodies that they can dream up. I think the diferentiators for the show are the pace, the frequency, the guests, and the diverse callers.

14. futbolista918

futbolista918 Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Fan:SerieA,ItalyUSNT
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I listened to WSD every day (if I wasn't at home then I caught it in my car), but I've lost a lot respect for Steven in these past couple of weeks. To use your kids and family as shields to get everyone in a rage against Liverpool and its fans and then say 'oh nm, we're starting a new show you'll have to pay for' is disgusting imo and their actions make a lot more sense to me now as they were looking for the sympathy card to smooth the pay portion over

15. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where have you been if you have been a listener? They have been trying to destroy the show for a long time now and they definitely have been have made life unpleasant for him and for his family. People are not enraged with mob from Liverpool over the last two weeks. Why should he continue to do the show and try to find sponsors with that mob spoiling it for him? No one blames him for pulling the plug -- Guess what, you do not have to do anything. If you want to hear him, it's $10/mo (and probably other payment plans). A Starbucks Grande Latte is $3.26 and I don't hear a lotof complaining paying that a few times a week.

16. Tybio

Tybio New Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See Signature: Post hoc ergo propter hoc

Unless you have something to support your point with other than "They happened in this order..." you are falling victim to a classic error, second only to "Never fight a land war in Asia"....

17. WoodyinCU

WoodyinCU Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Duluth, MN
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Steven never used his family as a shield.

I've been very clear what happened...this was not a planned situation, and if Kenny hadn't convinced him to come back we'd have no show. Anyone who actually knows Steven personally or through the show rather than via heresay realizes this.

I'm sorry if you guys think so little of Steven, but there's nothing I can do about that; I can't see any way to change your minds. If you are going to see black helicopters everywhere, I can't stop that either. At least be honorable enough to walk away if you don't like it.

18. Lebronfeldt

Lebronfeldt New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    I don't get it, Cohen ends WSD because his family is being threatened. Now he is back with WFD and you have to pay. Sounds more like a financial decision.

19. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets rid of much of the unpleasantness which included threatening sponsors.

20. Zitor

Zitor New Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Chicago
    I'd go for $60 a year subscription, like with anybody else in the podcast-mp3. Which is $5 a month. There are other free good shows Jorge Ramos y Su Banda in Spanish 2 hours from ESPN, good global show, too much oriented to Mexican League but they talk enough of MLS, South America and Euro from the latin american players perspective. Add to that World Football Phone in, one a week with Tim Vickery and Sean W., and scratch around for others to save the week. $10 a month big no, $60 a year it "definitly maybe".

21. njndirish

njndirish Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Notre Dame, IN
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question to the Mods or anyone that knows the in and outs of WSD/WFD:
    How many listeners does the show get daily?

22. RMCFkevin

RMCFkevin Member+

Nov 20, 2008
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Quick Question here,

Why didn't they just go back on sirius with under the name World Football Daily?

23. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Best of luck to the guys (I listened 2-3 times per week on podcast) but....

a.) $10 per month is personally $10 per month more than I would pay just to listen to pundits, even the best pundits

b.) the timing of this seems way too fishy to me. After the whole sob story last Friday, they are back in a completely new format 6 days later? Wouldn't the timeline suggest that they had some of the new format details worked out well before they "abruptly" went silent?

C'mon guys, 6 days later?

24. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    So what's going to happen to the podcasts now? I take it they won't be available for download via itunes.

25. FC Arizona

FC Arizona Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    For $10 a month, I'm in! Not so big and ustream, but I'm all about podcasting. I have a 2 unit subscription to Sirius- I'll drop it and still be money ahead.

Regarding Sirius, I noticed the question about "why doesn't Sirius pick up WFD?" I believe WSD had to pay Sirius for the air time and not the other way around. Whether Sirius "dropped" WSD I don't know. But to do Sirius, they would need to continue in the classic advertising mode, which is subject to LFCNY's continuing harrassment.

For now, we're going underground...