1/14/2013, For posterity's sake....

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Jake Folan, Jan 14, 2013.

?

The Crew's Eastern Conference position at the end of the 2013 season?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2013.
  1. 1st

3.4%
  2. 2nd

3.4%
  3. 3rd

3.4%
  4. 4th

15.3%
  5. 5th

15.3%
  6. 6th - Miss the playoffs

23.7%
  7. 7th - Miss the playoffs

16.9%
  8. 8th - Miss the playoffs

16.9%
  9. 9th - Miss the playoffs

1.7%
  10. 10th - Miss the playoffs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think I can agree with you on Rogers. As disappointing as I was with his play since '08, he was actually pretty integral in '08. He and Ale were really the two guys who understood and Guille from the outset.

I'd also put Hammer ~= to Hesmer

I'm looking for places to think we're better individually, because I think I actually agree, that as a whole team we're better on paper.

2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    If Glauber turns out to be an effective MLS centerback he'd be an upgrade. He adds a threat on set pieces and with his Bundesliga resume should be an upgrade. tRR was awesome the first half of 08 when he had 5 of his 6 goals. Then opponents starting playing hack-a-Robbie and his effectiveness diminished. Oduro seems capable of 6 goals. I wouldn't count on 3 or more 10+ goal scorers. Arrieta seems a lock if he stays healthy. Higuain might make it with some PKs. Oduro and Gaven are unlikely to get there from the wings.

3. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robbie did more than score goals, though. Oduro doesn't offer as much in other areas of the game (although it's worth remembering that pre-Warzycha Robbie played little defense).

4. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While 2008 had talent, the championship came from chemistry, karma, magic, whatever. Remember being behind to Chicago in the ECF? I wasn't the least bit worried. There was no way we were going to lose that game.

This group may be good enough to make a run. I'm just thankful the finals aren't in September.

Macgruber repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I missed the vote. I'll say 5th. I love much the new talent the club has brought in, but still have no faith in Robert's ability to make effective use of his roster. Zero.

6. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2008 team wasn't the most talented team in the league, but we had the two things that mattered most: an outstanding full-team work rate and Guille.

My concern with this team is whether or not we have a guy that can will the team to victory like GBS did. There's plenty of talent, but can Higuain carry us when we need it?

7. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really think people forget how much we played long balls in 2008, Ale would work his but off to get between a defender and the ball to draw a foul, then the team would reset and move the team upfield. This honestly seemed like one of the primary game plans, especially early in the season (and it was the favorite mode of everyone's new favorite boy Evans who constantly just pointed upfield when our D had the ball). That being said, they we're playing beautifully by the end of the season, and that MLSCup game was a true joy to behold. But Guille did carry that team through the slog of the first 3/4 of the season, I don't know if Higs can do the same.

8. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As excited as I am about this season, and as good as the roster is looking, and as well as our benchers are playing at the moment, I am grounded by one fact. I was in a conversation with a prominent employee of the club, and he said, "we're stacked." He went on to say that the only thing that should hold this club back is player management. That started off a whole other conversation regarding that being one of Bob's major weaknesses which he agreed with.

But my take away from this conversation was heavily weighted by player management. If Bob can improve to halfway not-so-bad at managing the personalities on this team, we should make the playoffs. While I feel my initial pick for 6 might be the low end now, RW needs to start off well this season for me to really change that.

9. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adjusting cam5's prediction above for bias, its equivalent to forecasting us into the MLS Cup.