1/14/2013, For posterity's sake....

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Jake Folan, Jan 14, 2013.

?

The Crew's Eastern Conference position at the end of the 2013 season?

Poll closed Jan 21, 2013.
  1. 1st

3.4%
  2. 2nd

3.4%
  3. 3rd

3.4%
  4. 4th

15.3%
  5. 5th

15.3%
  6. 6th - Miss the playoffs

23.7%
  7. 7th - Miss the playoffs

16.9%
  8. 8th - Miss the playoffs

16.9%
  9. 9th - Miss the playoffs

1.7%
  10. 10th - Miss the playoffs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012
    Hey now, a lot has transpired since this thread was initiated. I'll post another one a week before the season starts to see how sentiments are trending.

2. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. A LOT has changed. I'm a ton more optimistic than I was 5 weeks ago. I still have some nagging doubts about our coach's ability, but I'm super impressed with the collection of talent that Bliss has amassed on this team. On paper, this appears to be a better team than 2008. At least to me.

3. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I'd wait a while before saying we're better than in 2008. Apart from the head coach, let's see if Higuain can run the offense to the tune of 19 assists and become MVP as Guille did. We also had better fullbacks with Gino and Frankie then than we do now with Williams and Wahl. I'm certainly more optimistic now than a month ago but let's see how the regular season goes.

JayFunkeyFresh repped this.
  4. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh hell no. Stand by your predictions and don't puss out.

5. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll stand by fourth

6. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supporters Shield and 1st round playoff exit.

foozer and American Brummie repped this.
  7. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm with Cleazer. 6 weeks ago people were ready to head down to the stadium with pitchforks and now there seems to be a bit of actual optimism. If you were doom and gloom before I will be glad to feed you some humble pie come October.

8. Jake Folan

Jake Folan Member

May 24, 2012

If you read the direction of the thread, my prediction was that I was going to post another thread 1 week before the season started and again at the halfway mark. I also can now predict will post one at the 3/4 mark.

FWIW, I still think we are going to miss the playoffs.

9. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fire RW? Wrong thread? Right thread?

10. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still say miss playoffs but I will move up one spot to 6th in the East. I think our defense will be shakey especially in the beginning and our offense will 80% come from Higuain and Arrieta so can be slowed. And then there is the coaching decisions. So just miss the playoffs seems right.

11. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My prediction of 6th and miss the playoffs was more along the lines of coach doesn't get as much out of the team as seems possible. I'll change my vote to 3rd and make the playoffs with coach doesn't get as much out of the team as seems possible taking effect in the first round of the playoffs.

That being said, pass me some Crew-ade. Sanchez and Viana look like a great midfield pairing. Oduro brings us speed we haven't had in a while; and with Higuain feeding him the ball, he'll get the chances he needs to score a few goals. Plus, Arrieta and FH33 together for a whole season will be great. Depth could still be an issue, but our starting lineup has me pretty optimistic about how far this team could go.

12. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There have been intervening facts since this poll was created. It would be perfectly reasonable to change your mind in the face of intervening facts.

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one should ever base their opinions on facts.

ZipSix, chr1st and American Brummie repped this.
  14. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking that the "better than 2008" quotes were becuase they thought this *team* was better and the offense would not just have to run thru one single player like it did with GBS in 2008. At least that's what I thought they were saying.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yes, that's what I thought they were saying too. IMO it's too early to say that. In fact the 2008 team got off to an excellent start to the season so it's hard to see this year's team improving much on that.

16. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think some of you understood what I was saying..... I think the words "On paper....." are sort of important in this context.

Looking at the projected starters (not sure who the other midfielder will/should be, compared to the '08 Cup starters, I count 6 of the 11 that I think are or will be (this season) as good or better as those starters. I count 5 that are probably worse. It's tough because I dinged Marshall '13 version as being worse than Marshall '08 version, but Gaven '13 is better than Gaven '08. I also slated Oduro to be as good or better than tRR '08. Frankie and Gino better than Williams and Viana, Glauber at least as good as O'Rourke, and Sanchez at least as good as Carroll. Whoever plays that other midfield spot has to compare to Evans '08, so that's a tough road to hoe.

Hopefully the formatting shows through.

2013 Projected Starter 2008 MLS Cup Starter
    Andy >= Hesmer
    RB Williams < Frankie
    Marshall '13 < Marshal '08
    Glauber >= O'Rourke
    Viana < Gino
    Oduro >= Rogers
    Gaven '13 > Gaven '08
    Sanchez >= Carroll
    MF to be named < Evans
    Higuain < GBS
    Arrietta > Moreno

hardhead and American Brummie repped this.
  17. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This needs to be in context of the year and a half the 2008 team had to learn each other.

18. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I generally agree with all of these except Oduro. Especially with Dom playing on the wing rather than up top, I'd rather have 2008 Rogers every day of the week. But I hope he proves me wrong.

Macgruber repped this.
  19. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    FYI, I think the proper lineup comparison will be:

Wahl < Gino
    Viana >= Carrol
    Sanchez <= Evans (?)

20. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Also, I think the jury is out on this one. Maybe:

Glauber <= O'Rourke?

21. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team obviously has to come together. No question there. I am excited by the offensive possibilities. I am excited about the long term prospects beyond what can be done this year.

We've never had a season where more than 2 players have had over 10+ goals. We've only had 4 years where that has happened at all, the last being McBride and Buddle in 2003. The '01 team had 4 players with 7+, with only Cunningham leading the way with 10.

This team has that kind firepower. Could we see 3 with 10+? Of course, goals don't translate to championships as the '08 squad had 0 10+ scorers. Something to be said for balance, as maybe our 2nd best side ever in '01 had a nice balance. But that balance is where this '13 squad excites me. I could even see 4 guys topping 10 and when you have that balance a rising tide raises all ships. Like the '01 and '08 teams with these guys the opposition is going to have to pick their poison.

It all comes down to the central midfield where we've been terrible basically since the Carroll Evans pairing.

22. Macgruber

Macgruber Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These comparisons are based on zero facts. Our current group has never won an MLS championship. They've also never not won an MLS championship. Until this season is over, we have no idea what kind of results these guys are capable of.

23. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know.... I see the point to your argument. However, I find it hard to believe that Glauber could be much worse than 2008 Danny O'Rourke at Center Back. I don't have the stats, so it's COMPLETELY anecdotal, but how many reds did he earn in that role that year? PK's given? I want to say 2 - 3 on the first one, and 4 - 5 on the second one?
    So, in my mind, anything better than that, plus 1 - 2 set piece goals is better.... perhaps equal to, but certainly not worse....

On the Oduro/tRR..... that is probably my weakest argument on there. tRR was mostly an unknown prior to that season, and he had an AWESOME season. My gut says that Oduru will link up pretty well with our FWD crew and create some offense, much like the '08 version of tRR.
    He will most likely then be promptly benched (ala Meram) for not being responsible on defense.

24. crewfan_in_columbus

Feb 25, 2001
    Columbus is home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100% Correct Assessment. Which is why they are my opinions.

25. Macgruber

Macgruber Member

May 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Is it March yet?