지·구 특공대 @ FC Augsburg 2012-2013 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Sergei Mantis, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Chupacabra1

Chupacabra1 Member

May 16, 2012
    I feel like Augsburg really needed to win this. What a missed opportunity. Koo impressive as always

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I also feel Ji should've scored a goal by now.

3. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I know Ji is really young. But am I the only one that doesn't think highly of his talents?

4. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We've had this argument and it has gotten very intense in the past. See Ji's old thread. I'm on the same boat with you but I really hope him being with Koo and getting playing time will get him some goals.

That being said...Ji is playing for a relegation team and he's still new to this team. Give him some time to adjust (but it's only a loan so he needs to do it fast).

Mudang repped this.
  5. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    People in Germany are very impressed with his loan move thus far. He's changed a relegation team's attack even while playing tucked behind Moelders.

Mudang repped this.
  6. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Augsburg didn't have an attack to start with. They're still not scoring many goals. Not that Ji is a goalscorer, but he can at least create chances. The fact is that because he plays for a relegation team, his skills may shine more than they would otherwise. It happened with Park Chu-Young and his Monaco team.

7. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    Everyone struggles and looks that much worse when playing for relegation battlers imo.

8. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The way I see it, the reason we regard Koo so highly is because he is the focal point of the Augsburg team that escaped relegation. It doesn't happen to everyone and most of the cases, you're correct. But in comparison to his teammates, if Ji was really any good, he would elevate the level of play like Koo has.

Mudang repped this.
  9. jolim24601

jolim24601 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    east coast
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    He's not an out-and-out striker really, but I think he has all the tools to be a great assist man. Plays with his brain, holds the ball well, flick-on headers are Andy Carroll-esque... Kind of a shadow forward.

Mudang repped this.
  10. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

Problem is, Andy Carroll is a strong man. Ji is not.

11. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah, I remember the time when I brought up my thoughts on Park Ju-Young in his old threads. Things in that thread got pretty hairy.

toohyper repped this.
  12. jolim24601

jolim24601 Member

Nov 6, 2010
    east coast
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think I see any other player taking his place really or doing what he does, so it's kind of in our best interest to see that he develops and does well.

13. jinseokyang

jinseokyang Member+

Feb 28, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    OK can we NOT compare JDW to CARROLL of all people? :D

skimmilk and Mudang repped this.
  14. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    :confused: If you dropped in KJC into Swansea for instance, we would be seeing even more efficiency/higher output from him than with teammates who struggle to connect simple one-twos.

The comparison between KJC and JDW is also problematic for two reasons. KJC has spent almost two years with this group and is their creative playmaker. Whereas JDW is the foil and linkage who allows Moelders to play target man up front with little effort devoted to tracking back or pressing early on transitions.

I don't see the reason for complaints. He's playing well and the manager has been giving him a lot of minutes, because he's doing a good job of what is being asked of him.

15. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I wish I could watch Augsburg play more often. But if JDW plays the "foil and linkage" where does he go? There are long stretches where he simply disappears from the field of play. Augsburg doesn't score many goals and if Moelders is the "target man" that isn't scoring efficiently, then something has to be wrong with the foil too, right?

The problem with Ji is that he isn't that fast or creative. He's a technical shooter who has no aerial ability. I don't know how JDW's time at Augsburg is going to make him a better player, but I hope he proves me wrong.

Mudang repped this.
  16. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    What do you mean by he has no aerial ability? :confused: His best KNT goals have been headers. He just needs more match minutes. He's thus won a majority of his headers since he's been in Germany for the past month.

He's been rolling left so Werner can cut in. Or he's been positioning himself just outside the box whenever KJC goes into the box to support Moelders.

The decision to not play two up front is the manager's decision. And if Mainz is parking the bus and the manager decides not to crowd the box but have late runners into the box, then that's a tactical decision.

Mudang repped this.
  17. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    JDW's KNT goals have been scored against Syria, India, Uzbekistan, Ghana, and Lebanon. His U-23 goals have come against Iran and GB. Other than the Ghana and GB goals, not very impressive.

Hodori, you're missing the big picture here. We know JDW's skills set and game. For a technical shooter without aerial dominance, can you tell me where how he is going to improve from here? His movement isn't bad, but he lacks the pace to slice through defenses. JDW's game is not complete and I can see LCY, SHM, and even KBK phasing him out of the KNT (And we all know how much I love KBK... :rolleyes: ) . If I'm proven wrong and JDW absolutely beasts for the KNT, I'd be more than happy.

danmooj1, toohyper and Mudang repped this.
  18. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    How am I missing the big picture here? These are the questions I personally ask while I watch him during his career rehabilitation phase away from Sunderland:

1. Who else is a better replacement for PJY to play the position in front of KJC other than JDW? LDG is not an option for me... SHM is not a viable option for the no. 9 until WC18 (if ever).
    2. If he has no aerial ability, how did he manage to win a bulk of his headers during the Olympics and during the past month in Germany despite rotting for 1.5+ years on the Sunderland bench? He has a good vertical and an ability to score with headers, so after another two years of strengthening his core, how would he fare by then? How will he do by his prime?
    3. Other than SHM, is there a forward in his age group that can shoot as well as JDW with both feet from short and middle range?
    4. In the past five years, which forward has gone through a K-League club academy rated as highly as JDW for his talents?

19. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    JDW hardly ever plays up top for both club and country. I'd think he'd be rusty at that point. Not to mention, one of the Barca kids or SHM might be ready as soon as PJY retires. And you know what Hodori, you can be right about his aerial abilities. But from what I see, Ji hasn't scored from his headers in his club career or against meaningful opposition for the KNT. In short, he just retains possession in a congested space.

I acknowledged Ji's shooting ability earlier. However, you haven't answered my question of, "Where does Ji go from here? How does Augsburg make him a better player?" That is the big picture. Truthfully, I don't give a damn about JDW's club academy record. The Barca kids are brilliant, but I'm not claiming them as the next of anything. Ji has been put on ice for almost three years, so his confidence has probably taken a beating.

20. Ohhii

Ohhii Member+

Nov 19, 2012
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    How did Ji do in that game with Croatia? I didn't get to watch. But even back at the AG he was dicking around on the wings and made Park Ji Sung play as the striker lol. Even the maknae forward, Son, positions better than him and he's only going to become physically stronger in the next year. Ji has a great vertical leap(Shows it against Ghana and Uzbekistan) but he just doesn't want to be a striker or something.

21. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    JDW is 21. He needs playing time and Augsburg is giving it to him in spades against tough competition.

If he were missing open chances at goals or making stupid errors, we could complain about him. Fact of the matter is that if SHM were playing for them, he'd be sucking donkeys. Why? Because he played on a bad team last year and was far more useless.

Augsburg is terrible and the fact that he isn't scoring goals is more reflective of the few chances they have and his role in the team.

I don't think his ceiling is as high as other KPAs, but to be a above average BL quality attacking player, as he nearly appears to be, is a pretty good level to be at for his age. He's turned a worthless attack into a below average one. Thats a pretty good indicator of his quality.

danmooj1, olijolly, Mudang and 1 other person repped this.
  22. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  23. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Jitevra, skimmilk and Mudang repped this.
  24. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  25. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    the girl next to KJC looks cute