€-Moneyball; High and Low Finance Football

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  2. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe, but if they signed a legally-binding contract, Chelsea may have recourse in a court of law.

3. Nope, you cannot have clauses in contracts that go against regulations of the organization you are a member of, as you signed to those rules. This only doesnot count when those rules are in themselves illegal.

aveslacker and Orange14 repped this.
  4. A research into the payment of top sporters revealed that the club with the highest wages is Manchester City, followed by two New York clubs, baseball and something else.

It is then utterly ridiculous as a teenager to go to ManCity, as you will not get any chance to get into the team, unless you are a player of the big Orange team at 16 years.

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As I suspected UEFA will really not do too much to enforce financial fair play. they should just have one sanction - no CL football. Clubs will be willing to pay a fine and have a reduced roster for matches since the big price is the revenue coming in.

6. Oh dear, a Belgian court has given a verdict of a player club conflict, I forgot his name and club, but I think it was Genk.
    This is going to be as disastrous as the Bosman verdict.
    In short it makes a player capable of tearing up his contract with only 6 months pay worth of damage payment to the club.
    This is going to shatter the value of players in transfer money worth.

7. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    = Dahmane case ... yes, the club is Genk ... Dahmane's lawyer, Luc Misson, was also involved in the Bosman case - HLN.be (article in Dutch).

8. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Unsure if Boyata can resist this kind of money ... Bossaerts and Denayer might go down that road too ... both are promising talents at ManCity but might have benefited more from a similar career path as Mangala (Standard, Porto, ... ManCity?).

9. How can someone be eligable for the label home grown player, when he only played one match for the first team?
    You donot need talents in that case....go out in the street and sign a bunch of shit players for a pay they will not earn normally, but is way under what is offered to that ManCity guy. I am shure you can hire a complete team of nobodies for the pay they offer him!

10. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a load of bull. "you spent too much money, therefore your punishment is that you have to pay more money" Yeah, that makes a lot of sense, punish clubs that spend too much by making them spend more :rolleyes:. so 100m over budget is now 160m over budget. FFP was always only going to affect the smaller clubs. We see clubs that need the european football money being blocked from it because they don't meet FFP standards, but teams with wealthy owners who can afford it are only given fines and allowed to keep playing in Europe.

The only thing that could make these teams stop violating is a ban from the CL. There might be some owners who would be satisfied with only being able to compete in the EPL, but how many players would be willing to sign for those teams if there was no chance of CL football? Not many ambitious ones, that's for sure.

12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    FFP is a protectionist measure to ensure that the rich and arrived clubs stay at the top. It's also a measure to guarantee that the arrived leagues stay at the top and can run away now from the poorer leagues as TV money and commercial revenue attract so many international flows these days. This is especially the case for EPL. Their power to generate money has become very strong and further guarantees that they can attract better players as in poorer leagues they have to comply to FFP also, but do not have the equal revenue, not even close. Better players lead to a better league, leads to more revenue from TV money and commercial activity's. They basically made sure that their snowball kept gaining momentum while at the same time sucking all the poorer league's dry.

FFP has been a way to pull the ladder up by the arrived clubs and arrived league's (especially EPL) so others can't climb up fast anymore, or actually can't climb up at all. It was an appeal to people's sense of financial fair play, while the whole sport does not have equal (financial) starting conditions to begin with. It's a joke.

Lupin III and Orange14 repped this.
  13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So we had a bunch of top Euro teams over here in the US for something they call The International Champions Cup . They had some very large crowds and all the matches were on TV. Yesterday's ManU/Madrid game has 109,000 people at the University of Michigan football stadium! I wonder how much the participating clubs are getting paid for this. I know that van Gaal was unhappy about ManU's participation as he called it a distraction. Nonetheless his team is now in tomorrow evening's final against Liverpool. Just another case of the rich getting richer. I would have loved to see Ajax play in this but the Eredivisie schedule made this impossible and they probably don't have the same cachet that they had 20 years ago when they were contending in the CL.

EDIT: Ticket prices for the final range from $US45 - 285, very steep for an exhibition match.

aveslacker repped this.
  15. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Exhibition match? No its the final for a top club championship!

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Article in today's New York Times says Russian football executives are worried that Putin's actions will lead to loss of CL football and perhaps even the 2018 World Cup! The Russian FA has allowed three Crimean teams to participate in the first round of the Russian Cup and enter one of the lower divisions. Ukraine has objected to this. I think there will be increasing pressure on FIFA to change the venue of the WC to England.

17. If Blatter has to change the venue I hope the English FA pisses him off major league, so to give us the WC18.....o wait....van Praag has shiited him in Brasil...oh no, oh no, those frecking Ajaxieden:x3:

18. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Can we change the 2022 venue while we're at it?

Lupin III repped this.
  19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    IMO the odds are 60-40 AGAINST the 2022 being held in Qatar. I suspect that there will be some large under the table payments uncovered (aka bribes) that will bring outrage to the front.

Lupin III repped this.
  20. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Garcia had finished his rapport in June ... FIFA keep postponing its release ... first week of september now ... just a few weeks to speculate about the content.

21. Lupin III

Lupin III Member+

Mar 17, 2011
    Denmark
    Club:
    Brøndby IF
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You should all know Evil always wins, remember Olympics 1988? Nagoya should have had it Seoul bribed their way, the protest from Nagoya only gave them World Expo in 2005 as a sorry for 1988 elections.

22. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^Television money rules the day; as long as the EPL has such huge TV money coming in they will forever be the leader. Interesting about Spain, we have two clubs that buy and 18 clubs that sell; unless they reform the way they apportion TV money the league will be no more in a couple of years (of course Madrid and Barca will fight to keep the status quo). I was also surprised about Serie A. I thought they might be close to even in terms of transfers in and out.

24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hopefully no England. Then they would get what they want with their hypocritical and dirty media campaigning.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I was only thinking about Euro countries with stadiums that could host matches. I don't think they would go back to Germany so quickly. Maybe the US could be a site?