€-Moneyball; High and Low Finance Football

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Feb 27, 2012.

1. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
    Just announced by KNVB

Ajax, Almere City, Go Ahead Eagles, FC Groningen, SC Heerenveen, FC Oss, PSV and Volendam are all in the highest category 3 and considered the most healthy.

ADO Den Haag, Fortuna Sittard and Emmen are in the lowest category 1.

All the other clubs incl. AZ, Feyenoord, Twente and Vitesse are in category 2.

http://knvb.nl/nieuws/29422/knvb-maakt-categorie-indeling-clubs-bekend

BTV802 repped this.
  2. CANADA-AZ

CANADA-AZ Member

Feb 3, 2005
    Hamilton-Canada
    in Europe some teams try to play by the rules--and those that don't --are ignored

RULES ARE FOR FOOLS--is their motto

If you read the Swiss Ramble --Man U is leveraged at 500 mil to pay for the original purchase--some bank is sitting with this debt--do you think they or Barca or RM are ever going to play nice and report accurately their accounting?

3 teams made money in England this year and they have a monster TV deal

My thinking is the Bundeliga is the best one--it looks like any team has a shot at winning--not the case in any other of the top leagues

this is insanity and it could be like the savings and loan fiasco of a few years ago except banks and govts( in Spain) are promoting and pushing the inequality

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL, I'm sure there must be an asterisk after PSV's listing because of their bailout by the fine citizens of Eindhoven two summers ago. I thought Twente were in the top group last season along with Ajax. I wonder what caused the to slip down a notch; they don't have any big salaried players.

4. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice to see some smaller clubs in good financial shape. I also wonder about Twente. Perhaps johan neeskens can give us the details.

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm not sure. I think it's to do with the stadium repairs (unforeseen expenses) or some such. Twente books are public so we'll soon find out.

On the plus side we got some extra cash from Benfica because they made it to the Eurovase final with Ola Ole.

6. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Am I right in thinking that there is stadium expansion going on? Or is that still planned? I could see that affecting it.

7. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Yeh this summer. 'Canals' are filled up and the corporate hospitality rooms are expanded. We apparently have sold more corporate hospitality rooms than ever before, so that can't be it either.

I think it might have something to do with the Burrda fiasco.

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  10. s7kru

s7kru Red Card

Dec 13, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They have one of the best scouting systems in the world.

11. he so scrumptiouz

Jun 1, 2006
    amsterdam
  12. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rebaño_Sagrado repped this.
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Swiss Ramble presents a nice financial overview of the EPL HERE. You can see how the television money and merchandising impact teams bottom line. Both of these revenue streams are not available to Dutch teams (or if they are it's miniscule). In a nutshell, this is why even Ajax, the wealthiest team in the Eredivisie, will never threaten to win a fifth CL trophy.

15. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

Yep, and it will only snowball further, widening the gap more and more. We already see it with sales of Anita to Newcastle. Not that long ago an Ajax core player would not have left for such a club. Now that player is even sitting on their bench.

To keep a nice Eredivisie experience and enjoy Dutch clubs, a fan needs to possess proper status loss management skills. Not sure if there is any country hit harder by Bosman and the international financial developments as Eredivisie/Netherlands. I also agree with your prediction. A Dutch club will never win the CL again.

16. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^imagine if the Bundesliga had a decent television contract! Bayern are so prosperous because they are the best at merchandizing of any club in the world. I think they have sold naming rights to almost every item of clothing that their players put on and I wouldn't be surprised if the toilets in the arena don't have sponsor's names on them!:eek:

18. Perhaps the wrong place to post it, but whatever..
    If the plans of the Dutch gouvernment go ahead in reforms of the labour market, the Dutch clubs are going to ditch the academies as these have no sensible purpose anymore.
    The plan encompasses the automatically changing of a labour contract after two years in a contract with unspecified duration, which can be cancelled with 1 month notice.
    This means that Dutch clubs cannot reap the benefits of their academies as their talents will walk out of the door when they are going to be of interest after 2 years.
    So when these plans are going to be real without dispensation for the soccer clubs we will descend into Luxembourg levels.

19. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Isn't it just the total knock for professional football in the Netherlands in general? How can a Dutch club make big investments in a player, paying a big transfer sum of money if he can walk out of them after 2 years? Let's say a Strootman (who had a 5 year contract) would not have opted for a transfer for his club, but more salary for himself. He would just have waited a bit longer and then signed for Roma. Maybe other big clubs would have offered him even more money than Roma and would have made it even more attractive for him to terminate his contract.

I mean it's not only youth, it's also any significant investment a club makes. It's pretty much the end of football in the Netherlands. I believe the minister has started looking into this matter. Exceptions can be made, so maybe better to wait and see what will happen.

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    It is also disastrous for the overall knowledge based economy, but that as sidenote.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Quite right and this is just weird. Are there other EU countries that have similar labor/contract laws? Certainly we don't have anything like this in the US.

22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Don't know in detail.

I know that the government wants to make the labour laws more flexible, less strict and more liberal.

23. Antario2

Antario2 Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Football be damned, wish they'd reduce the period to a year or less. Employers have been taking advantage of youth contracts and flex workers/temps for far too long now. It's bloody hard to get a mortgage right now without a unspecified duration contract.