Πάμε Γαλλία (Greece's Road to France 2016)

Discussion in 'Greece & Cyprus' started by SF19, Feb 16, 2014.

1. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    #1 SF19, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
    [​IMG]
    Pots were announced for the qualification draw set to take place one week from today. We're ranked 7th among European sides according to the UEFA National Team coefficients, so that places us in pot 1. As such, we avoid the toughest sides, although we could face one or both of Belgium and France (France is set to participate in friendly fixtures since as hosts they automatically qualify).

According to UEFA, the qualification process undergoes as follows:
    In total, 24 sides will qualify. No official announcement, to my knowledge at least, has been made as to how groupings and knock-out procedures will proceed at the finals. My only guess is that it will oddly resemble something like the 1994 World Cup, which also had 24 participants: the teams were divided among six groups of four, with the top two teams and the best four third-placed teams qualifying for the last 16 knock-out stages.

Odds are that we will qualify, but that task will be made very difficult should we draw a group containing any one team from each pot as listed below,
    Pot 1: Greece
    Pot 2: Belgium / Croatia / Ukraine / Denmark / Switzerland / Sweden
    Pot 3: Serbia / Turkey / Poland
    Pot 4: Montenegro / Armenia / Wales / Bulgaria
    Pot 5: Iceland / Albania / FYROM
    Pot 6: Kazakhstan

These sides aren't necessarily capable of beating Greece, but they could prove thorny opposition, either for reasons of national/political rivalry (Turkey, Albania, and FYROM), travel and climate (Iceland and Kazakhstan), the level of quality and depth (Belgium), the general quality of the side (most of the teams indicated), or the enormous quality of certain star players (Gareth Bale of Wales).

2. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We could not have asked for a more favorable draw.

Our opponents:
    Hungary
    Romania
    Finland
    Northern Ireland
    Faroe Islands

We should to win a little more emphatically this time and aim to integrate players like Ninis, Tachtsidis, Fortounis, Fetfatzidis, Mavrias, Samaris, Stafyllidis, Triantafyllopoulos, and Kapinos into the team. There's no reason why we can't turn some of them into regular first team members. Besides, we need to move on from the bygone era of Karagounis, Katsouranis, Tziolis, and Salpingidis. Frankly, it's overdue.

3. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    Thank you for that btw. You guys always had easy groups so it's nice to be part of one. Although I don't like that our first game is away to Greece our teams should easily qualify

4. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yea, when will this happen ?
    you would think after this WC, the change HAS to be made, with the 2016 Euros in mind

lets see who is on the World Cup roster
    and see how many of those guys get playing time

5. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    After the World Cup, we won't have a choice but for a changing in the rearguard. Hopefully, Mitroglou is in fine form, are center-backs are in tip top shape, and Fetfatzidis will have matured enough to be a revelation for us at the finals. That might be enough to build off in the future. If Ninis, Fortounis, Samaris, Stafyllidis, and Tachtsidis get back on course, the future will look good.

6. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Last week's friendlies saw Romania impressively draw against a full strength Argentina. Maxim could have had two goals. One of his chancels went in, but it was disallowed because the linesman determined the ball was out of play before the cross swung in. Pantilimon, on the other end, was more than titular on a few occasions.

Finland played out 2-1 win against fellow group rival Hungary. It took a late penalty for Finland to prevail in Budapest.

Greece disappointingly lost to South Korea, 0-2. We hit the post three times, but our performance was very subpar.

7. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

hi guy, i'm here to promote a documentary i am doing currently about my experience of the world cup 2014 i had in new york city. i went to places all over to watch the games. i had a fantastic time. i documented my experience and i am here to leave you with a trailer of the documentary and will be premiering later in august. hope you guys enjoy it when it's uploaded.

for greece, i went to three games. their game against colombia, japan

and the game against costa rica

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Subscribe.

9. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    We're last place! Behind Faroes Islands! I can scarcely believe it.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been abysmal to say the least. Shockingly bad. The national team is crap, teams are crashing out of Champions League and Europa League really early. Just a bad year for the sport in Hellas.

11. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i havent followed for a bit

theres a new coach ?
    what do you guys think of him ?
    has he been calling in young players, since theres no chance of advancement ?

12. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I can tell you that Samaras is more or less finished with Greece, which I'm sure is music to your ears. He signed up with some club in Saudi Arabia for the next three years. Also Markarian, the new coach, played Giannotas as a sub.

13. roxbury

roxbury Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    i still think anything can happen in this group.

don't give up mate.

good luck in the upcoming games.

regards,