¡Boniek se va al Houston Dynamo!

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by The_Ponce, Jun 5, 2012.

1. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ponce was there. I had lunch with him and he said he was really cool and easy going. I'll let him fill in on the rest but heard nothing but good things.

2. Barrelhead

Barrelhead Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wish he had picked a number other than 27, last guy to year that shirt ruined it for me.

3. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jaqua?

4. Barrelhead

Barrelhead Member

Jul 24, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Worse....Koke.

5. JC507

JC507 Member+

Jan 21, 2007
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, how could I forget? That was bad.

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real class move by the Dynamo, already issuing the number for the legendary Koke - what a lack of respect for our beloved Spanish superstar

Levy2k6 repped this.
  7. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. You'd think that number was retired.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And guess who had it before him: Sammy Appiah. Surprised that a permanent "27" wasn't carved into the rafters at BBVA Compass

9. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that explains all the people with "27" tattoos at Dynamo games.

cfig and Hydro repped this.
  10. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Las Hamacas
    [​IMG]

HASP
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The HASP pictures were taken by the one and only nbrooks503! He didn't really seem to have that much of a problem with the heat. He talked about it when asked but other than that he seemed okay. He has some nice footwork as is expected and reacts in a nano-second whenever he receives the ball. I personally asked him which position he preferred and he said right wing. As a person, he's a great guy. He mentioned how there are three players that speak Spanish. Is it just or is Dom forgetting Spanish? He doesn't seem to use it anymore when the opportunity arises and he had a translator. I remember he used to yell commands in Spanish.

anderson and JC507 repped this.
  11. DavidLikesToWin

Apr 30, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    There was a translator for personal use between Dom and Boniek? If so, he probably just wanted ot be able to communicate very swiftly and efficiently. But I'm almost certain that Dom knows Spanish, I could've sworn I've seen him give a couple pre/post-game interviews in Spanish. Not super proficiently, but correctly. And I'm sure when it's shorter commands in practice and especially from the sidelines during games he's got no problem.
    I thought the translator was for Boniek's interview with the media.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Honduran spanish is quite difficult to understand at times.

13. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well during training I heard the "rules" of the mini practice exercise being told to him by a translator. After that the translator was not present so you're right. I just thought Dom wouldn't even need one for media. However, judging from my visit to Las Hamacas and the weirdness of ordering a Coke.
    I'm gonna agree with Catracho Azul. Lol.

14. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boniek may need to call Landin and ask him the secrets of Landin's weight-management plan.

The picture above looks like you are visiting a refugee camp and you are feeding their poor hungry souls. Or donating clothes.

The caption should read "Here, Mr. Poor Skinny Refugee. Have these clothes and this hat to cover the sun. Your chirren can use this scarf in the winter. I also brought you some water"...

15. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was hoping to bump into you, sir, I don't know WHO I was looking for but all BigSoccer posters tend to look dazed and confused so I was looking for that confused look in the crowd to talk to a fellow BSer.

16. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Las Hamacas wouldn't allow my pupusa truck nearby.:mad:

I owe you a kiss on the forehead for saying something cute a while ago (can't remember what it was you said... something like "in my mind, the Dynamo are always winners").

tigerheadsaints, JC507 and The_Ponce repped this.
  17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Garcia have a nickname? I was sort of thinking that we could go with something like "Boner Garcia" for simplicity and humor.

Sort of disappointed we aren't playing Chivas USA again this year. I used to love hearing Christian Miles say "LowCo GarCEEEAAAHHH" twenty times a game when he played for Chivas, like he was at some low rider competition. I can only imagine how he'd butcher Boniek's name.

18. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    His jersey says "Boniek".

19. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    because thats his real name lol.

No he doesn't have a nickname. Yall should come up with one. Make it catchy btw

20. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Catracho, nobody can come up with anything better than BONIEK!

21. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nicknames come with time. As long as he provides great service from the right, I'm happy.

I went to the Hamacas event. Boniek was a very gracious guy. Don't know how much English he knows (my Spanish is lacking at best) but he was extremely kind. Y'all are right about his size. Corey Ashe, for example, may not be tall, but he's pretty built. OBG looked like he might blow away with the wind, haha. He did have one of the widest smiles I've ever seen on a pro athlete. I don't know whether he likes it here or is just that happy to be out of Honduras, but in any event, I can't wait for Saturday. This concludes my rambling about things that will likely have no bearing on the field.

I went to the adidas store event as well, but when I asked Bruin how training was, he didn't seem impressed.
    That could be for a number of reasons (first day; roster spots, etc.) though, and I didn't want to force the issue.

22. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who were you? From my pics you clearly know who I am...hahahaha

23. redinthemorning

redinthemorning Member+

Apr 26, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've said some admittedly stupid stuff on here, so maybe I shouldn't divulge my secret identity too much haha.

Seriously though, I'll post a picture later; I'm on my phone. I was the tall, lanky, scruffy guy in the green and white button-up. Your table was against the half-wall, yes?

The_Ponce repped this.
  24. The_Ponce

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, I saw you, but can't recall how you looked. Should've said hi! I had in the past posted my pic on here. I would've thrown tons of beer money your way. I tend to do that. I would've gone to the Adidas thing with you. I was about to go, but in the end got the call from JC507 a tad too late.

25. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. So how do you exactly pronounce"Boniek"?
    --How do the Hondurans say it?
    --How do the Poles say it?
    --How should a Texan say it?
    2. About nicknames, until #1 is answered, i prefer to say OBG.