23 Tickets to Brazil

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by flem16, May 18, 2011.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Arguing for Boyd, we have ...

http://www.nysun.com/sports/as-focus-shifts-to-size-demand-for-dribbling-wanes/44214/

Discussed (though not with particular intelligence or wit) here ...

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/klinsmanns-clarion-call-all-tall-small-fall.443067/

{Note the date = November 2006}

2. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So judging by the fact that you ignored it, I'm guessing you don't want to revist the claim re: the last six months?

Jozy has been doing the dirty work for a bad Sunderland team all year. Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that experience? Someone on the front line is going to have to absorb that pressure. Might as well try to take lemons and make some caipirinhas or whatever the hell they drink down there.

I'll be at the SF match in person, and I'm very curious to see what the plan is in the last preparations before the cup kickoff.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  3. RCool

RCool Member

Dec 27, 2013
    Long Island, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boyd was ahead of Wondo all throughout qualifying. What changed? Two games that Boyd wasn't available for?

4. NMMatt

NMMatt Member+

Apr 5, 2006
    I mean it's not a given that Wondo is ahead of Boyd, given that we don't have a clear apples to apples comparison, but I'd think it's pretty obvious. Since qualifying ended, Wondo has really made a case for himself whereas Boyd has yet to make his case at all, even during qualifying. Wondo won a Gold Boot at the Gold Cup, then scored three goals in two matches leading into the camp. Boyd has yet to net his first goal for the US.

Also, notice that Wondo has moved in front of EJ among US based players. EJ was already in front of Boyd during qualifying. Honestly, it really is more of a question of whether Klinsmann sees Wondo ahead of Aron Johannsson. Johannsson is clearly ahead of Boyd as of the last European friendlies, yet we can't be sure where he rates next to Wondolowski at this point.

5. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grant Wahl @GrantWahl · 13h
    Not just MLS players but virtually all non-MLS players expected for start of US pre-WC camp on May 14 at Stanford. 26 to 28 players likely.

Hmm. I was hoping Klinsmann would call in a full 30. There seems to be lots of competition, and there's always potential for injuries in camp.

6. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get why he doesn't do replacements or gives himself some breathing room. Just call them and send them home later. It's the World Cup, not a friendly with Jamaica.

7. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Gotta agree, he should call the full compliment of players.

On the other hand, JK has never been one lacking in confidence, nor conviction in his beliefs. If he only needs 26-28, then I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that the other 2-4 players aren't anywhere near the final 23 barring 3-4+ injuries and that it would be a waste of time to have them take some focus away from the other 26-28 players who are REALLY in the mix. Calling this few players shows how difficult the decisions are at the bottom, imo..and those decisions will call for JK's full attention during pre-camp.

8. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

I think he has this one wrong.... I can think of a 30-man roster that would be useful in weeding out useless players. He's doing himself and the USMNT a disservice. IMHO, the most important positions JK needs to weed out for are the FW's and the entire backline.

9. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I don't totally understand what Wahl is saying here. Is he just saying that virtually all of the non-MLS players that will be on the 26-28 man roster will be available at the start of the camp?

10. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    Yeah I better hope this is true for the sake of his sanity.

Because Klinsmann has never been one lacking in confidence nor conviction in his own beliefs, you have faith in Klinsmann's belief that the other 2-4 players aren't anywhere near the final 23?

Hahaha.

11. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    He is saying that Klinsmann wants (virtually) everybody to be in camp at the start of the camp. No extra days off for anyone, regardless of location/league schedule.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think you see Aron going to Brazil because we need at least one forward who can dribble down the touch line in the attacking end. The term "better than" is a little vague. Better at what? Boyd and EJ have a similar player profile. I think one goes, not both, because we have enough central attackers and not enough wide playng forwards.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Klnsmann has spoken before about the ideal number in terms of training for a particular match which I think is 23. It is likely that he adds supernumeraries, 3 - 5 more say, based on injury/fitness reports.

14. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    As in, he feels there is such a gap between, say, the 28th (or 26th, or 27th) player and those behind that player that he doesn't feel the need to call them in. I thought this was pretty clear in my post but apparently not.

I'm not necessarily saying I agree with that, but I imagine this is how he sees it if he isn't even going to call in 30 players to camp.

15. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    #4615 ImaPuppy, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    My thinking is that Klinsmann feels he has seen enough over the course of the cycle where the weeding has generally been done..at least down to 26-28 players if that is all he calls in. Why would he call in players that he wouldn't feel ok with naming to the 23-man roster?

Edit: The point about 3rd and 4th keeper that Mr Martin just mentioned is something to consider.

He is saying that not only will all MLS players be there (as expected since it is in the U.S.), but also all non-MLS players (perhaps unexpected because of the important time in the season for some of them?)

OGx3 repped this.
  16. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the camp I could easily see JK bringing in only the top 2 keepers -- Howard and Guzan. Why bring in Rimando, even if he is the 23d player on the Cup squad. Rimando's form would be better playing real matches with his club until right before the Cup. Same goes for any possible 4th keeper like Sean Johnson, assuming JK lists a 4th keeper on the required 30.

So, right there I could see why only 28 players come to camp out of the 30-man pool. But who to leave off to take the camp number down to 26 is harder.

OGx3, Berks, Footsatt and 2 others repped this.
  17. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well, given JK's posturing on the roster, he has pretty much made up his mind, so I'm sure he won't deviate from this 23 man roster......

Goalkeepers(Sub - S. Johnson)
    -----------------------------
    Howard
    Guzan
    Rimando

Defenders(Subs - Beasley, B. Evans)
    -----------------------
    Yedlin
    Chandler*
    Cameron
    Gonzalez
    Besler
    Goodson
    F.Johnson
    Parkhurst

Midfielders(Subs - Edu, Williams)
    ----------------------------------------
    Bradley
    Jones
    Beckerman
    Bedoya
    Zusi
    Diskerud
    Donovan
    Dempsey

Forwards(Subs - Agudelo, Boyd)
    -----------------------------------------
    Altidore
    Johannsson
    Wondolowski
    E. Johnson

I guess this would be an ok roster. I wouldn't be too thrilled about it. Edu could be useful in an already suspect defense. JK was looking like he was ready to book Shea even though he plays in the Championship.... I would like to see Danny Williams get a look since he's on form. It wouldn't hurt to give Boyd and Agudelo another look either. Make the "lock" out-of-form forwards earn their ticket.

SPA2TACU5 repped this.
  18. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    So you think he's already picked the final 23? I highly doubt that.

For instance, Green is still surely in the mix and isn't even listed in your substitutes. You may also see a guy like Orozco-Fiscal, Castillo or Torres sneak into the 28 and make a case for themselves.

He may not be calling in 30 players but there are still some spots up for grabs.

19. PStevenson1082

May 28, 2012
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

He's close enough... Like you said.. He's not using all of his 30 for camp so he has a pretty good idea of who he wants. Castillo isn't going to make the 30 because in most of his caps(if not all of them) he has been subbed off due to poor performance. Defensively, he's tactically inept. Torres's name hasn't been called in almost a year so I doubt he gets a call now despite his regained form. Orozco has an outside shot, that's if he gets the call for camp. There's really not much of a difference between Orozco & Goodson. Both have flaws.

This is why JK needs to use his entire 30. "Leave no stone unturned."

20. Footsatt

Footsatt Member+

Apr 8, 2008
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is kinda what he is doing... there will be 30 guys on the list, but only 26 - 28 guys from the list that will be in camp.

21. SPA2TACU5

SPA2TACU5 Member+

Jul 27, 2001
    ATX
    The plus side of Jurgen huge salary: it's become nearly impossible to bribe the man.

22. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    This is the sort of thing about Klinsmann that simply drives me crazy. I temper that by remembering that most of it has worked out fine in the end, but... C'mon, Klinsi...

Berks repped this.
  24. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 days (between player club WC releases and 23 man roster is due) is not enough time to bring in 30 and evaluate all. I have no problem with him bringing in less than the allowed 30.

25. FlipsLikeAPancake

Jul 6, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, according to that Grant Wahl tweet, Klinsmann wants guys in camp by May 14th. The final 23 man roster is due June 2nd, so that would give a solid two weeks of evaluation. Though as we saw from Altidore last year, just because he wants a guy in early for training doesn't mean that he will be able to secure their release. Still, even if he could only get the MLS guys in early, it would give a chance to evaluate plenty of fringe roster guys.

Also, while Wahl tweeted that he expected 26 to 28 players, it is worth noting that Klinsmann did say this the other day:

"If it was tomorrow, I'd give you the 30 names," Klinsmann said. "But, obviously, we want to see a couple of more things over the next couple weeks. But we are close, very close to have a really clear idea about those 30 guys."

So, maybe he will call in 30. Or perhaps the last few guys will be alternates on call but not actually brought in. I dunno.