Big Soccer Ad Engine

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by FlapJack, Apr 24, 2014.

1. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    OK. So I'm sure all of you are tired of the Tijuana kits for sale floating across your screen. I've noticed I am now seeing Leonardo and Rogers kits prominently displayed.

Surely this has to do with what's being posted in our forum. Is it specific to what each poster types? Or is it a general automated search algorithm for the whole forum? Or threads that each user follows?

Any tech savvy folks have comments? Anyone look at Big Soccer's underlying code?

Any crackpot conspiracy theorists have comments?

I also thought we could use this thread as an experiment. If we picked a player to mention extensively to see if that player's jersey would then prominently be displayed in vivid advertising.

Berks repped this.
  2. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Celestine Babayaro - legend.

rokstedy repped this.
  3. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

<<GoogleAdWareBot>>On sale Now!<</GoogleAdWareBot>>

barroldinho, rokstedy and MPNumber9 repped this.
  4. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kate Upton in the shower.

gveli001, tehphil, Skevin and 5 others repped this.
  5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Labeling it an engine is probably rather generous. Based on a very cursory test it seems to have very little intelligence about it. Using Chrome in incognito mode from a spoofed IP address I get the exact same ads as I do when logged in with my legit IP address. Tried the same with Safari, IE and Firefox both logged in and in “private mode” with the same results.

The ads are time based, but they are identical across browser for that time period regardless of logged in state, IP address, or thread (i.e. they’re the same in the “Expectations for Robbie Rogers” thread as they are in the “Beckham in the Media” thread two very specific threads one would assume would trend towards Rogers and Beckham gear).

I think it’s as simple as associating a product category or categories with a board. The Xolos stuff is either an oversight or there’s some analytics data to show enough visitors to this board are coming from the San Diego/Tijuana area. The prevalence of Rogers and Leonardo is likely a form of biased memory.

profiled repped this.
  6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Just an add-on that was far from a comprehensive survey, there may be geographic considerations taken in to account, spoofing an IP doesn’t necessarily eliminate identifying features nor does running in private mode on your browser.

You could test that by having several posters from various parts of the country take a screen shot of the ads at the same time and posting the results in this thread.

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I am in NC and I have 3 Xolos and one Landon kit and one LAG pennant on my screen.

8. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Same with me in LA

9. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Los Angeles

Galaxy Samsung case ($19.99!) - LA Galaxy Replica Third Jersey ($84.99) - Xolos Cap - Xolos Hoody - Xolos distressed women's T-Shirt

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Just FYI guys & gals the ads rotate at a set interval. Comparing the ads is only relevant if several people do it at the same time.

11. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm in Long Beach and I have a machete, an Alan Partridge rubber mask and assless chaps.

AmericanKaka, Berks, Topper and 5 others repped this.
  12. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - I have a paid membership and don't see the ads...

That being said, if Barroldinho's trick works with Kate Upton, please let me know so I can create a guest account....

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You don't see any ads? Supposedly I have a paid membership and I though I just have reduced ads.

14. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope I don't see any.

Maybe I get an old-timer's special dispensation...

15. Namrog The Just

Namrog The Just Member+

L.A. Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 2, 2007
    Baltimore County, Maryland
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do they want for the assless chaps? It's not for me of course. No, really, I was just curious because, you know it's, uh, I have a friend who... What I mean is -- I'm doing this whole research thing and, Whoa, look at the time, gotta go.

TrickHog and barroldinho repped this.
  16. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ads are geographic - at some points I get served San Jose ads, which drives me nuts when I have Xolos gear and Quakes gear at the bottom of my screen.

The system has also finally figured out I'm female as I have a Xolos women's shirt being offered. Then I have 2 LA jerseys, a watch and a wood sign of Stub Hub. I think the watch and sign are in relation to my shopping on One King's Lane. So whatever code the site is using is somewhat intelligent.

What annoys me the most are the weeks of Xolos gear.

17. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm being offered an Image Coming Soon.

18. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it's gender-specific: I get the women's gear ads too. In fact, right now, all I have are women's Xolos stuff and Leonardo jerseys. It's like this nightmare.

Berks repped this.
  19. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah Berks - not gender specific unless it thinks I'm a chick. I get women's shirts offered repeatedly.
    But right now I'm on a male streak: Gonzalez jersey for a DP price of $140.45, Donovan "replica" secondary jersey for the low price of 105.45, and then various Xolos gear. So what is a "replica" jersey? If its not a replica does that mean it was Donovan's actual shirt and has his sweat on it? :)

20. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Can we just post Kate Upton for about 5 pages straight and see what happens?

21. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Agreed on gender, unless you’ve specified it in you BS profile, the BS ads work when disconnected from the larger ad network cookie-based ones that track you from site-to-site. I’m curious about geography though, I’m browsing from “Ukraine” via Tor everything, but still getting identical BS ads. Maybe it doesn’t kick in until you browse from a location within an MLS market.

22. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wonder if Steven Lenhart's BS account displays ads of feminine cleansing products.

rokstedy repped this.
  23. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least you guys are being served up player jerseys. Mine are just generic ones. And right now 4/5 slots are Xolos focused. How do I have 1 LA shirt to 4 Xolos items?

P.S. The ad at the bottom is much better (the non-soccer related one). There I get links back to actual sites I've visited or goods that make sense. Right now I'm getting perfume.

24. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The LA Galaxy home office chair--which is just an office chair with a Galaxy logo in the spot that you cover up when you sit down--is my favorite product.

25. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You ask for a lot but let's give this sample set a try.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Skevin repped this.