RSL 2014, Season X News Thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by Ismitje, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? How many MLS club presidents are coaching one of their academy teams? Maybe Chris Klein, maybe?

I think that's awesome.

2. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm with you on this. Kids at this age like to stick with the team they have been playing with and the friends they made on their teams.

The team is currently coached by Bill and has been for a few years. His son is on the team.

15 to 32 repped this.
  3. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shane is a local. He played for Alta and I think he signed with the Blitz right before they folded. I think he also played for the Freeze.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He coaches the team because his son is on the team as is Shanes

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What club?
    I'm guessing Sparta based on location. That'll go over well with other clubs.
    Note: it doesn't matter what club was picked, everyone has something bad to say about the other clubs.
    Thanks for the info - couldn't find anything on a basic google search so I just threw it on here.

As for manning coaching - seems really weird. And if his son and Shane's son make the team (ha ha... if...) then this is a gigantic step in the wrong direction. No matter what you do, there is a conflict of interest in that situation. By that age, I feel parents and even relatives/friends shouldn't coach.

6. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

UMMMMM yes Sparta.
    UMMMMM yes their sons will make the team.

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I thought we dropped Josh Saunders in the offseason?

But he is still with the club? I'm confused.

8. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone said he's training with the team, just to get/stay in shape. He's not on the roster, though.

9. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Makes sense. I've just seen him at the last few practices decked out in RSL gear - kinda threw me off

10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised nobody picked him up. He's a solid goalie and could probably start for half the teams in the league, easily.

11. WasatchDuck

WasatchDuck Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Downtown
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Maybe they are worried about his ACL

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a class A licensed soccer coach, president of arguably the best MLS club and has won a USOC as a player. I think he and possibly his offspring are legit. Did your kids not make it or something? Your ruining my groove man.

RSLer, 2nd Mouse and 15 to 32 repped this.
  13. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stuart Smiley is funny. The best is the one with Michael Jordan. Can you believe he is a Senator now?

What relevance this has to Manning being a coach is beyond me.

15. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your line about Manning's qualifications reminded me of the Stuart clip. That's all.

16. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just don't like the conflict that a father/son setup brings.
    Prime example: Bradley's. Michael Bradley was/is a top notch player. People said he only played because his dad was the coach, though. It's detrimental to both sides.

17. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It makes it easy for people to overlook the talent of the player if they are the coach's son. Or, you can run into the problem of the kid slacking off and thinking it doesn't matter because his dad is the coach.

15 to 32 repped this.
  18. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are plenty of A license coaches that get outcoached by B and C licensed coaches. Hell there are plenty of pro coaches that suck. Lets say hypothetically, that maybe Bill is just an OK coach, and maybe his current club didn't feel like he was producing with the talented players he has. So instead of having a new coach come in and help with the team, he says I'll take all of these players and form a new team for them. And maybe he has some connections;) and calls this team Real Academy. This is all hypothetical of course.
    I've heard that he used to coach his son over at another club and maybe things didn't work out there either.

19. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very difficult situation to have success with. I've only seen it work a few times.

SenordrummeR2 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no problem with Bill coaching the team from a general perspective. Just wish there was this kind of initiative to get the club structure going without it obviously being connected to his kid.

21. RSLEast

RSLEast Member

Jan 26, 2008
    East?
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I think people might be getting the causal relationship completely backwards on this coaching thing. I suspect most people end up coaching their kids team because their kid is playing, not that the kid plays because the parent is a coach. Let's say your son or daughter plays soccer and you are somewhat inclined to coach. Are you going to miss going to all of their games because you have a commitment to another team. Seems unlikely. I doubt that there are dozens of world class coaches clamoring for the opportunity to coach youth soccer. So it's probably pretty important for parents to be involved at various levels of the organization in order for it to be properly supported. That's not to say that there aren't abuses, but I would guess that parent involvement with the team is more the norm than the exception. Others on this forum could probably better speak to that from experience.

Ivensor and Ismitje repped this.
  22. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hold it, didn't you just provide the best example of where it wasn't nepotism. Michael Bradley was exceptional and he is arguably one of the best US players ever.

You guys just see a conflict of interest & nepotism. I'll continue to be cool with the fact that our decorated and properly trained president involves himself at the youth level.

Battler and RSLEast repped this.
  23. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are correct with a lot of this post. The problem comes when the coaches kid is treated differently because dad is coaching. The other kids on the team notice this.

RSLEast repped this.
  24. realsparta

realsparta Member

Jul 22, 2008
    All over
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He is one of the best players NOW. Not so much when dad was coaching.

RSLer, 15 to 32 and SenordrummeR2 repped this.
  25. SenordrummeR2

SenordrummeR2 Member+

Jul 21, 2008
    Layton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go back and read articles from the road up to and through WC 2010. Many people constantly critics inc Michael and attributed him playing because he was the coach's son. It wasn't until after Bob was released that people qued in on how good Michael actually was.