News: DC United 2014 - News, Speculation, and links

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I was reading today on La Gazzetta dello Sport that there are rumors of him becoming coach of Sydney FC. But Del Piero has never denied his interest for MLS... he's aged but so is Di vaio... He still remains a great player and a great person

2. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he would get physically destroyed at his age and size regardless of his amount of skill

3. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Perhaps... not sure though... I've seen in very few players Del Piero's determination... I don't much about the A-League but I think it hasn't been quality enough for him to express his potential, I believe in MLS it could be different

4. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I think he could be a nice addition. He's scoring every other game in Sydney. I'm sure the Aussies play a physical game.

5. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  6. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He reminds you too much of Robi Baggio? :))

7. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Physical yes, but not technical enough for him to express his (still) real potential - doesn't help that the team pretty much sucked last year and basically this year as well, and the coach was almost as tragic as Olsen...

8. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Del Piero is like 39-40, that is really old for a field player. And now for the surprising part, I watch a couple A-League games a week and he plays hard and still produces. He is a second striker, started 23 games, played 24, 14 goals, 5 assists, 2039 minutes, and played well in Sydney FC's semi final loss. Of coarse the big issue is money, how much is he worth, well we know he will be paid for more than his on field skills. He is not a lazy player, but this has to be a 1 year deal and then we will see.

9. FayMountaineer

Jan 11, 2007
    Fayetteville,NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2012-2013-10 best

2013-2014-

10. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    We should be targeting younger players like Veron and Shevchenko ... (seriously ... they're both younger)

Speaking of which ... I've heard that Shevchenko's wife is from the DC area

Barbieri, Alejandro 10, sitruc and 6 others repped this.
  11. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it means firing Chad Ashton, let's do it.

Murr, Barbieri, Alejandro 10 and 4 others repped this.
  12. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, what?

Sounds more interesting to go to than the game at FedEx, sadly :cool:

Fulham In Florida ‏@FulhamFlorida
    RT: Confirmed: Fulham will visit Jacksonville, FL for friendly against @dcunited on July 26th. Stay tuned for plans for the game from us!

sitruc repped this.
  13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I guess that's to keep players sharp over the WC break?

14. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Del piero rumor fills me with lament.

NASI GORENG and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  15. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    What, George Weah wasn't available?

Barbieri and Boloni86 repped this.
  16. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Del Piero
    First, it's never going to happen.
    Second, I would love it. He's a fun player to watch, a good guy and he plays hard.
    Third, he would be a positive presence for United's young players. Silva, Martin and DeLeon could learn a ton from him.
    Fourth, I think he's too old to be effective in MLS, it's too rough and tumble. However, in CCL, the style of play of Central American/Mexican teams play would suit him. He has so much experience in international tournaments and playing on foreign soil, another thing this team lacks, and he's scored buckets of goals in those tournaments.
    Fifth, he's amazing with free kicks, scoring over 40 in his career (over 60 penalties as well). If United could use him sparingly in MLS, he could be a difference maker (move Espindola to a wing and play Del Piero underneath EJ, a la Higuain - it could work).

I'm biased, he's a favorite of mine. If he came summer to summer, I'd be excited to see what he could do, and I would love to buy a Del Piero jersey. Having said that, I don't see how United could pull this off without breaking the bank and that would be a mistake, so for the sake of the team I hope they steer clear unless he's dirt cheap.

Winoman repped this.
  17. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    I think that's the All-Star Game break. So, a friendly will keep our players sharp.

Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Sounds similar to Gomez 2.0 - Didn't contribute much in regular season MLS games, but really showed his worth in the CCL games

Will the amount of money we have to spend be enough for him?

19. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006

That's more productive than Fred or Allsopp in their Aussie days, for whatever that's worth.

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Truthfully, I don't really care about what happens on the field, as much as what happens off the field. First issue is cap room, I have no idea we'd get it, unless we could pay it down or somehow structure the "coach" part of his deal to make it work. Which would be fair, because that would honestly be his most important role here. Bring him to orchestrate the attack. I have a lot of confidence he could make it work. And I like that Ben would be over top of these other two coaches as the guy with MLS experience helping direct the entire machinery. This is an idea that could work. And if it means Ashton is expendable, or reassigned to reserve/youth/brewing coffee, then great.

As for him as a player, yes having him as a late game sub, say 15 minutes, to create stuff and take free kicks would be helpful for this team. At what price? That's up to Thohir to make it work. At the DP cap hit, as a player and a coach, to me, it might be worth it.

As for trying to use him on a regular basis, I haven't see him enough to know, but my guess is the speculation that our league would be too hard on him is correct. Otherwise, if he's supported by our bucket in a 4-2-1-3, where he's the 1, it might actually work. That's what I'd try.

21. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've read, he still has the goods but his body is breaking down. He has back problems and he has a hard time playing a full match in Australia.

22. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    nothing against him and i really wouldnt complain if DC brought him in

i've never been a fan of his, not in a negative sense: i've literally never watched him at his club
    seen him at a bunch of international tournaments but i dont remember falling in love with the guy (which doesnt mean he's a poor player)

i cant think of many players i'd be happy to see on our roster past age 37

zlatan? ronaldinho? giggs? bergkamp?

23. fischy

fischy Member

Aug 27, 2006
    On the Fulham match in Jacksonville -- I presume that will use up a special ticket for STHs, but the team will allow us to exchange the ticket for the U23 match of our choosing?

Q*bert Jones III and DangSkippy repped this.
  24. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

133 goals and 86 assists with Juventus - he's a number 10 in the Christian Gomez mold. Just what the team needs - if this was 2006. Still a big fan, though.

Barbieri repped this.
  25. Theopisa

Theopisa Member+

Pisa Sporting Club
    Italy
    Oct 7, 2008
    Venezia
    Club:
    Pisa Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Let's say that he may be slightly better than Gomez...

NASI GORENG repped this.