Officially announced: SEC Network (owned by ESPN)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by WPS_Movement, May 3, 2013.

1. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    More than 1,000 events will be televised in the first year.
    The Big Ten Network only had about 400 live events in their first year, with at least 10-15 of them being college soccer matches. This should mean that SEC Network will televise at least twice that.

AT&T Uverse has already jumped on board and agreed to carry the SEC Network.
    ESPN will now try to get the network on other carriers, including DirecTV.
    The launch of the network is indeed in August 2014, starting in the fall (college football and soccer season).

http://www.mutigers.com/sports/w-soccer/050213aaa.html

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Yeh.

The PAC 12 network still isn't on DirectTV. good luck to the SEC, though.

3. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    ESPN will ensure that the SEC Network lands on most/all major providers.
    Pac 12 network(s) don't have that luxury in backing them.

ESPN has more experience negotiating with carriers than any other sports network in history.
    Pac 12 Network is 100% owned by the conference, and they are virgins at negotiating with carriers.

4. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Probably true but would you bet on it?
    I think there's a chance this entire revenue model could come crashing down in the next 10 years or so. I read that Cable and Satellite subscriptions are net-down for the first time ever as people turn to on-line and direct content providers more and more. Articles everywhere about "ditching the cable" and sports programming, especially ESPN, is one of the most expensive content providers for cable/sat. I almost wish I wasn't addicted to sports on my TV so I could tell comcast to take a hike (worst customer service in history perhaps).
    A la carte on-line programming direct from the provider is the wave of the future. Order direct from the SEC but still need a high speed internet connection.
    Could be Apple/Google vs ESPN/Comcast - not sure who to bet on!

5. redd38

redd38 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Only about 550 events will be on TV, the other 450 will be on the web.

6. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Let us know when the SEC network makes it to Comcast, DishTV, or DirectTV without any package upgrades.

7. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    It would be on the Sports pack with DirecTV (if DirecTV carries it).

8. redd38

redd38 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    If you don't live in the SEC footprint then that's not going to happen.

9. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

I have the sports pack ( and the Latino pack, which actually carries more college sports than the sports pack)

no hint of either the SEC or Pac12 for next season.

So the special conference stations are vapor ware so far.

10. redd38

redd38 Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Well the SEC network doesn't start until the 2014 season, so I'll be shocked if you see it on ANY provider next season. :p

11. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    There will be a lot more national demand for the SEC Network than the Pac 12 network.

12. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Nationally? I doubt it.

At least there won't be broad national demand. Few households in large sections of the country where there aren't SEC teams will select their provider on the basis of the availability of the SEC or the Pac12. Even in PAC 12 country there hasn't been any great shift towards Comcast, the only provider in the NW who currently covers the teams in this region.

The satellite providers are even growing with respect to market share against Comcast.

In Portland, Comcast also has the monopoly on the pro basketball team, but they are in third place right now.

For one thing, the providers are pushing back hard against the fees networks want to charge.

13. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    The SEC (football) games are demanded nationally a lot more than Pac 12 (football) games are. And football is what drives this engine. There are usually 4 or 5 SEC teams ranked in the Top 10 nationally here over the past few years, where as there's usually 1 or 2 Pac 12 teams ranked in the Top 10 nationally.

AT&T u-verse is getting the Pac 12 Network:

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...se-agrees-to-terms-deal-expected-this-summer/

14. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  15. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  16. orange crusader

May 2, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
  17. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Yep, 25 matches televised on SEC Network, and 5 matches televised on ESPNU.
    Every SEC tournament match will be televised on SEC Network (except the Final which will be on ESPNU).
    Additional games will be broadcast on their online platform (ala ESPN3).

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/05/2014-sec-volleyball-soccer/

18. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am trying to figure out why Florida gets 4 games televised and just about everyone else gets 2.

19. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    #19 WPS_Movement, May 17, 2014
    Last edited: May 17, 2014
    Of the 30 games being televised (actually 21 games, since we don't know who will be in SEC tournament yet) :

Florida = 5
    ------------------------
    Missouri = 4
    Arkansas = 4
    ------------------------
    Texas A&M = 3
    Kentucky = 3
    LSU = 3
    Auburn = 3
    Georgia = 3
    Mississippi = 3
    Vanderbilt = 3
    ------------------------
    South Carolina = 2
    Tennessee = 2
    Alabama = 2
    Miss. State = 2
    ------------------------

Two of the ones that stand out to me are South Carolina and Tennessee.
    South Carolina is usually a Tier-1 SEC team (Top 4), and Tennessee is usually at least Tier -2 recently.
    Alabama and Mississippi State at 2 games each is to be expected.
    The one that stands out the most, however, is Arkansas. Are they really worthy of 4 games?

*Games include SEC Network and ESPU.

20. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  21. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
  22. WPS_Movement

WPS_Movement Member+

Apr 9, 2008
    Done Deal with DirecTV, for SEC Network (as of earlier this afternoon).

Even though there is no mention of Longhorn Network (Texas Longhorns athletics), the inside word is that Longhorn Network will also be part of the new renewed deal with ESPN/Disney to be carried on DirecTV soon. Last but not least, WatchESPN (ESPN3) will be available for DirecTV subscribers soon, even though no official announcement has been made.

Also, doesn't look like Pac 12 Network(s) will be on DirecTV this year, and may not happen until AT&T officially owns DirecTV (which may take almost a year for that to go through).

SEC Network (DirecTV) official release:
    http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2014/08/directv-provide-new-sec-network-august-14-2014/

23. jimhalpert

jimhalpert Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure wish Verizon Fios would get with the program. There are rumors that they are in negotiation but nothing yet. I don't want to have to put a dish on my house.