2014 US Open Cup...

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by msilverstein47, Jun 17, 2013.

1. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. fridge46

fridge46 Member

Oct 23, 2011
  4. mikehurst21

mikehurst21 Member

Oklahoma City Energy FC
    United States
    Nov 6, 2013
    Moore Oklahoma
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's an (IMO) oddity given all the talk of "geographic" matchups:

Round 2:
    May 14

Real Colorado Foxes (PDL) at Des Moines Menace (USASA)

May 14

Colorado Rovers (USSSA) / Red Force (USASA) winner at Laredo Heat (PDL)

The Rovers and the Foxes use the same stadium. Why wouldn't you match up the Foxes and the Rovers/Red Force winner and the Heat and Menace? Worst case Red Force is travelling to Denver (again) instead of Laredo, best case is that the USSSA team doesn't have to take an expensive road trip to Laredo.

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it'll be an entire 9-day window - and right before and during the beginning of the World Cup - where we'll have to put up with Ted and the other idiots with their stupid pro/rel tweets and discussions of how simple it would be to set up a league that competes with MLS and blah blah blah blah blah the usual US Open Cup mid-round bullshit. Oy.

To me, the Oklahoma City/Tulsa and Richmond Kickers/RVA matchups are super intriguing, as is the potential Michigan Bucks/Detroit City tie.

(Oh, and I almost forgot the inevitable and super-stupid "Why aren't these games all on TV?" tweets.)

GIO17 and JasonMa repped this.
  7. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    I'm only hoping that the Red Bull US Open Cup game will be that Wednesday June 11th or Thursday June 12th.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have relatives near Binghamton and I see from the schedule that Binghamton has a club in the U.S. Open Cup. I'll root for them in addition to the Red Bulls.

9. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    next year Binghamton (NPSL) should be playing a regular season match at Clarkstown, c'mon up and I'll show you around!

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I was looking at the 4th Round window for the MLS entry into the tournament. Saturday, June 14 is already scheduled to be a home game for the Houston Dash women's team which also plays at BBVA Compass Stadium. Anyone know if the USSF would allow an Open Cup game to be part of a double-header?

I have no idea if the Dynamo are considering this possibility and, of course, it would be dependent on Houston getting the right to host the game. I just thought it would be an interesting combination. The Dash drew 8,000 for their first (and only so far) home game this season.

11. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh yeah certainly for the right price anything is possible in the USOC...lol

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has happened before.

• July 22, 1998, all four quarterfinals were played in two doubleheaders, one in Chattanooga (Crew/Fusion and MetroStars/Mutiny) and one in Dallas (Fire/Clash and Burn/Nashville).
    • August 4, 1998 both semifinals were played as a doubleheader in Metairie, Louisiana (Fire/Burn and Crew/MetroStars).
    • July 14, 1999, the Rapids played the (then-A-League) Sounders in a 3rd round match while the USMNT played Derby County in the other half of the doubleheader.
    • September 1, 1999, the semifinals were a doubleheader in Virginia Beach (Rapids/Charleston and Rochester/Crew)
    • June 15, 2000, the Fire played the D3 Pro League's Texas Rattlers and the Chicago Sockers played the Kansas City Wizards in a doubleheader in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
    • June 27, 2001, a second round doubleheader in Milwaukee had the Fire against the San Diego Flash and the Milwaukee Rampage against the Utah Blitzz.
    • July 11, 2001, a third-round doubleheader in Richmond had the Kickers against the Connecticut Wolves and DC United against the Hershey Wildcats.
    • August 7, 2002 the Crew and MetroStars played on Long Island in a quarterfinal while the Carolina Courage and New York Power played a WUSA match.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better than a half-header, when 1 game counted for two competitions.

Colorado was drawn against Tampa in 2000 (+/- a year) in the USOC, coincidentally on the same date they were already scheduled to play at Tampa in league play. so the game counted for both competitions.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Thank you very much.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    August 13, 1999.

And Tampa Bay. :)

JasonMa repped this.
  16. DrAnguish

DrAnguish Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure how they went about the draw this year but I feel like some teams got royally screwed in the Southeast. Take a look at these 3 games:

Ocala Stampede (PDL) at Orlando City (USL Pro)Seminole Soccer Complex; Sanford, Fla. – 7:30 p.m. ET
    Panama City Beach Pirates (PDL) at Charleston Battery (USL Pro)Blackbaud Stadium; Charleston, S.C. – 7:30 p.m. ET
    Jacksonville United FC (NPSL) at Orlando City U23s (PDL)Seminole Soccer Complex; Sanford, Fla. – 4:30 p.m. ET

So let's see here: The Stampede WON their PDL division last year, Panama City came in 2nd and Orlando City came in 3rd... repeat THIRD. So Ocala gets to travel to the defending USLPRO Champions, PCB get to travel to a USLPRO venue, and 3rd place Orlando City U23s get a HOME game vs an NPSL team, as part of a doubleheader with OCYS's USLPRO team (making sure they actually have fans in the stadium)?

To me that draw wreaks like garbage. Ocala gets royally screwed here and it seems like OCYS U23s get some odd preferential treatment.

17. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doctor, nothing screwy here at all it's just who can afford to pay the freight...

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't it a blind draw (since 2012) if both teams' facilities meet the minimum standards?

One thing I do know for certain is that nobody on earth would go out of their way to "royally screw" the Ocala Freaking Stampede.

19. SJJ

SJJ Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Royal Oak, MI, USA
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think that applied to the first round(s). It was more a case of splitting the teams into "who can host" or "not host" lists, then matching them up afterwards. Then they guesstimated matchups for the second / third rounds in a similar manner.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This is the explanation from TheCup.us in 2012.

I'm pretty sure this process is still in effect.

21. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even though it said, specifically, "in the first two rounds?"

22. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live about an hour from there and I wouldn't go that far for an NPSL game. I'd rather go to a Red Bulls game.

23. DrAnguish

DrAnguish Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me reword: OCSC looks to have gotten some preferential treatment for their 3rd place PDL team. That better?

24. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States