Who Is The Greatest Dribbler Ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Dearman, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

The Greatest Dribbler Ever

1. Garrincha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maradona

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  3. George Best

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. Ronaldo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Messi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  6. Impossible to know

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I cant stand ramires ..awful player and i hope chelsea get hammered by atletico and liverpool... Whatever line up mourinho uses in those games will be much the same result... Dull negative dour football

Pipiolo repped this.
  2. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I know that R9 is one of the best strikers ever... That was not the question to the debate..

3. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You dont smoke drink or indulge in anything !!? ... I cant believe that.. Everyone has a vice !!... I bet you are a defensive midfielder ? !!!

4. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I couldnt make a comment about women last night ! My girlfriend was looking over my shoulder and she nearly saw that picture of j-lo !!

5. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I too am a great admirer of argentinian football...and i think that with some of the teams they ve had since the days of maradona they should have at least got to another world cup final...

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bang- cock ?... Isnt that a place where the gary glitter type people go ? ... Lol

7. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well even though I am Chelsea fan. I think it would be nice to see Liverpool becoming Champ again after more then 2 decades. Albeit, i hate the douche racist Suarez though. But I'd appreciate Liverpool raising the trophy this year. They have deserved it. But Chelsea will get it next year!

Jaweirdo and giles varley repped this.
  8. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Women are my vice and weak side. I can't get enough of'em. I don't care about getting high nor drunk. Nothing beats the enjoyment of having fun with a woman while sober! But that is me. Giles, i cannot afford to drink cause I am an athlete. I still compete in sprinting now and then. Indoors 60 meters. I have been a sprinter for all my life and have been a sportsman since childhood. Gymnastics age 5-8 (got medals), kick boxing age 9-15 (no medals but got me a broken jaw!:ninja:) football age 15-present (local youth Club to senior amateurs), athletics: sprinting age 21-present (stopped 100 meter a few years ago and now only concentrate on indoors 60 meters, I guess it must be my ageing:notworthy:)

I just cannot handle alcohol well. My body rejects it and i get sick. But a glass of wine occasionally on a date is always my good 'ol companion;)

9. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This Summer might be their chance.

10. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Chelsea fan !!! .. Well nobody is perfect !

11. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Who do you support?

12. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fair play to you... My weakness is women too.. I only smoke about 7 joints a week..i dont drink.. I am physically fit
    But probably not at your level.. But i can still run rings around the 20 - 25 year olds at futsall and five a side so i am proud of that.. I used to be a very good amateur/ semi pro footballer.. I did not know you were an athlete but i respect your obvious commitment mate

greatstriker11 repped this.
  13. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well i was named after johnny Giles a leeds united legend because my dad was a leeds fan so i supported them growing up..but really i am a leicester city fan because thats where i grew up.. I am not a proper fan of those teams i just like watching good teams.. I was always fascinated by international football but in recent years i feel the international game is secondary to club football.. I dont really dislike chelsea i just dont like mourinhos tactics at times.. But he gets results

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    @Jaweirdo - forgot to mention, Argentine cuisine is better than Brazilian.
    You are a clear example of the type of excuses used to burnish Ronaldo's reputation. No one was talking about Roanaldo being unfit while Brazil hammered Japan and Ghana, but once France sent them home and he was completely shut out again by them, all of a sudden he is unfit and it was not the true Ronaldo. Reality is Zidane, five years older, already past his peak and with a lesser supporting cast, completely outclassed him again in a WC match.

15. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #3565 greatstriker11, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    In terms of the Clubs I support my list overall is in order of preference:

1. PSV (since childhood it's always been a family tradition)
    2. Barca (since childhood due to Cruyff years player and coach)
    3. Chelsea (currently living in London so....)
    4. Flamengo (since my teenage years due to Zico and Romario)

But i am not a die hard supporter of Chelsea though. But in EPL that is the Club that stole my heart for their successes in domestic and continental. Flamengo has been my favourite Brazilian Club then Vasco. Zico and Romario forced me to follow these Clubs since 80's. Barca has always been my favourite Club since my all time idol is johan cruyff. So that says it all. And PSV I have been supporting since birth. It's a family tradition to support PSV since most families lived in Eindhoven and we have always hated Ajax and Feyenoord. :D:D

But players i support in terms of preference:

1. Johan Cruyff
    2. Diego Maradona
    3. Romario
    4. Ronaldinho
    5. Laudrup
    6. Stoichkov

If i were to set up my all time team it will have the names mentioned above. The rest doesn't matter to me who to include. In terms of who had an influencial role in my game development that would be Cruyff and Romario.

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    True but they seem to choke specially when there is an early setback during a crucial match. We'll see if Messi and company can change that this summer.

LOL, now I see why you admire Romario, much in common there! :D

17. greatstriker11

greatstriker11 Member+

Apr 19, 2013
    london
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #3567 greatstriker11, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Actually my appreciation for Romario has to do with my youth. My father was and still is the big Romario fan. We kind of inherit it from him. He used to take us (my little brother and I) for long rides to Eindhoven to watch him. We were very young kids between age 12 to 16 during Romario years in Holland. And were learning to play football in youth Clubs. So I grew up watching him for his entire 5 years in my country. Much I learned from watching him. Positioning and one two touches. Building up the attack with simple zig zag/one two moves. Albeit my admiration for his game has to do with style of play, I do admire him for his abstinence to alcohol. Cause i have learned the hard way myself that alcohol can destroy an athlete's career. That is something that helped Romario longevity a lot I guess.

But Johan Cruyff has always been my father (and ours) legend. My father is from Northern Spain (near Logrones). And he always admire Cruyff speaking Spanish. So after seeing Romario joining Cruyff's dream team, it was like heaven on Earth since the two players I have seen in my upbringing had finally teamed up in the same Club. Romario the player and Cruyff the trainer. Perfect. Hahah!

Having said that Ronaldo had a great influence on me and my friends in school. He didn't influence my game though (even though I have a lot of speed in sprinting, in football i am more static and dribble minimally), but I admire him since every body in school did. We had even shaved our heads bald like him to reflect our support for him.

Jaweirdo and JamesBH11 repped this.
  18. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is a good list i cant fault it except for your glory hunting attitude towards chelsea !!! (lol) .. I have too many players to list that i admire but your choices would all be on my list... My favourite teams over the years that i watched live or have seen alot of on vhs and dvd are:

Brazil 70
    Holland 74 - 78
    Brazil 82 - 86
    Flamengo early 80s
    Atletico mineiro late 70s - mid 80s
    France 82 - 86
    Juventus - platini era & zidane era
    Ac milan late 80s - mid 90s
    Holland 1988
    Italy 1988 - 1990
    Argentina 1986-1994-1998 ( also the copa americas between world cups)what the ******** happened in 2002 ?!!

Brazil of the R9 rivaldo years
    Arsenal 1997 - 2006
    Barcelona - when cruyff was player and manager- and the recent teams when they dont bore me !

Deportivo la coruna and valencia from late 90s early 2000s
    Liverpool of barnes beardsley rush
    Napoli of careca and maradona
    Sao paulo of tele santana
    Sampdoria of cerezo mancini vialli

I could go on the choices are endless it seems !

19. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suppose the biggest influence on my football ability was watching the brazil teams of the 80s .. I always had better ball control than the other kids who were inspired by the kick and rush approach of 80s english league football.. I hated the english football culture.. I was born in the wrong country ! To me football was all about humiliating my opponents and i used to cause my coaches so much stress ! In my mind i was George best ! Another big influence on my game.. I hated the way that i could do a great piece of play yet i would get more praise for tackling and booting the ball out of play ! But that was the english culture back then and it sucked.. Thats why i dislike england to this day for what it did to me as a youngster .. The wankers tried to coach the skill and artistic license out of flair players but i got my revenge on those coaches in my early 20s !! Call me bitter but those memories still haunt me today .. I am not trying to make out i was anything special as a footballer but i was damn good at the level i played at and those coaches ruined my early years !!

Jaweirdo, JamesBH11 and greatstriker11 repped this.
  20. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    nice to know more of you ... yeah kick and rush ... haha
    but since mid 2000's most EPL team have changed to play "normal football " now - I mean ball on grass ...

giles varley repped this.
  21. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    Wow your root from the North and you support Cruijjf the Catalan?
    Romario could well be anyone's dream model striker if he wants to be one

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nottingham Forest have changed from 'ball on grass' to more kick and rush in that time though :cry::ROFLMAO:.
    I understand why giles can't support them if he grew up in Leicester now, although he might have enjoyed Forest's football in the 80's/90's as much as any English team of the time. I did anyway. In terms of pure football Clough's teams were the peak although maybe for a while there was more individualism in Frank Clark's team. Anyway, sort of the Brazil of the East Midlands they were lol, but now Leicester are the number 1 team in the region having just won the league to get back in the PL (Forest did just beat Leeds though at the weekend!).

23. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I definitely enjoyed forest under clough and taylor .. John robertson was my fave in that team.. Im not one of those fans who dislike rival clubs ..i would like to see forest in the top flight again ..i go to watch them every now and then..

PDG1978 repped this.
  24. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    yes there were some teams at times from 80 to 90

WHat I meant post WC2002 was the land mark that almost every team in EPL (even England NT) started playing football on the grass since ...

25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I only remember that era from video (and now Youtube) since I'm 4 years younger but although the later teams I used to watch maybe even played purer football at times, that team was still good to watch and moreso because it was so good and successful. Won the league with 4 games to go (although you'd maybe be too young yourself to remember much about that season; I checked how many games it was recently after lanman had posted that Man Utd in 98/99 won the PL with 5 games to go). Robertson is a lot of Forest fans favourite (and an equal amounts choice including mine probably as best player in their history). Pearce rivals him in both categories though and we'll see how he does in charge (did a good interview in Talksport recently, and I'm hoping/thinking he might get us playing a bit more football than his Man City team did as he talked about tailoring tactics to the club in question and it's tradition).