Rapids v Stank Jose P/I/P Sat 4/19 4:00PM MDT

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Jimmydinho, Apr 17, 2014.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I found out this weekend that the Rapids were alerted to Piermayr by Terry Cooke, who served as his U.S. based agent/liaison/whatever in his dealings with MLS.

2. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888 and JasonMa repped this.
  3. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    We will just have to disagree. I would have thought that Buddle's run in the 94th minute of the Toronto game after he gave the ball to Brown would have dispelled any issue about his work ethic or fitness. Buddle is almost always marked when he is in the box and he usually makes very intelligent runs which sometimes requires him to hang back. You can't expect anyone to receive the ball at midfield, play it forward and than out run the ball to the box. Interestingly Wondo came back to help at midfield ( didn't do as good a job as Buddle, Brown or Sanchez) and was not visable in the box. Do I wish Buddle had Sanchez's work effort, you bet. I know there are times when he jogs and I think he should be running, and I know this was a big issue last year. This year --no. I usuually replay games during the week. Take a look, and I think you'll see that he makes the effort to be were he needs to be.

4. The Commissioner

Oct 31, 2013
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I quess the silver lining is that practice should improve the quality of the service.

5. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have to give O'Neill credit for not doing anything in retaliation because he was going to be the one punished if he did since the ref missed Gordon's elbow.
    As for Jahn and Watts, Jahn keeps his elbow down and tries to go shoulder to shoulder, just his shoulder is at the same height as Watts head. I think a red was harsh for that one. If I were the DisCo, I would rescind Jahn's red, and give Gordon at least a 3 match ban.

commercecity and JasonMa repped this.
  6. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the intent behind the video is to prompt the DisCo to take action against Gordon … that was a cheap shot

22SteveD repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm telling myself it was the weather.

8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I would not; I can see how it was seen as a dangerous play. This wasn't a shoulder-shoulder play where you're trying to get a guy off the ball. This was a free hit with very little chance of winning the ball that ended up hitting the guy's head. I don't think that he was intentionally trying to hit the head but he did hit the head nonetheless. And he he did seem to be trying to lay a hard hit on Watts. I don't think the practice of allowing shoulder-shoulder contact should be license to lay true hits on people. (Cf. Bunbury's yellow card shoulder-shoulder hit on Moor in the 2011 playoff leg at DSGP. At least, I assume the YC was for the hit and not dissent or something.)

m vann and 22SteveD repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree with @Totoro on this one. Had Jahn actually had a play on the ball in that encounter then its a harsh red, but Jahn was late and took an added half-step to line up Watts. He didn't mean to go for the head, but if you're going to lay what turns out to be an off-the-ball shot on a guy, then you risk something going wrong and getting the red.

m vann repped this.
  10. ~F8~

~F8~ Member

Sep 5, 2008
    grindin
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Gordon seemed to spend more time on tha ground than doing anything useful for San Jose. I was glad to see him and Wondo so thoroughly shut down. Also, I lean towards liking Piermayr at right back. There are always some instances with guarding subs, in this case Djalo, where you gotta change how you match up with em. I think after a couple initial breaks he wasn't so bad. Honestly I like what Thomas brings to tha starting 11 and having Wynne and Burch as depth is pretty awesome, as they would be starters on many teams.

Using Watts as a D-mid had me concerned at first, but considering he seemed uncomfortable at times, he didn't do too bad. There were a couple instances where Drew Moor was talking to him, seemingly about positioning. But all in all he seemed to read tha game decently there and broke up some of San Jose's counters. He wasn't burned badly, didn't concede anything major, and was able to join on attack going forward. That look he had at goal was perhaps our best all day, nice to see him stepping up to shoot.

Not sure what to make of our substitutions. I thought perhaps our third sub coulda been used to bring out Sanchez or Buddle, who both seemed to be slowing down. Maybe an appearance from Chavez, Hill, Mwanga, something! After about minute 70, where it was obvious San Jose was content with a draw, we coulda thrown everything we had in there. Nice to see a point still earned but as much as we dominated most of tha field, a win would have felt very deserved. I credit Bernardez and Goodson for being among MLS's best central tandems, they don't get enough respect.

Also, attendance was lame. Even with Rockies and Avs games that day, rain, and a non-headline-grabbing opponent like San Jose, I was surprised to see maybe less than 10,000 show up. :thumbsdown:

To end on positives: Powers was strong again, Klute looked pretty good coming back, and Vicente did too, congrats to him on his first kid!

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope disco has some things to add as well for those to incidents.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  12. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
  13. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    That's exactly how I feel about it as well. If Gorden gets suspended and the Quakes loose to let's say Chivas and Vancouver which helps those teams, but in a sense hurts the Rapids I don't like it - even if it is the protocol. What I'd like is for him to be suspended the next time the Rapids and San Jose meet. This could happen with a three game suspension :)

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Jahn incident most are saying deserved red, if for no other reason than if you go in with a hit like that your risking whatever might happen (such as a shoulder-to-shoulder charge turning into a shoulder-to-head charge). The Gordon incident is being seen as a red but with the hope of another view to be sure the contact that appears to be there actually happened.

15. aurelius

aurelius Member

Jul 24, 2007
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    All has been covered except to add that the whining and flopping and all around God awful behavior by Gordon and Wondo were pathetic to watch. I found myself wishing that Pablo were still playing to deliver a much needed message to both of them.

16. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    During the match I focused a bit on both Piermayr and Watts. Both were solid in their defensive responsibilities - except for when Djalo was one v one with Piermayr. Watts did break up a number attacks and was in good position.

Serna is more than energy, he's smart with the ball and technically sound. I believe Bianchi stated he isn't fit for the full 90 at this time. I would guess that Pablo will have him on the pitch a lot this season.

17. Waterboy14

Waterboy14 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    That's Mr. Debbie Downer to you....but anyway, I don't care much about possession if it's useless and doesn't end in penetrating the defense. San Jose had better opportunities to win the game. It shows a lack of offensive quality. I'm happy with the effort from the team and I think that PM has done what needed to be done (solidifying defensive play)with the team to gather points. The post that identifies the pathetic number of shots from the attacking players is what concerns me. The goal is not to be the second loser or first loser...it's to win the cup and this team lacks the quality and offensive prowess to do it. Our supposed DP looks like he's wearing Clint Mathis around his waste and hardly anybody else that makes any significant money on this team is contributing offensively. The positive is that team is performing reasonably well (points wise) despite their shortcomings, but, as comprised this is not a contending team. Of course I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

18. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    It seems like KC had a pretty good season last year w/o much offensive production and not much of what they did put in came from their attacking players. The salary cap and other 'fixed' league variables make scoring 3 - 5 goals/match by having strikers that make 8-figure salaries make slashing runs into the box to receive balls from mids also making 8-figure salaries impossible. On the other hand we can afford the players and strategies that make the other team have a hard time scoring.

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC had 47 goals last year, 8th in the league. 33 of them came from players MLS lists as forwards.
    NY had 58 goals last year, 1st in the league. 21 of them came from players MLS lists as forwards.
    Toronto and Chivas had 30 goals last year, tied for worst in the league. 14 and 17 of them came from players MLS lists as forwards.

So compared to the top and bottom, KC got more from their forwards than the best or the worst. And for comparison they were better than our forwards as well:

Colorado had 45 goals last year, 11th in the league. 24 of them came from players MLS lists as forwards.

COMtnGuy and gschroeder repped this.
  20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    jayd8888 repped this.
  22. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    COMtnGuy repped this.
  23. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Unless he plays for Seattle, LA, or New York of course.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  24. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO