What are Atlanta's prospects for away support?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by fuzzx, Apr 25, 2014.

1. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I was replying to a Atlanta eurosnob on another board who bemoaned the lack of any "away ends" amongst other reasons to reject the team, so I ran some numbers to figure out some distances.

I mean this question in both directions, Atlanta fans going out as well as other SG's coming to Atlanta.

We already know existing teams make a herculean effort and despite the huge distances, away attendance is often high.

I know that Montreal regularly makes the 6 hour trips to Boston, NY and Toronto, as well as less frequent trips to Philly(7 hours) and DC(9 hours) and I know KC fans make the 8 hour trip to Denver in numbers as well.

For Atlanta, this is what it looks like:
    -Orlando(6 hours)
    -Columbus (8 hours)
    -Miami (9 hours)
    -DC (9.5 hours)
    -Chicago (10 hours)
    -Kansas City (11 hours)
    -Houston (11 hours)
    -Dallas (11 hours)

It seems to me that Orlando and Columbus should have the organized groups and the relative proximity to make a trip regularly, and depending on performance and intangibles, DC and Chicago groups may at times make an effort.

I don't know as much about the rest but Kansas City and Houston both have large enough fanbases and organized supporters groups, would they give it a shot as well? Dallas?

And while it's much too soon to say with any certainty, given the lack of proven organized support, how feasible is it for Atlanta groups to make the trip and support their team?

2. terrier

terrier Member

May 31, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Hello Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. Atlanta's one of the few MLS markets with nonstop flights - more than one a day - to every single MLS city. So, there's that.

edwardgr repped this.
  3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    We drive to every game in Chicago and Montreal which are further than Atlanta.

If it's an interesting away from supporter view will go for sure (if there's group like AU for that team, otherwise it'll just become southern NE - close enough to drive but not worth effort).

fuzzx repped this.
  4. westau

westau Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think having the busiest airport in the country would help both ways. It is generally cheap with good availability to fly most places in the US from Atlanta. The only place I personally would consider driving just for an MLS game from here would probably be Orlando. I could see planning some away trips though as vacation tie-ins for places I want to visit or to visit family(siblings in NYC and DC for me would make those easy trips).

5. fuzzx

fuzzx Member+

Feb 4, 2012
    Brossard
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sure, it's fine for a individuals and small groups, but is flying a realistic option for organised support?

The biggest away support happens when you have ultra cheap trips packaged for people to buy, and nothing beats renting a 50 person coach for that.

I would imagine you could have a sub $100 package for all those places, which is the cornerstone of big trips IMO.

6. canammj

canammj Member+

Aug 25, 2004
    CHINO, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Away" support should also mean the team needs to do some marketing of a regional nature like in Macon, Chattanooga, Birmingham etc. Some of these towns have college soccer, PDL or NPSL teams, so soccer should not be a complete stranger. If people are going to Atlanta for a weekend get-a-way, hopefully a soccer game can be worked in.